Line of fire

Maybe I missed this but I remember in CM1 that besides seeing all the routes of travel by the units you could also see all the firing lines as well.  It was a hot key selection item.  This is not too big a deal in small scenarios but in large ones it is sometimes impossible to remember who is firing at what.  The result is wasted ammo and perhaps not having those spotters available for other fire missions.  Of course you can take the time to go check out the artillery/aircraft  usage but to see firing units (tanks, machine guns etc) you must go through each one.  Not being able to finish a scenario in one sitting it is just a pain in the keister to check it all out again.  And at 71 years of age the old mind isn't quite a s good as it was. Like I said maybe I missed something so please set me straight. I thank you.

CM1 used a single point to represent a squad on the map which made calculating LOF easy. CM2 has 7-12 individual bodies representing a squad so calculating LOF is much more complex. If you use the 'target' command to check LOF you may see the line greyed out. Than means some of your selected men have LOF on the target and some don't. Having a 'show LOF' keyboard command would be quite messy and imprecise.

Not knowing LOF seems to mostly be an issue with players who tend to play camera level 3 or above. When you'd down in the weeds with the troops that subtle fold in the ground blocking LOS in apparent because you can't see past it.

Edited by MikeyD

I understand what Mr. MikeyD is saying but line of fire is line of fire whether it be one man or the whole squad.  Also, armor is a single point.  As for grey lines of fire, a few men shooting  can be suppressive in nature and if one man is tasked to fire the rest of the squad cannot fire at anything else.  But this is moot as CM2 does, as it was pointed out, not have this feature.  But I have all the CM's and enjoy them.  The programing that goes into these boggles the mind.  So testers, programers, etc.  Please take no offense when I wonder why things happen or don't happen even wish for things like access to all the equipment that was in CM1 and the ability to build scenarios with any of it.  (Chuckle)  Blessings to you all!

1 hour ago, transporter said:

... if one man is tasked to fire the rest of the squad cannot fire at anything else.  

It doesn't quite work like that. Individual troops can select their own Targets if the need, or opportunity, arises at any time during a minute of action. Go down to Level 1 or 2 and you will sometimes see members of the same squad firing off to the left or right.

In the meantime I quite like the idea of a 71 year old being a "Junior Member". Happy Gaming!