Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zmoney

Ukrainian tank numbers?

Recommended Posts

How many T-84’s does the Ukraine Army actually field? I’ve looked online and from what I found it seems that they only field a very small number. What about T-72’s? Do they have any in service? I know the T-64 is in use but in what numbers roughly? 
 

I know there are some members here that have knowledge pertaining to the Ukrainian forces and am curious to know their thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

None.

They have approximately ten T-84 Oplot, but these are not the same vehicle seen in the game.

The vehicle in game is the BM Oplot, of which around fifty exist, all but (IIRC) three of them are in Thailand.....It took them quite a while to get there, but that's another story.

The vehicles retained by the Ukraine were further messed around with (at least one has a NATO 120mm smoothbore and bustle auto-loader), they are experimental prototypes & TBH a dead end developmentally.

 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, zmoney said:

How many T-84’s does the Ukraine Army actually field? I’ve looked online and from what I found it seems that they only field a very small number. What about T-72’s? Do they have any in service? I know the T-64 is in use but in what numbers roughly? 
 

I know there are some members here that have knowledge pertaining to the Ukrainian forces and am curious to know their thoughts.

We have 5 T-84 mod.2001 slightly upgraded in 2018. As already said Sgt.Squaterhead T-84 is not the same as BM Oplot (old name T-84M) mod.2008, which present in the game.

T-72 entered in service again since the end 2014. Now models T-72B and T-72AV in service, mostly in new-formed motorized infantry brigades, in one mountain assault brigade and in several mech.brigades.

T-64BV still like main battle tank (also several dozens BM Bulat). Since 2018 about 100 T-64BV upgraded to T-64BV mod.2017 (thermal sight sight, Nozh ERA, digital radio, GPS). T-64 of all versions are on armament of tank brigades and most of mech.brigades.

T-80BV uses by air assault brigades and marines brigades (but marines use some quantity of T-64BV yet).

Edited by Haiduk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ikalugin said:

100 T64BV m2017 would not be enough to arm the brigades, so the brigades have mixed equipment by that logic.

Of course. I have said about all park of T-64s. But, well, I have corrected the post 

Edited by Haiduk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hacketäuer said:

Does anyone know what happened to these plans?:

https://defence-blog.com/army/ukraine-to-buy-10-new-oplot-main-battle-tanks-in-2018.html

According to this and wikipedia they should have around 20 BM Oplot. But not really a reliable source.

 

It's been cancelled in favor of T-72/T-64 upgrades. Oplot is too expensive and Malyshev plant cannot produce them in reasonable numbers. @Haiduk, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Hacketäuer said:

Does anyone know what happened to these plans?:

https://defence-blog.com/army/ukraine-to-buy-10-new-oplot-main-battle-tanks-in-2018.html

According to this and wikipedia they should have around 20 BM Oplot. But not really a reliable source.

 

The article is for 2017. Like said IMHO, theese plans were canceled.  This fairy-tale "We will order 10 BM Oplot next year" we are hearing every year since 2009. There is no one BM Oplot now in service. Only five T-84 Oplot mod.2001 in 14th mech.brigade.

I think, BM Oplot will never be ordered for Ukrainian forces, only for export. This tank was great in 2008, but now it upgrading potential is not enough. Through 10 years it will completely obsolete, so more appropriately will be to develop new platform. And some works on the base of late-USSR  obj.477 "Nota" already in progress, but all information is classified.

Edited by Haiduk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atleast it is not the "we would be making 120 Oplots per year in 2017" story.

Ukraine had 477/490 and the like for decades, recalling the Soviet and then Russian efforts to develop a new generation of MBTs, the current situation with new tank manufacturing in Ukraine (ie the Thai contract situation), I have my doubts about the plausibility of a new tank being developed and mass produced, even under the most favourable scenarios.

But if you have something concrete on the new developments - that would be nice to see.

Edited by ikalugin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ikalugin said:

I have my doubts about the plausibility of a new tank being developed and mass produced, even under the most favourable scenarios.

But if you have something concrete on the new developments - that would be nice to see.

I think, private companies will be have a future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...