Any tactical level boardgames played by CM owners?

I'm a little late to the thread, but I think the choices made so far are good ones. Combat Commander is excellent if you are okay with not having vehicles. And Simonitch's operational games are top notch. If Jason is still around and sees this thread he cam probably give you a long essay on the plusses and minuses  of different systems/designers. Sadly the Combat Commander designer passed away of cancer last fall. If you're looking for something lighter that seems to have struck a cord with many non-wargamers recently take a look at Undaunted:Normandy, soon to have a sequel Undaunted: North Africa by Osprey Games.

Thank you for your input guys. Interesting topic indeed.

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

No, I would not say so. Tactical board games are somewhat difficult to find, but otherwise:

Nothing better than seeing your opponent crumble at the table.... A joy you rarely find in computer gaming.

I don‘t play board often nowadays, but still manage two or three weekends a year.

I play solo mostly. Have no special desire to experience any kind of domination or humiliate myself with losing. Heh.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

I'm a little late to the thread, but I think the choices made so far are good ones. Combat Commander is excellent if you are okay with not having vehicles. And Simonitch's operational games are top notch. If Jason is still around and sees this thread he cam probably give you a long essay on the plusses and minuses  of different systems/designers. Sadly the Combat Commander designer passed away of cancer last fall. If you're looking for something lighter that seems to have struck a cord with many non-wargamers recently take a look at Undaunted:Normandy, soon to have a sequel Undaunted: North Africa by Osprey Games.

Yes, the CC designer passed away - this is why they decided to make a reprint of his CC games.

Will be glad if Jason can chime in - always good to get the ins and outs of every game before one makes the dive - they are very expensive. My current list along with the P500 GMT preorders will cost me upwards of 700€...

Undaunted is not a good solo game I read. I will mainly play my games solo so they need to be good at it.

Will suppport kickstarter Zero Leader from DVG - will be up in less then 2 weeks. Was intrigued to own one Leader series game and this one will fill the spot perfectly.

"While we are at GMT: Have a look at the „The last hundred yards“ series“ (which includes a Pacfic War module) and„Tank Duel“ series."

I did took a look at The Last Hundred Yards - Pacific war module is currently available for preorder. Just skimmed through Tank Duel, will take another look, thank you.

You guys are awesome. 

25 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

„or humiliate myself with losing“

Hm, yes, that‘s the other side of the coin. That can happen, too. I believe, I experienced it once or twice....

Did I not mention the slim chance?😎

Alfa males... You make good war fodder. ;)

45 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Personally I'd pay 700 Euros not to hear his opinion.

Ha ha, OK. Well, I don't know him, should I run for the cover? 

The goal is to shrink the final price paid, 700€ is too much that is why I am asking around to see which games I should shed from the list. 

I played A las Barricadas and wasn't too impressed by it at first. I did grab La Battaile de France but by then I modified the rules of the War Storm Series to make more sense and clear up some oddities or translation errors.

Memoir 44 can be had with all of its (gigantic) set of expansions for free on Vassal Engine and tbh it's great that way. It's way more granular with its subsequent add ons but easy enough to play still. The DVG Board Games are also all great. Sherman Leader and Fleet Commander Nimitz I had tons of fun with, and they're solitaire based so you don't have to arrange anything like other players or make single player rules for them. 

The trouble with a lot of these games is the BOX O DICE' stuff with way too much +1/-1 stuff going on in the rules. It's not always bad, but too much of it gets really grating. War games tend to work a lot better on cards I feel, and i've been meaning to try out Warfighter or at least give the rules a read sometime soon. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

7 hours ago, Hister said:

The goal is to shrink the final price paid, 700€ is too much that is why I am asking around to see which games I should shed from the list. 

Another game came to my mind, since you seem to prefer solitaire games and the Pacific Theater: Tokyo Express from Victory Games, about the Guadalcanal night (sea) battles.

That one is excellent. I have rarely seen such a well working solitaire system.

10 hours ago, Hister said:

Ha ha, OK. Well, I don't know him, should I run for the cover? 

Without getting into any personal opinions, you can see his game collection and comments on his BGG page.

It's worth bearing in mind that very few of the reviews are for the games as-is, but instead he appears to be mostly rating and commenting on games he has house-ruled significantly, which clearly affects how useful that can be.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:42 AM, Hister said:

Great. Will center my focus on Simonitich then. 

Will probably just go with the Combat Commander Pacific and its extension and ditch CoH and OST for the time being.

