Idea for improvement

I am wondering if the following could not be done to enhance the usage of graphical mods within the game.

Why not allow to select texture for units directly within the editor instead of doing multiple file manipulations?

The way I see it when opening the editor:

1. You buy one unit

1. You place it in the 3D view 
  2. Then, still in the 3D view, you select the texture of this unit by Ctrl or Switch clicking on it like for the building (I do not remember the exact command)

This way I hope that more unit textures will appear simplifying the work to enable them.

Maybe Battlefront could use this as well to deliver what I would call a texture pack.

These packs could be used for ww2 or for modern warfare. There are plenty of uncons that could be modeled like this (from Middle East or from east of Ukraine). Even few armies could be modeled, I am thinking of Irak at the time of Desert Storm. Their equipments were not far from what we have in CMSF and the incoming version 2.

Thanks

4 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

I am wondering if the following could not be done to enhance the usage of graphical mods within the game.

Why not allow to select texture for units directly within the editor instead of doing multiple file manipulations?

<snipped>

Most things code related are always do-able.  It always boils down to the coding skills of your staff, the time available, and whether doing something is commercially worth it or not.

This proposal might be a good way to approach designing a particular kind of new game.  However, retro-fitting language specific legacy code is always a labor intensive burden and a major effort to test.  You need to produce a substantively convincing cost/benefit analysis which shows a Return On Investment far superior to spending equivalent time and effort on other game improvements instead.  "Wanting" and "Needing" are very different things.  When money must drive your business decisions, "Needs" matter first.

I personally would not care for this feature.

5 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Most things code related are always do-able.  It always boils down to the coding skills of your staff, the time available, and whether doing something is commercially worth it or not.

I personally would not care for this feature.

If it came at no other cost it would be cool to actually see a mod before applying, but to your point there is a cost and yeah this one wouldn’t be on the top of my list at that point. I can accomplish the same by creating mod pack brz files of my own and applying them. Not as slick, but if I am gonna somehow have my wish list on BFs project plan I would pick things I can not do.  Like a unit pack of Fulda gap units.  👍