Map Symbols for Scenario Makers

This is a great resource @Combatintman, thanks for posting it! I've used MILSketch a bit myself, but it runs pretty terribly and is just a pain to use in general. Glad that there is a decent alternative, well besides drawing it all by hand in photoshop.

Is it possible to load your own image into the program to create graphics with, or are you restricted to the google maps view?

4 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

This is a great resource @Combatintman, thanks for posting it! I've used MILSketch a bit myself, but it runs pretty terribly and is just a pain to use in general. Glad that there is a decent alternative, well besides drawing it all by hand in photoshop.

Is it possible to load your own image into the program to create graphics with, or are you restricted to the google maps view?

Same as you with MILSketch - I found it too fiddly and just ended up using it to create symbols whereas this is a lot easier to create tactical graphics.  I've not tried it but it looks like you can create your own image layers, it seems that you still have to specify coords/grids for the corners of your chosen image.  Click the top left menu and you'll see the option. 

Also, if you haven't rummaged it yet, you can change the map type to hybrid, roadmap, satellite, terrain and OSM (Open Street Map).  Go to map settings and click the style box and it offers you all those options in the drop down.

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

BTW - That's an interesting choice of map there @Combatintman.....Is that a Soviet Motor Rifle Division punching through the northern edge of the Fulda gap by any chance?  ;)

Is there something we should know about going on at BfC towers?  :ph34r:

Nope - that would have been one of 3 Shock Army's avenues of approach - probably 47 Guards Tank Division ready to face the (ahem) might of 1 (BR) Corps' 4th Armoured Division.  Fulda Gap would have been a sideshow.  Mind you, they wouldn't have wanted to mess with Hildesheim (although could have been Hannover) - memories fade but I'm pretty sure that where Britain's airborne warriors would have hung out.  I would have been about 60-70 clicks away ready to stop them on the Weser.

Wow. This is one of the coolest things in a while. Thanks for the link. Just dropped a Mech Unit on my cul de sac in New Jersey. The maps print out very well. For those folks inclined, you can make your own wargames if you are not too picky re: the quality of the chits. I have seen similar software over the years. But this seems much faster and just better overall. If the hex grid could made even smaller, what a killer app this might become. Looks like the smallest hex side is a mile long which would be 6 times the size of Panzer Blitz type maps. 

8 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Wow. This is one of the coolest things in a while. Thanks for the link. Just dropped a Mech Unit on my cul de sac in New Jersey. The maps print out very well. For those folks inclined, you can make your own wargames if you are not too picky re: the quality of the chits. I have seen similar software over the years. But this seems much faster and just better overall. If the hex grid could made even smaller, what a killer app this might become. Looks like the smallest hex side is a mile long which would be 6 times the size of Panzer Blitz type maps. 

No worries, I was surprised how easy it was and the fact that you can have MGRS gridlines as well is an added bonus.  As I said in an earlier post, I found MilSketch mega fiddly.

• 6 months later...