A Victory Lost was made by the guy who made The Fire in the Sky. Nice.

I was already checking on Grand tactical combat series - the Mercury mission but game costs too much. Will pay a bigger attention to it from now on. 

You missed a sale last month. Operation Mercury, new, was around $40.

4 minutes ago, c3k said:

You missed a sale last month. Operation Mercury, new, was around $40.

Yes, I know. Would still pay a hefty shipping and tax costs on top of that so the game would probably still cost me double that amount which is still almost half less then they normally cost. Their games weren't discounted in Europe. To pay the full amount I would really need to be extra invested in the game and am not sure if those monster games would be for me and played much.

I am considering splurging 150€ on the Warfighter WW2 Pacific with Shore invasions, Medals, Vehicles and Ammo storage box expansions - checking video playthroughs now to see if the big extra monetary expenses are worth for it. So it is not I wouldn't pay that much for a game but it would have to really be good and immerse me into it. Got many wargamers suggest me to get this one as the most immersive of the bunch so I am slowly "testing" why they said so. 

Made a big blunder yesterday night (shouldn't have happened, seems like a bug on GMTs site). Ordered a pack of 10 counter trays from GMT. The stated price was 20 dollars (below the tax limit for EU so no extra tax costs) and I had the chance of picking the fast air mail but opted not to and figured them trays will just take some more time to arrive to me without that option checked. But when I placed the order I was charged extra 45 dollars for the fast air shipping that I didn't choose. Now those nice counter trays  just became way too extra expensive for me. Wrote to GMT if this order can be cancelled and my money redirected to one of the P500 preorders I made with them or if something else could be done. My previous experience with them is they are slow repliers so I might get them counters delivered before they reply. Will tey to get thwm via their online chat system.

Darn it!

12 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

I played A las Barricadas and wasn't too impressed by it at first. I did grab La Battaile de France but by then I modified the rules of the War Storm Series to make more sense and clear up some oddities or translation errors.

Memoir 44 can be had with all of its (gigantic) set of expansions for free on Vassal Engine and tbh it's great that way. It's way more granular with its subsequent add ons but easy enough to play still. The DVG Board Games are also all great. Sherman Leader and Fleet Commander Nimitz I had tons of fun with, and they're solitaire based so you don't have to arrange anything like other players or make single player rules for them. 

The trouble with a lot of these games is the BOX O DICE' stuff with way too much +1/-1 stuff going on in the rules. It's not always bad, but too much of it gets really grating. War games tend to work a lot better on cards I feel, and i've been meaning to try out Warfighter or at least give the rules a read sometime soon. 

I will probably kickstart their Zero Leader game in less then two weeks time when it opens. :D

Still have to see how Corsair Leader plays via youtube playthroughs to determine if this is it for me.

Seriously thinking on splurging 150€ on Warfighter.

Might check Memoir 44 on the vassal. Just typing Memoir 44 vassal will get me to the right site?

1 hour ago, domfluff said:

Without getting into any personal opinions, you can see his game collection and comments on his BGG page.

It's worth bearing in mind that very few of the reviews are for the games as-is, but instead he appears to be mostly rating and commenting on games he has house-ruled significantly, which clearly affects how useful that can be.

Can you send me his BGG link please?

42 minutes ago, Hister said:

I will probably kickstart their Zero Leader game in less then two weeks time when it opens. :D

Still have to see how Corsair Leader plays via youtube playthroughs to determine if this is it for me.

Seriously thinking on splurging 150€ on Warfighter.

Might check Memoir 44 on the vassal. Just typing Memoir 44 vassal will get me to the right site?

It should. Remember you'll have to dig a little for the expansions too but they're all great and absolutely worth it. They make the units more distinct and even include insanity like Spanish Civil War scenarios. 

13 minutes ago, domfluff said:

He does have the game that I preordered on GMT on the list:
The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition

Well, I don't know how much I will play that really since I have Fields of Glory2 PC game that is considred the best in the genre and does all the calculations for you on the go while you have to do all the calcs yourself with a Great battles of history system but the art is amaing, wanna have a physical copy and it is regarded as one of the classics - in the end I will be happy also if not played much andwill be in my house as a throphy. :) 
The rest of his listed games are of no interest to me.  

Also it's not tactical level but Unity of Command is an outstanding virtual board game too. 

