The Lions are hunting! (work in progress)

The Lions are Hunting

After the collapse of Hrs. Gr. Mitte in White Russia in the past summer of 1944 the situation of Hrs. Gr. Nord in the Baltics also has become critical. Between the two army groups an ever increasing empty space is developing, the so-called ‘Baltisches Loch’, the Baltic hole, in which the Red Army quickly attacks and during the month of July fights it’s way to the Baltic Coast. The connection between Hrs. Gr. Nord and the rest of the German frontline is now severed. The Germans rapidly launch Operation Doppelkopf, in an attempt to reconnect with the endangered army group. Spearhead of this operation is Panzergrenadier-Division  Grossdeutschland (as part of the XXXX. Panzerkorps, 3. Panzerarmee), which tries to re-conquer the highway and railway between Mitau and Schaulen, in order to keep the supplies to the North flowing. During August 1944 Grossdeutschland claws it’s way forward through the beautiful Baltic landscape, dealing out heavy blows to the Soviet 51st Army, but at the same time taking very heavy losses itself due to the tough resistance on the ground and the ever present swarms of Russian ‘Fleischer’, the IL-2 Shturmowik ground attack aircraft. In the following month of September Hrs. Gr. Nord has to fall back on Riga because of the irresistible Russian pressure and in order to help their comrades in the North. 3. Pz. Armee launches operation Cäsar, the renewed attack in the direction of Schaulen. Again the (resupplied) GD is in the thick of the fighting. Reaching Riga seems possible for a moment, but then at the beginning of October the Russian High Command begins yet another fierce offensive, this time aimed at Memel, which threatens to cut off not only Hrs.Gr. Nord, but also the 3. Pz. Armee trying to relief it. Even worse is that Eastern Prussia, already heavily fought over in August, is again in danger of being invaded by the Red Army. While Hrs. Gr. Nord is withdrawing to its doom in Courland, the GD is racing back to the south to prevent the approaching disaster at the German borders.

07:00 A.M. 9th October 1944

On the 9th October Kampfgruppe von Brese via Plateliai and Salantai reaches the area of Krottingen, 20 km to the Northeast of Memel. The Russian 3rd Guards Tank Corps has yesterday crossed the Minge river, east of Jokubavas, and taken the village, despite the resistance of some weak elements of the GD reconnaissance battalion (AA). The evacuation route of the entire GD division towards Memel is now under threat of being cut off. And Memel, with its seaport is the only possibility of evacuation to and continuation of the fighting  in the defence of Eastern Prussia.

Our Kampfgruppe, named after Oberst von Brese, the experienced commander of Panzer Füsilier Regiment GD, contains mentioned regiment, reinforced with I. Pz. Rgt. 26 and III.Abt. Pz. Art. Rgt. GD, a formidable force with huge firepower.

For the attack on Jokubavas we have the following elements of our Kampfgruppe:

1.    I.SWP/Pz.Füs.Rgt. GD (Hptm. von Basse), nicknamed ‘Löwenbataillon”, Lion Battalion, including 13.IG Company (self propelled Grille)

2.    4.Komp. of I./Pz.Rgt.26

3.    Two batteries 105 mm guns of III/Pz.Art.Rgt.GD

The rest of our Kampfgruppe attacks at his very moment in the direction of Raguviskiai. From our comrades of the AA GD we know that we’re up against veterans of the 2nd Guards Motor Rifle Brigade, supported by elements of 18th Guards Tank Brigade and the 1496th Self propelled Regiment, so mainly T-34/85s and Su-76s. They haven’t had much time to dig in, but we all know Iwan doesn’t need much time to go underground anyway.

Our mission is to buy time for the rest of the division to escape to the bridgehead around Memel. There we will make our last stand, before being evacuated to Eastern Prussia. So, buying time means that we will have objectives, but not at all costs. And this is only a delaying action, we will move out to Memel ourselves tomorrow. Try to remember that, gentlemen, because many more battles are waiting for us and the division has suffered badly in the past months.

Anyone interested?

CM Red Thunder 2017-11-11.jpg

4 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Sounds interesting :)

Think it will be suited for H2H? In that case, in time, I think I can get someone to test it with me.

It will be H2H indeed. I have too little experience with the AI to make some AI plans for such a large battle. That will have to wait for my next and smaller scenario. :)

Thanks for the offer to playtest. It is noted.

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 3 years later...

Actually, MJKerner, I didn't keep anything to myself. 😀 

I'm going to finish this scenario after the release of Fire and Rubble. I will also make a winter version. For the autumn version I've used a autumn mod I've got from Kohlenklau. His help with this scenario was vitally important.

@Rocketman, does your offer to playtest still stand?

CM Red Thunder 2017-11-11 11-41-17-97.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2017-11-12 10-08-56-11 (2).jpg

CM Red Thunder 2017-11-12 10-30-02-53 (2).jpg

CM Red Thunder 2017-11-11 2 (2).jpg

Edited by Aragorn2002

12 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I want to play Blunting the Spear with Engine 4 but they have been swinging Fire and Rubble for some time now. I am not in a hurry for CW as it is incomplete. With a little nostalgia go back to my Dutch roots at least they have it in Battle for Normandy 2 in FB and in SF2. 

You can play the winter versions of all the scenarios for CMRT soon. Imagine that.