Ukrainian tank numbers?

zmoney

How many T-84’s does the Ukraine Army actually field? I’ve looked online and from what I found it seems that they only field a very small number. What about T-72’s? Do they have any in service? I know the T-64 is in use but in what numbers roughly? 

I know there are some members here that have knowledge pertaining to the Ukrainian forces and am curious to know their thoughts.

None.

They have approximately ten T-84 Oplot, but these are not the same vehicle seen in the game.

The vehicle in game is the BM Oplot, of which around fifty exist, all but (IIRC) three of them are in Thailand.....It took them quite a while to get there, but that's another story.

The vehicles retained by the Ukraine were further messed around with (at least one has a NATO 120mm smoothbore and bustle auto-loader), they are experimental prototypes & TBH a dead end developmentally.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

19 hours ago, zmoney said:

How many T-84’s does the Ukraine Army actually field? I’ve looked online and from what I found it seems that they only field a very small number. What about T-72’s? Do they have any in service? I know the T-64 is in use but in what numbers roughly? 

I know there are some members here that have knowledge pertaining to the Ukrainian forces and am curious to know their thoughts.

We have 5 T-84 mod.2001 slightly upgraded in 2018. As already said Sgt.Squaterhead T-84 is not the same as BM Oplot (old name T-84M) mod.2008, which present in the game.

T-72 entered in service again since the end 2014. Now models T-72B and T-72AV in service, mostly in new-formed motorized infantry brigades, in one mountain assault brigade and in several mech.brigades.

T-64BV still like main battle tank (also several dozens BM Bulat). Since 2018 about 100 T-64BV upgraded to T-64BV mod.2017 (thermal sight sight, Nozh ERA, digital radio, GPS). T-64 of all versions are on armament of tank brigades and most of mech.brigades.

T-80BV uses by air assault brigades and marines brigades (but marines use some quantity of T-64BV yet).

Edited by Haiduk

2 hours ago, ikalugin said:

100 T64BV m2017 would not be enough to arm the brigades, so the brigades have mixed equipment by that logic.

Of course. I have said about all park of T-64s. But, well, I have corrected the post 

Edited by Haiduk

6 hours ago, Hacketäuer said:

Does anyone know what happened to these plans?:

https://defence-blog.com/army/ukraine-to-buy-10-new-oplot-main-battle-tanks-in-2018.html

According to this and wikipedia they should have around 20 BM Oplot. But not really a reliable source.

It's been cancelled in favor of T-72/T-64 upgrades. Oplot is too expensive and Malyshev plant cannot produce them in reasonable numbers. @Haiduk, please correct me if I'm wrong.

21 hours ago, Hacketäuer said:

Does anyone know what happened to these plans?:

https://defence-blog.com/army/ukraine-to-buy-10-new-oplot-main-battle-tanks-in-2018.html

According to this and wikipedia they should have around 20 BM Oplot. But not really a reliable source.

The article is for 2017. Like said IMHO, theese plans were canceled.  This fairy-tale "We will order 10 BM Oplot next year" we are hearing every year since 2009. There is no one BM Oplot now in service. Only five T-84 Oplot mod.2001 in 14th mech.brigade.

I think, BM Oplot will never be ordered for Ukrainian forces, only for export. This tank was great in 2008, but now it upgrading potential is not enough. Through 10 years it will completely obsolete, so more appropriately will be to develop new platform. And some works on the base of late-USSR  obj.477 "Nota" already in progress, but all information is classified.

Edited by Haiduk

Atleast it is not the "we would be making 120 Oplots per year in 2017" story.

Ukraine had 477/490 and the like for decades, recalling the Soviet and then Russian efforts to develop a new generation of MBTs, the current situation with new tank manufacturing in Ukraine (ie the Thai contract situation), I have my doubts about the plausibility of a new tank being developed and mass produced, even under the most favourable scenarios.

But if you have something concrete on the new developments - that would be nice to see.

Edited by ikalugin

21 hours ago, ikalugin said:

I have my doubts about the plausibility of a new tank being developed and mass produced, even under the most favourable scenarios.

But if you have something concrete on the new developments - that would be nice to see.