Other cool thing about DVG is that many of their games are available for virtual purchase for use in Vassal Engine, and they're much cheaper than the physical editions! I might grab Warfighter that way soon. Lock n Load Tactical is also starting to show up on Steam and it's way cheaper than the $80 modules for the regular edition. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

Am dropping Warfighter ww2 Pacific for the time being - seen the playthrough that just didn't click with me the way it should. Maybe I was not in the proper mood while watching it but the fact that the first edition is full of errata (missprinted cards, etc.) made me decide that I will probably wait until second edition comes out and see if it clicks for me then (saving 150+€ that way also). 

Not sure about Combat Commander system either now - checked one video mission playthrough of it and hmmm, felt dry and emotionless for me while everyone and their mothers are saying the game offers lots of immersion. The portrayal of tactical level combat in it seems some way off to me. I watched playthrough of Old School Tactical and that system felt better. I feel terrible after writing this but this is where I stand now. Will by all means check some more CC playthroughs to see if I was just not in the right mood or something.

Next step is to see if Fields of Fire 2 will do it for me - it felt better then Warfighter so far but more checking it out is needed. Afterwards probing Tank Duel, Interceptor Ace: Daylight Air Defense Over Germany and Amerika Bomber: Evil Queen of the Skies. Current updated boardgaming log is below.

My GMT P500 preordered list:

- Skies Above the Reich, 2nd Printing

- Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan, 1941-1945, Second Edition

- Atlantic Chase

- Great Battles of Alexander - Expanded Deluxe Ed, 2nd Printing

My to be bought in the following days list:

- Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 2nd printing

- D-Day at Peleliu, 2nd edition

- Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid

My contemplating list:

- Fields of Fire 2

- Combat Commander Pacific OR Old School Tactical OR most probably none of these two

- Interceptor Ace: Daylight Air Defense Over Germany, 1943-44

- Amerika Bomber: Evil Queen Of The Skies

- Tank Duel: Enemy in the Crosshairs

- Zero Leader

Just checking this thread to see how your shopping list is shaping up. The only game on that list I have in my collection is Alexander. Like you I am also looking forward to Pacific War; it is one of my grail games, been looking forward to the reprint for a long time. Not sure about the other ones.

But I wanted to point out something I think you are probably figuring out on your own. Most of the "lightweight" wwii tactical games you are considering are not likely to bring anything new to the table if you're a long time experienced CM player.

It can be a fun change of pace, an interesting side dish but I don't see how they are going to feel too satisfying for you unless you pick something that's either really in depth and detailed or that deals which another theatre, scale or era. CC for instance, to me it feels almost like a euro game, more than a proper simulation. Like I said, it can be fun and entertaining, in a refreshing sort of way to play something lighter but I doubt you will learn anything new.

Again I hesitate to recommend Fields of Fire, but at least you know you will learn something here because of its angle and the way it portrays elements that CM barely touches : command and control. And my advice is to stay well clear of Memoir 44 unless you want something you can play with your son or nephew. It is very very lightweight.

4 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Just checking this thread to see how your shopping list is shaping up. The only game on that list I have in my collection is Alexander. Like you I am also looking forward to Pacific War; it is one of my grail games, been looking forward to the reprint for a long time. Not sure about the other ones.

But I wanted to point out something I think you are probably figuring out on your own. Most of the "lightweight" wwii tactical games you are considering are not likely to bring anything new to the table if you're a long time experienced CM player.

It can be a fun change of pace, an interesting side dish but I don't see how they are going to feel too satisfying for you unless you pick something that's either really in depth and detailed or that deals which another theatre, scale or era. CC for instance, to me it feels almost like a euro game, more than a proper simulation. Like I said, it can be fun and entertaining, in a refreshing sort of way to play something lighter but I doubt you will learn anything new.

Again I hesitate to recommend Fields of Fire, but at least you know you will learn something here because of its angle and the way it portrays elements that CM barely touches : command and control. And my advice is to stay well clear of Memoir 44 unless you want something you can play with your son or nephew. It is very very lightweight.

Yes, very sound suggestions that I agree with.

I will see about FoF2. 

I ain't considering Memoir44. 

Tactical level in boardgames seems just meh after one plays CM games - very true that one and that is why I wrote I will probably by neither CC nor OST. 

Do you happen to have Fields of Glory 2 PC game? Asking cos if yes I would be interested how the two systems compare (Great battles of history).

Thank you very much for all the input.

