CMBN 1.10 Load Time Varies Directly with Number of Mods?

Sabot6

Hi, Everyone--

I posted an issue which I'm seeing with CMBN 1.10 (+ CW Module) in the support forum (original post: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=103461), but then realized that the problem may be with my mods so I thought someone here might have some suggestions.

I have loaded 70 mods into my Z Folder (52 of Aris/Fuser's vehicle and terrain mods and a handful of others such as Vein's sky, explosions, tracers & muzzle flashes, Mord's war ravaged faces and Rambler's weapons, JuJu's foxholes, trenches & bridges, etc.--all which are excellent, BTW!), and when I was playing CMBN 1.0.1 the game would load up very quickly, never taking more than 15--20 seconds.

Now, however, with CMBN 1.10 + CW Module it takes over 6 minutes for the game to load. I uninstalled all 70 of my mods and reinstalled them one by one to make sure that there weren't any problems, but other than the load time increasing directly with the number of mods (1--5 mods: 15 seconds; 6--15 mods: ~1 min; 16--25 mods: 2--3 min; 26--35 mods: 3--4 min; 36--50 mods: 4--5 min; 51--70 mods: 5--6+ min, with the longest load being 6:40), everything seems fine. As an aside, one of my PBEM partners who has the same mods as I is experiencing a similar situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the load time back to as it was with 1.0.1, or is this something that others are seeing with CMBN 1.10 + CW?

Thanks!

Perhaps,

But there was never any issue loading 1.0.1 with 70 mods; then, it never took more than 15--20 seconds....My question is whether the number of mods impacts the loading time of CMBN 1.10 + CW, and if so can anything be done short of reducing the number of mods installed?

Thanks!

Are all the mods in .brz format? If not, you might try packing them up into a .brz file. I think this helps with load time.

I believe the following can increase load times:

1. mod files larger than the stock (e.g. larger .wav samples in sound mods)

2. mod files with a greater number of variations than stock (e.g. helmet mods with 15 different randomly selected textures)

3. mod files not packed into .brz format (i.e. instead of a single .brz file, the mod consists of a folder full of .bmps, .wavs, .mdrs, etc.)

Now, however, with CMBN 1.10 + CW Module it takes over 6 minutes for the game to load. I uninstalled all 70 of my mods and reinstalled them one by one to make sure that there weren't any problems, but other than the load time increasing directly with the number of mods (1--5 mods: 15 seconds; 6--15 mods: ~1 min; 16--25 mods: 2--3 min; 26--35 mods: 3--4 min; 36--50 mods: 4--5 min; 51--70 mods: 5--6+ min, with the longest load being 6:40), everything seems fine. As an aside, one of my PBEM partners who has the same mods as I is experiencing a similar situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the load time back to as it was with 1.0.1, or is this something that others are seeing with CMBN 1.10 + CW?

I just counted my mods - 92. Wow I did not know I had that many. I have 72 installed in my 1.01 install. The thing is I have not noticed a longer load times. I have not measured it like you have but I do have a 5min screen saver and small games load before the screen saver kicks in - just like with 1.01 and larger games finish loading shortly after the screen saver kicks in. I don't have a game that will not load in around 5min. Worst case the game is ready once I have woken up the screen saver and typed in my pw. I was under the impression that 1.10 is loading faster - but again I have not measured.

I believe the following can increase load times:

<snip>

3. mod files not packed into .brz format (i.e. instead of a single .brz file, the mod consists of a folder full of .bmps, .wavs, .mdrs, etc.)

Interesting I do not remember reading that .brz files are faster at loading. Was that something that was mentioned on the forum?

I've loaded up scenarios many a time over the last few weeks, and almost the first thing I noticed after installing CW were the improved loading times (you know, like, shorter)!

I have 24 mods installed. Mostly small ones, but also a lot of sound files (Mord's/Dietrich's, both packed, another unpacked 200 sound files in folders). No terrain mods.

That's 476 MB, spread over 844 loose files (145MB) and 18 .brz's (331MB).

Shall we benchmark?

I have 24 mods installed. Mostly small ones, but also a lot of sound files (Mord's/Dietrich's, both packed, another unpacked 200 sound files in folders). No terrain mods.

Load times on 'A Delaying Action,' Axis. With mods installed.

1st run - 34 sec.

2nd run - 29 sec.

3rd run - 29 sec.

Load times on 'A Delaying Action,' Axis. Without mods installed.

1st run - 32 sec.

2nd run - 28 sec.

3rd run - 28 sec.

No, I timed with a stopwatch how long it takes after clicking 'ok' on the 'select game options' screen up until the 'briefing screen' pops up. And that three consecutive times. That's probably why the 2nd and 3rd load times are slightly better.

Also, loading times seem to depend on graphics quality.

I usually play on Best/Best and once reset it to Fastest/Fastest, which seemed to give much shorter load times.

So, if you're going to compare, make sure you have the same settings there as well.

Shall we benchmark?

Load times on 'A Delaying Action,' Axis. With mods installed.

1st run - 34 sec.

2nd run - 29 sec.

3rd run - 29 sec.

Load times on 'A Delaying Action,' Axis. Without mods installed.

1st run - 32 sec.

2nd run - 28 sec.

3rd run - 28 sec.

You'll have to compare those times based on the hardware underneath if you want to compare some aspects. Individually, on the same box, the numbers are valid, but I wonder if there are other things that might be at work... (I'm curious where the work occurs)

Hard drive: SSD? SATA? EIDE? 10,000RPM, 7200RPM, or 5400RPM?

System memory: ? (used by default for caching/read-ahead)

CPU: ? (cores and speed - speed mainly)

I'll run a test this evening on my Windows box:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 quad-core 3.0Ghz

HDD: SATA3 7200RPM

RAM: 8 GB RAM

If we actually had some benchmarks where the number of mods made a significant difference then yes it would be good to know what was more different about that machine.

My machine specs are thus:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (64 bit)

HP model a6500f

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.8GHz

4 Gb RAM

500 GB SATA 7200 RPM HD

with and upgraded video card: Radeon HD 6770 with 1Gb memory

Clearly JuJu's machine is quite a bit zipper than mine. The new video card gives me 20-30 fps on the best graphics settings and that will hold me over until the next PC upgrade cycle that is approved by the family accountant:)

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Processor 3.33GHz, Dual-Core, 4MB i5-660, s1156

Asus Mobo P7P55D-E,s1156

OCZ Solid State Drive Vertex 2 (SSD's really helps decrease loading times! Gotta love these)

4GB Mushkin memory Radioactive DDR3 1600

Geforce GTX 580 w/1536MB DDR5 memory

Homebrew machine:

Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 940, 3Ghz

8 GB PC2700 (2x4)

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P mobo

ATI Radeon 4850, 512MB DDR3

v1.01 CMBN, No Mods

1:13

1:12

1:12

v1.10 CMBN, No Mods (yes, I just loaded the 1.10 patch this evening)

Downloading some mods now... I'll edit this post after installing.

33.7 (so no real effects even with 380MB of mods installed to z)

And surprising to me:

2011 Mac mini

OS X Lion

Intel Core i5, 2.6 Ghz

8 GB 1333 DDR3 (2x4)

AMD Radeon HD 6630M (measly 256MB video ram)

v1.10 CW, No Mods

I thought Juju's SSD's were going to spank any spindle based drives, no matter what.