INVISIBLE ARMOR?

glilley

Playing CMRT 1.03- no mods. A few QB games I have played as Axis (one recently last night), mid day game time, appear to have Allied armor using a cloaking system!! I have Allied armor passing within 10-15 meters of an Axis tank with a clear LOS out to horizon and the Axis tank never spots it or his buds coming up behind. I can tell they are passing that close as I watch the fence line disappear next to the Axis unit. Only when I have an infantry unit Hunt or Assault to the suspected location of the Allied armor does it appear; or, if its that close sometimes I can fire and light it up and then it shows. Anybody else seen this behavior and have a solution?? Thanks!

We are going to need a little more information before any meaningful things can be said. What time of day is this? How many trees are involved? Is there any smoke on the battlefield?

Some quick things to check. Make sure smoke is turned on <alt> k. Make sure you have trees turned on <alt> t. If it is dark out then the artificial brightness, <alt> b, makes things appear like you should see them when you might not.

Ahh, you Area-Fired with your Photon Torpedo, and momentarily uncloaked the enemy ship giving it's position away :-)..Hmm, which Star-Trek movie did I see that from. 

Oh, and what IanL said...

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

This was a day battle, light haze, smoke is on but no smoke was being generated on the battlefield, the axis and allied armor were both in open terrain with trees turned on, axis tank cmdr was opened up. This has only happened a hand full of times but I should see the russians coming a mile away in the relatively open terrain but should absolutely see them when they pass right in front of me, crushing a fence.

If you have LOS to the area behind, at and in front of the fence likely yes. If the easy stuff is sorted people are going to need saves so get an idea of this is normal or not.

Just to point out something important this game actually models crews having to notice an enemy and not just "if they can see the ground they automatically see all enemy on that ground". That means that sometimes your guys are not going to notice the enemy right away. Sometimes the enemy sees you first even though you think it should be the other way around. That kind of variable spotting and the angst it causes are normal and a game feature. What would not be normal is if you have clear LOS and your guys never see the enemy driving in the open when the test is repeated.

'LOS out the horizon' doesn't mean much if there's an intervening depression. And it doesn't have to be much at all, especially if its in a tall wheat field. If you're playing a scenario with your camera 20 feet up and 20 feet back (as most of us do) its not easy to spot those subtle terrain variations. There's one scenario in particular that I'm thinking of. Oncoming red army tanks round a (very) shallow crest just feet in front of your tanks and scare the bejeezis out of you.

Several years ago I read a book on the Battle of Waterloo where the author brings this up. He was describing a reenactment he had watched in which the cavalry had to cross the battlefield to get to the enemy-held position, and they kept going in and out of sight as they rode into depressions that were not visible even from the ridge.

In playing CM, I am often surprised when I put the camera down at the 1 level and suddenly irregularities of the ground that I hadn't even suspected from the 3 position are suddenly quite plain. Sometimes I have changed a plan after closely examining the ground I had intended to either advance across or defend and found it to be unsuitable for my purpose. And often I discover that there is no suitable ground and I will just have to grit my teeth and take my chances.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

4 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Several years ago I read a book on the Battle of Waterloo where the author brings this up. He was describing a reenactment he had watched in which the cavalry had to cross the battlefield to get to the enemy-held position, and they kept going in and out of sight as they rode into depressions that were not visible even from the ridge.

Michael

I walked the battlefield a few years ago and it was surprising how many folds and depressions there are. Accounts for eye witness accounts how enemy units just suddenly appeared to their front.

18 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

A great place for a walk. And there's a really nice local's boozer in Plancenoit, a great place for lunch away from the tourist traps at the Lion's Mound.

Plancenoit, where the cognisant grognard hangs out :)

It was also where the whole affair was actually decided in the favour of the Allied cause...