AT gun movement

I've got an AT gun hidden behind a hedge. I want to move it a few yards further down to get a different field of fire. Over a number of game turns I've issued it with loads of movement orders via the hotkey but it refuses to budge. It is not pinned nor even observed by the enemy. Anyone get any likely explanations? Thanks.....

Packing up a gun takes from under a minute to up to 8 minutes depending on the model of the gun, so it's quite likely that you'll just have to wait a few turns.

It's a Pak40 with a veteran crew and a +2 leader rating. It is however out of command. I didn't realise it could take so long to pack up. I waited 3 minutes on one occasion and assumed this would be enough. I will try it again, for a longer period. Cheers

Look at the action text for the team.

Packing Up or Deploying should be there somewhere.

Just issuing it with a movement order will make it pack up automatically, won't it? I don't have to also click on the deploy button.... right?

You can see the pack-up and deploy times in the unit's interface, under the gun's silhouette. For PaK 40 deploying takes 2.2 minutes and packing up 4.4 minutes. Occasionally it can take more than the standard time, eg. deploying a HMG inside a building takes more time than outside, but for your ATG that should be reliable.

Giving a move command will automatically tell them to pack up. Remember to give them a deploy order afterwards because they will not automatically deploy after the move!

You can see the pack-up and deploy times in the unit's interface, under the gun's silhouette. For PaK 40 deploying takes 2.2 minutes and packing up 4.4 minutes. Occasionally it can take more than the standard time, eg. deploying a HMG inside a building takes more time than outside, but for your ATG that should be reliable.

Giving a move command will automatically tell them to pack up. Remember to give them a deploy order afterwards because they will not automatically deploy after the move!

Excellent..... thanks mate.

Why would you "pack it up" to move it a few meters?

Remember that the minimum move is 8m. You've got 40 rounds of ammo to shift, and who knows what kind of vegetation and rocks to snag your spread tails. Think of it as abstracting the various difficulties that are below the level of resolution of what can be presented on screen.

Remember that the minimum move is 8m. You've got 40 rounds of ammo to shift, and who knows what kind of vegetation and rocks to snag your spread tails. Think of it as abstracting the various difficulties that are below the level of resolution of what can be presented on screen.

Nah, that abstraction doesn't work for me.

The same "pickup" time for a couple meters move and for actual travel?

I hear you on obstacles but this isn't taken into account. Just cartwheeling a gun around doesn't involve a procedure resembling Easter Mass. There are even historical accounts to confirm, e.g. "Panzerjaeger".

Remind me, do CMBN guns at least have the ability to move backwards without turning around?

Probably not.

I'd love if they had "reverse" movement order. Is that so hard to do ? They should be able reverse up to one grid with no delay - they could be programmed to do a pack-up later, but DO move one grid without delay first.

At least they could withdraw few meters back from a fire position, when attacked. Gun crews did it all the time.

Also remind me, there still isn't a model for the faster traverse inside the carriage, and then the slower traverse if you have to lift the carriage? That was nagging me about CMx1, too. Such a computer model is also in the game(s), namely the StuGs already behave this way. I would have liked for towed guns to inherit this code.

Probably not.

I'd love if they had "reverse" movement order. Is that so hard to do ? They should be able reverse up to one grid with no delay - they could be programmed to do a pack-up later, but DO move one grid without delay first.

At least they could withdraw few meters back from a fire position, when attacked. Gun crews did it all the time.

I agree. Guns should have been given a reverse capability. It would have been more realistic. To sum up it sounds like it's going to take at least ten minutes from start to finish to move my gun eight metres! That's not worth it so I will leave it where it is and make damn sure I position it right next time....

I agree too. Guns often moved for a long distance by it's own crew - albeit slowly then by truck and, of course, this kind of moving exhausted men.

Such a long packing and unpacking must be leave for transportation by vehicles only - in this case you win in speed of movement.