Green 9 - 1st Bn The Welsh Guards - Helmand 2009

2 hours ago, Bootie said:

Yep on nightshift just now it will be released in the morning. :)

Thanks Bootie!  I know you will get 'er done when you can. :)

Midnights!  I worked those way back in time.  Usually for an overtime detail! :P   Stay safe out there on the mids.        

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always great to have new scenarios for CMSF.  Am spending time on CMFB right now, but I always come back to CMSF.  When patched up to the latest version it's the most immersive and fun of all the CM2 games.  Hope CMSF is on the drawing board.  (PS:  Has anyone done an ISIS mod?  We already have the black uniform mods and the Al Nusra mods feature a flag (on vehicles) that is close to ISIS (different slogan), so...?)

Just to let you know that I probably won't be around here for the remainder of the month due to work commitments so please don't think that any comments you may make in that time on this mission are being ignored. The good news is that if I get some free time I will be working on some of my other CMSF projects.

Well, I got to chapter 10 of Dead Men Risen.  I had no idea the material, logistic, C2 etc. problems the UK had in Helmand.  Very frustrating just reading about it.      

I think I am about ready to cross the line of departure on this one.  Sitreps to follow.    

On 5/10/2016 at 8:10 AM, Combatintman said:

Just to let you know that I probably won't be around here for the remainder of the month due to work commitments so please don't think that any comments you may make in that time on this mission are being ignored. The good news is that if I get some free time I will be working on some of my other CMSF projects.

More CMSF content?  Excellent! :D  Like @Erwin I still play CMSF in the CM rotation quite a bit...as Monty Python would say.."It's not dead yet!"

Edited by grunt_GI

///////////////////////////////// Possible Spoiler /////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SitRep 0825

One friendly casualty.  ANA scout hit 50 meters from Southern Compound.

Estimate eight OpFor KIA.

SitMap 0825hrs

Green%209%20SitRep%200825hrs_zps8zpekjow

//////////////////////////////// Spoiler Alert //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////// Spoiler Alert ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SitRep 0847hrs

Things got really interesting.  The OpFor decided they wanted to take us on.  However the Welsh Guards were rock steady and their fire teams professionally handled their sectors of fire.       

Still only one friendly casualty.  Also one walking wounded (yellow base) from the recent attacks. 

Estimate 25+ OpFor KIA.

Southern and Center Compounds are secured.  It looks like the OpFor want to put up a fight for Compound 5 also.  Happy to obliged since Compound 5 is on our patrol route.

Now if my S4 could get one of those Bulldogs running............. :P

SitMap

Green%209%20SitRep%200847hrs_zpscmerzqln

ANA scouts and Guardsmen use smoke to enter and continue clearing compounds while holding off multiple OpFor attacks.

Green%209%20Smoke_zpso8qrwrlk.jpg

SitRep 0915hrs

Had another ANA scout hit in the fighting around Compound #5.  Total of two friendly casualties and one walking wounded (yellow base). 

Estimate 40+ OpFor KIA.

I never gave it to much thought before but it appears the ANA troops don't have body armor?  They're a recce unit so I have been using them as such however if they don't have body armor it might be best to use them in a less dangerous tasking.    

Green%209%20SitMap%200916hrs_zpshmdjfoho

@MOS:96B2P - you are a machine!!!  Great progress you are making there, I'd be seriously interested in more detail on your plan and execution - particularly in relation to your compound clearance drills.

WRT to the ANA guys - yep as far as I am aware they don't have body armour.  I seem to recall making a deliberate decision to include the ANA because they were present on the day if not necessarily on the patrol in those numbers.  I chose recce troops because they come in small squads of four rather than the larger standard infantry squad.  The latter cannot be split so by having two four man recce squads the player in effect has a 'split squad' and this was the main driver for choosing them, I certainly never envisaged them being employed in the recce role.  Although not relevant to this scenario, I always think it adds an extra and realistic dimension in Afghan scenarios because I tend to use them to stand off (partly due to the lack of body armour) and lay down fire.  Much like their real World counterparts, things get a bit cheeky when they start whanging UGLs and RPGs around.  I'm pretty sure that in testing both Into the Green and Op MINIMISE, some of my Brits copped casualties from ANA UGLs and RPGs.

Edited by Combatintman

Just to tell u guys / I own all CMx2 - however I'm having a blast of a time with CMSF+all modules. I feel it kicks deep at heart due to the current turmoil in Middle East.

@Combatintman more content ? :) soo looking forward to that. How about 'smallish' missions that depict current special ops conducting recon & directing arty / or air assets .

also - someone correct me if I'm wrong - CMSF IS the only one that features civilians unarmed that are embedded in the mix of things. And they can be carrying 'hidden' ammo n guns. This is SECOND TO NONE.

CMSF - Remastered Edition or

CMSFII please.

10 hours ago, Combatintman said:

@MOS:96B2P - you are a machine!!!  Great progress you are making there, I'd be seriously interested in more detail on your plan and execution - particularly in relation to your compound clearance drills.