I think, private companies will be have a future. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, zmoney said:

Ukraine Army at this moment does not have any Oplots. But Oplots themselves is much more real than russian T-90AM. Number of Oplots built is bigger than T-90AM, this russian fantasy tank is not in service in any country currently, even not in russia itself, Oplot at least in service of Tai army. 

As for other tanks. We have several hundreds of T-64bv in storage(it was made in ussr), they being restored from storage and put into army in quantities currently needed. Also about 100 of this tanks was upgraded to T-64 bulat, and current version of Bulat has thermals. 

Also we have many t-72 in storage, but they was ditched cause they actually inferior to t-64's. People thinking if number in the name of t-72 is bigger means its better tank, but its not. Soviet union made t-72 to be downgraded version of t-64 in every aspect. 

Also we have about hundred of t-80bv's in storage, they being put in service in decent numbers.

3 hours ago, Oleg said:

Ukraine Army at this moment does not have any Oplots. But Oplots themselves is much more real than russian T-90AM. Number of Oplots built is bigger than T-90AM, this russian fantasy tank is not in service in any country currently, even not in russia itself, Oplot at least in service of Tai army.

By this logic T14 is more real as Oplot, as more of them were built. Here is CAST reporting on two T90M contracts:
https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3315325.html

4 hours ago, Oleg said:

Also about 100 of this tanks was upgraded to T-64 bulat, and current version of Bulat has thermals.

"танки Т-64БМ «Булат» в силу большого веса и слабого двигателя оказались неэффективными, были переведены в резерв, и заменены линейными Т-64"

"Bulat upgrade turned out to be ineffective due to excessive weight and weak engine. They were transferred to reserves and were replaced by baseline T-64s in front line service"

http://opk.com.ua/острейшие-проблемы-всу-сегодня-не-свя/

Edited by IMHO

Just to add some perspective on the realitues of Ukrainian weapons production.

1. For the past ten years Ukrain was able to produce exactly ONE (!) new tank for its own armed forces.

2. Officials have finally resigned to the fact that Ukraine is not able to produce BTR-4s at the moment since the ones that were produced have serious manufacturing defects. E.g. Ukrain signed a contract to deliver 420 BTR-4s to Iraqi Army yet it was able to deliver only a hundred. Only 56 out of the first 88 had a working engine and mere 34 of them were able to move an inch.

3. UkrainianArmy accepted into service a locally produced copy of the Soviet 120mm mortar yet it had to stop its use since it blew up ten times during the first two years of its service killing 10 and wounding 30 crewmen.

And the list may go on...

Edited by IMHO

On 11/25/2019 at 6:25 PM, IMHO said:

"Bulat upgrade turned out to be ineffective due to excessive weight and weak engine. They were transferred to reserves and were replaced by baseline T-64s in front line service"

There were such plans, but I don't know current situation. I have read they moved to 3rd tank bragade.  10 BM Bulat of early version in 2018 as if were moved for upgrading to later BM Bulatr version. But either works comleted or not still unknown

14 hours ago, IMHO said:

3. UkrainianArmy accepted into service a locally produced copy of the Soviet 120mm mortar yet it had to stop its use since it blew up ten times during the first two years of its service killing 10 and wounding 30 crewmen.

About half of accidents tied with using outdated dangeros ammunition. Also several accidents were tied with double loading. Though, new alloy for the barrel has some deffects. On the other hand, 82 mm and 60 mm mortars of KBA design don't have any accidents.

Edited by Haiduk

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The world trembles at their awesomeness!   ;)

Somehow I miss the fun :( IMO Ukrainian approach to tank upgrades - mass modernization of line tanks - gives viable results at a fraction of cost when compared to hundreds of billions spent on a handful of Red Square parade Armatas.

1 hour ago, IMHO said:

Somehow I miss the fun :( IMO Ukrainian approach to tank upgrades - mass modernization of line tanks - gives viable results at a fraction of cost when compared to hundreds of billions spent on a handful of Red Square parade Armatas.

The practices is actually the same - the scale is different, as Russia has over 1000 (over 1400?) T72B3s, while Armatas correspond to Oplot procurement.