I have Pike & Shot who uses the same system as Fields of Glory II I think. It is okay but I couldn't really get into it for some reason, it felt a bit too bland and lacking character and didn't feel as satisfying as the tabletop equivalent which is vastly superior in my opinion. I haven't really played enough of the computer version to offer a comprehensive review though. I suspect the same applies to Fields of Glory II.

Alexander as well as Hoplite and SPQR are really epic and ooze with history. If you go down that road, don't start with SPQR  because Roman legions add another layer of complexity but I don't see how you can go wrong with one of these. The only thing that's missing imo is an order system like in the Musket and Pike series (from the same designer as Fields of Fire incidentally) where it feels like you are commanding a freight train with no brakes. Your troops are hard to set in motion but when they do get going and march toward the enemy, it is equally hard to stop them. It is full of impetus that feels real and is tactically very challenging. This combined with the terrain that disorganizes your formations really sets it apart.

But even without it, Great Battles of History is definitely a classic yeah. It is a bit of a time travel machine, I love it.

13 hours ago, Hister said:

Am dropping Warfighter ww2 Pacific for the time being - seen the playthrough that just didn't click with me the way it should. Maybe I was not in the proper mood while watching it but the fact that the first edition is full of errata (missprinted cards, etc.) made me decide that I will probably wait until second edition comes out and see if it clicks for me then (saving 150+€ that way also). 

Not sure about Combat Commander system either now - checked one video mission playthrough of it and hmmm, felt dry and emotionless for me while everyone and their mothers are saying the game offers lots of immersion. The portrayal of tactical level combat in it seems some way off to me. I watched playthrough of Old School Tactical and that system felt better. I feel terrible after writing this but this is where I stand now. Will by all means check some more CC playthroughs to see if I was just not in the right mood or something.

Next step is to see if Fields of Fire 2 will do it for me - it felt better then Warfighter so far but more checking it out is needed. Afterwards probing Tank Duel, Interceptor Ace: Daylight Air Defense Over Germany and Amerika Bomber: Evil Queen of the Skies. Current updated boardgaming log is below.

My GMT P500 preordered list:

- Skies Above the Reich, 2nd Printing

- Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan, 1941-1945, Second Edition

- Atlantic Chase

- Great Battles of Alexander - Expanded Deluxe Ed, 2nd Printing

My to be bought in the following days list:

- Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 2nd printing

- D-Day at Peleliu, 2nd edition

- Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid

My contemplating list:

- Fields of Fire 2

- Combat Commander Pacific OR Old School Tactical OR most probably none of these two

- Interceptor Ace: Daylight Air Defense Over Germany, 1943-44

- Amerika Bomber: Evil Queen Of The Skies

- Tank Duel: Enemy in the Crosshairs

- Zero Leader

Interesting “shopping list”.

Re P500: Be aware that the games still may be years away (like new BFC titles. Hehehe....🤓)

Re the GBoH-series: I first bought SPQR, waited a looong time for the release, and was not too impressed in the end. For me all battles turned out into a “push and shove” contest. Years later “Lion of the North” came out and that one was much better: Introducing muskets, guns, a variety of tactical formations. Resembling the beloved “La Battaile” series, but obviously in a 30 Years War-setting.

Ordered Silent Victory, Doolittle Raid and D-Day at Peleliu today. Yeeey!  

Dropped Tank Duel from my list- not liking it. 

Newly added on my whishlist:

• RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 DELUXE Edition with Mounted MAP -> the classic everyone mentions.
  • Tinian: The Forgotten Battle -> company level and its system gets much praise.
  • Picket Duty: Kamikaze Attacks against U.S. Destroyers, 2nd edition
  • B-17 Flying Fortress Leader, 2nd edition
  •  
11 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Interesting “shopping list”.

Re P500: Be aware that the games still may be years away (like new BFC titles. Hehehe....🤓)

Re the GBoH-series: I first bought SPQR, waited a looong time for the release, and was not too impressed in the end. For me all battles turned out into a “push and shove” contest. Years later “Lion of the North” came out and that one was much better: Introducing muskets, guns, a variety of tactical formations. Resembling the beloved “La Battaile” series, but obviously in a 30 Years War-setting.

Yeah, I know how P500 works but thanx for the heads up. :D I might never get my Aelxander... Others are in more safe position though.

Salerno '43 by Simonitich preordered on GMT P500. Good entry into his system and interesting theater of operations. 

Edit: Wing Leader: Victories 1940-1942, 2nd Ed. added to my whishlist. :) 

Edited by Hister