How to install mods?

jpm224

If its more convenient you can also make your own mod folder in the exe Data folder rather than going into the standard Documents/User Data/Mods folder. The folder just has to be named so its the last thing alphabetically the game looks at on startup. Typically people name the folders zzzzz or something like that.

heh well this is where it gets fun.  I use the exe data folder for mods I want in all the time - sounds etc and I'll do multiple installs if I want a particular mod set for something I do a lot like maybe a CMSF2 urban install and the documents mod folder is all the urban mods.  You can offset that with tagged mods but a lot of mods are not tagged.

Hi jpm224,

Here are the steps. Go to  Battlefront/Combat Mission Shock Force 2/Data.   Open the Data folder, then mouse right click and choose from the box popup create a new folder. Name it z.

When you download a mod just place it, or copy it to your z folder. Have fun!

You don't need a Z folder for SF2. Go to where you installed SF2, you'll see two folders for some reason, "Combat Mission Shock Force 2" and "Shock Force 2", open "Shock Force 2" then user data/mods. Just drop them in mods and you are good.

Mord.

5 minutes ago, Mord said:

You don't need a Z folder for SF2. Go to where you installed SF2, you'll see two folders for some reason, "Combat Mission Shock Force 2" and "Shock Force 2", open "Shock Force 2" then user data/mods. Just drop them in mods and you are good.

Mord.

The two folders could may be due to having the demo and full game installed? 

2 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I uninstalled the demo. The "Combat Mission Shock Force 2" folder was holding the brzs and scenario folders if I remember correctly. Can't check now 'cause I am on my laptop. I thought it was strange though.

Mord.

30 minutes ago, Mord said:

I uninstalled the demo. The "Combat Mission Shock Force 2" folder was holding the brzs and scenario folders if I remember correctly. Can't check now 'cause I am on my laptop. I thought it was strange though.

Mord.

Yeah I don't have that.  What the heck are you up to Mord?  :P 

A 'Z' folder you make yourself would be just for your own convenience. Ignore it if you don't need it. I rarely visit the CM folders in the Documents but the exe folder's always open and has got the Data folder right there. Also, I keep my games on a separate hard drive. My Z folder placed in the exe folder's Data folder means the game doesn't have to access art on two different drives.

I can't get any mods working on my Mac. In both BN & BS I have them in Contents/Resources/Data/Z

SF doesn't have a /Data folder so I created one, didn't work. I put Z in the resources folder, didn't work. I put it in the Content folder, didn't work.

I'm trying to load Bil's floating icons.

*edit* found it, it is outside of the package content inside the application folder.

Edited by liamb

18 hours ago, sburke said:

Yeah I don't have that.  What the heck are you up to Mord?

18 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I figured it out. Back when I got this comp I set up Windows so that My Documents, Videos, Music and Pictures were relegated to two separate drives instead of on the SSD. I have one 2TB drive dedicated just for games, which is where the My Documents folder is stored. When I installed SF2 I directly installed it into a main Combat Mission folder in My Documents which has all the CM titles in it, instead of the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2" which would've been on my SSD. Normally, everything would be located in C:/Program Files under Combat Mission Shock Force 2 and the mod folder would've been in My Documents in a Shock Force 2 folder, hence the double folders and confusion.

My SSD is only 232GB. I wanted to keep it mainly for the OS and not constantly be adding and deleting thousands of files on it which happens when I mod and test. I figured by keeping it isolated and free from all that I would extend its life span over time.

LOL. GIANT answer to tiny problem.

Mord.