I would like to post more screenshots with more details however I'm having trouble with Fraps and CMSF.  So far Fraps is still working for the other CM titles but with Shock Force I'm experiencing quite a few problems.  The mouse pointer becomes very erratic, the edge scroll is crazy, the screen grab occurs 30 seconds after the actual screenshot was taken etc...  It can easily take 10 frustrating minutes to get one mediocre screenshot.  Always something with technology ...........  My version of a Bowman moment :) 

I basically use my base of fire teams firing from friendly rooftops to clear off the OpFor compound rooftops.  Then Blast into the OpFor compound by blasting into a building not just through a compound wall.  The buildings almost always have OpFor in them and they are heavily suppressed from the blast and easy for the assault teams to kill.  Also have suppressive fires going into the open gate of the compound and again from friendly rooftops.  Easy to unravel what is left of the remaining OpFor defenders after the first building is taken. The survivors often panic and run out of the compound.  The sniper back at CP HAJI ALEM enjoys that.   :lol:      

10 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I chose recce troops because they come in small squads of four rather than the larger standard infantry squad.  The latter cannot be split so by having two four man recce squads the player in effect has a 'split squad' and this was the main driver for choosing them, I certainly never envisaged them being employed in the recce role.  

This makes sense and I like having the ANA in the game.  It makes the game more immersive especially when you zoom in close to their position and can hear them  talking in their native language (Probably cursing me for putting them on point).  I didn't give any thought to their kit prior to assigning them their task.  It got my attention when the second ANA soldier got hit and then I started to think about what was going on.  That was thinking that should have been done before I crossed the Line of Departure.  Lesson Learned.

When I'm done with this one and have time I may try it again.  I'm interested in taking a patrol out to at least the South Compound during hours of darkness.  It might be even more fun hunting the OpFor at night.  I also remember in the book that Colonel Thorneloe ordered nighttime patrols after Lt. Evison was KIA.      

I hear a helicopter.  I think Ugly 51 has arrived ................back to work.........   

11 hours ago, borg said:

Just to tell u guys / I own all CMx2 - however I'm having a blast of a time with CMSF+all modules. I feel it kicks deep at heart due to the current turmoil in Middle East.

@Combatintman more content ? :) soo looking forward to that. How about 'smallish' missions that depict current special ops conducting recon & directing arty / or air assets .

also - someone correct me if I'm wrong - CMSF IS the only one that features civilians unarmed that are embedded in the mix of things. And they can be carrying 'hidden' ammo n guns. This is SECOND TO NONE.

CMSF - Remastered Edition or

CMSFII please.

Glad you are still enjoying this great title and appreciating the versatility and relevance of if so many years down the track.

More content ... I am working on a couple of things so yes something will appear at some point.  I really want to finish off a couple of unfinished projects but I suspect that the first one out of the door will be a mission related to an article in Modern War issue 23 entitled Struggle for the Mullah Fayyad Highway. The map is pretty much done and I think I have the concept nailed down so I'll hack away at it.  This mission will be my first attempt to pay tribute to the brave men and women of the US Army in Iraq.

Smallish missions that you describe are probably not something that I will design for a few reasons:

1.  I really struggle with missions below platoon strength.

2.  I don't believe CMSF is optimised for the special forces stuff.

Civilians are in CMSF albeit abstracted - to my knowledge they are not modelled in other titles but I don't own all of them so I couldn't say for sure.

Spoilers

///////////////////////////////////Spoilers//////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILERS ////////////////////////////////////////////////

SitRep 0954hrs

Total Victory.  AAR Screens follow.

CMSF%20Green%209%20AAR%20Screen1_zpswocf

CMSF%20Green%209%20AAR%20Screen2_zpswrpv

SitMap 0954hrs

CMSF%20Green%209%20SitMap%20Final_zpsvqd

Just FYI: An Assault Team encountered a door they could not enter and went around the building to a different door.  I saw somewhere that Osama's compound had some false doors also.  Nice touch. ;)

CMSF%20Green%209%20Door_zpscvrptffb.jpg

Very nice scenario!  Highly recommend it.  Always fun running the ditches out in Helmand!   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

@MOS:96B2P another impressive result straight out of the box.  The thing that most impresses me is the number of buildings that are in one piece.  In my testing I had to hose down a lot of the buildings with the GMG and Javelin firing from overwatch at CP Haji Alem followed up by UGLY 51.  I think what may have assisted you with your result was your early tempo.  As you probably are now well aware ....

*********************************SPOILERS*****************************************************************

Getting in amongst the southern and central complexes quickly helps you deal with some of the 'moving parts' that start arriving.

******************************SPOILERS END *************************************************************

As you may have seen on other threads I am working on other stuff that I think you will like .... quick preview here

Actual Map

Mullah Fayyad Actual.jpg

CMSF Map (slightly cropped due  to screen size)

Mullah Fayyad CMSF.jpg

@borg close but no cigar!!!  This is a semi historical Iraq mission featuring Bravo Company 4-31 Infantry in the vicinity of Rushdi Mullah in Dec 2006 inspired by an article I saw in Issue #23 of Modern War.  I basically chose it because as soon as I saw the image of the ground I thought 'that'd be an easy map to make in CMSF'. Of course it is never easy without the overlay feature but it is easier than most because it is pretty flat and the terrain is very grid like which makes measuring distances easy in the editor.  The map (which is approximately 1.5km by 1.5km) took me about the equivalent of a full working week to knock together.

The mission concepts still have to be nutted out but in essence it will involve a Company level clearance operation in order to allow a convoy of engineer stores for the construction of further battle positions to move along the Mullah Fayyad highway to the Rushdi Mullah FOB.  I'm still in the early stages of mission testing eg no enemy yet, I'm just seeing how the time and distance aspects work to give me an idea of mission length and the sequencing of the Red AI plans.

Amazing piece of work...god only knows how it'd look with an 3.0 engine (CMx2 right?) 

dont you get butterflies when you see the CURRENT state of raqqa, fallujah, and what's currently cooking in the real life 

and Like you once said - it's such a noble thing to make missions/ops as a memory to those who selflessly gave their life in battle and those who live to tell the tale.

hey it's also D DAY anniversary today