Flooded Road Experiments

Based on @Sgt Schultz's work (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=106965) I have successfully flooded some roads.

I am doing this in CMFI for two reasons. I have been working with the new map editor in FI and because a friend of mine and I are planning a QB using FI and the deal is that we are going to play on this modified map - to see what it is like to play with the flooded road.

Here are a few screen shots (how it is made will be the next post).

Looking from the edge of the map looking down the road past the flooding towards the bridge

01FloodingRoadTowardsBridge.jpg

From the bridge looking back

02FloodingRoadFromBridge.jpg

Overhead view. With the flooding it is hard to avoid straight edges and pointy bits. In fact in some trials the road looked like it was a serrated knife blade.

03FloodingOverhead.jpg

View of the Stream form the river. There is a fine line between what looks like a stream and what looks like square puddles. I think the edges are a bit straight but with the marsh tiles and some tress it looks pretty good.

04SFloodingStream.jpg

For starters I have modified 168Meet Small Forest 168.btt which has a nice river through the middle as well as a road running along side it.

I started using @Stg Schultz's river bank technique: first tiles next to the river's edge are one lower than the water. I also used his idea of shallow ford tiles along the river's edge and for the stream. What I found was that I could only flood the road if it was in the first set of tiles next to the river (that seems to be the only part that floods - one tile over). The look of edge of the flooding can be controlled by the elevation. When the tiles next to the river (half the road) are two below the water and the then the flooding covers half the road and has an ugly pointy serrated knife look. But if you drop the elevation of the other road tiles one more level then the flooding covers the road and looks much better. There are still some pointy parts but they are much smaller and more concealed by terrain tile features.

FloodingHowMadeTerrain.jpg

FloodingHowMadeElevation.jpg

No, I'd be insanely surprised if this was so. Water doesn't 'flow' in game. It's essentially a static graphic. Nor does it affect men's speed, cover or anything else. I've had men crawl or cower underwater for long amounts of time. Also men can pass through it, and vehicles drive through it, at least in the situations posted above. Of course you can drive your tank through a river in most situations.

This is best illustrated by (i forget its name) the DDay scenario that was released about Omaha beach. Actually it was Bloody Omaha. anyways you start out in the water and just walk and drive your men right up. They dont float or swim or even notice the water ;)

No, I'd be insanely surprised if this was so. Water doesn't 'flow' in game. It's essentially a static graphic. Nor does it affect men's speed, cover or anything else. I've had men crawl or cower underwater for long amounts of time. Also men can pass through it, and vehicles drive through it, at least in the situations posted above. Of course you can drive your tank through a river in most situations.

This is best illustrated by (i forget its name) the DDay scenario that was released about Omaha beach. Actually it was Bloody Omaha. anyways you start out in the water and just walk and drive your men right up. They dont float or swim or even notice the water ;)

I agree there is no flowing water in game. But I believe it does slow both men and vehicles down. That is my impression - a test is probably in order though.

Ok. What about land? Can craters' date=' that are created near a water tile flood? I guess that is what I was trying to say in my previous post. :)[/quote']

Based on my Makin beach landing scenario, I can categorically say NO -- even a gigantic aerial bomb crater right next to the water's edge doesn't "fill up".

Oh, nice work Ian.

Hey Ian, great work.

I think you may be able to reduce/remove the last of your jagged edges by moving the bottom of the hill back a few tiles away from the road edge. This will give you some room to work and the water some room to find a smoother contour.

Flooded creeks, with destroyed bridges, swamping both sides of a crossing may be a possibilty as well. This process could also allow flooded fields as the creek meanders acoss the map. Heck. I may have to see if I can swamp a bridge itself. :D

Drive across a bridge that is under water. Hmmmm ... sounds rather Soviet to me.... Ost frontish even.

The upside over a Ford is NO Bogging!

-