What about tournaments

Hey guys

I was wanderig if there will be any type of tornament with SC: TGW using mainly the WW1 maps. I see some thigs about it in the SC: GC forum, but i'm not much into GC, i preefer much more TGW and i would love to see a tournament running in here.

So, if anyone have any clue or idea if there will be any tornament and how it will work, please post here.

Cool, we have 4, that makes semi-finals and finals :)

If anyone have the wish to play in a tournament or think will might play in it, post in here, but post a way we can have an idea of your centainty, like "I will play, count on me." or "I might play, will depend on how things will go."

Because this will not work without more people, at least 8 are requered to play a good and fun tournament. Counting on you guys :) .

Ok people, now to the real deal! What map will it be? It will be all with mirror games? We will do with standard rules? We will makes leagues or just to be play-offs? Should there be any winning prize?

Ok, here is my position:

For the map, i would preefer Call to arms.

We should do all mirror games, if we play with leagues, and no mirror games for play-offs.

The rules should be diplomacy, research, production delay and with soft build limit.

I think we could do a tournament with leagues, but we need more people to do that.

I would like to see a prize for the tournament, but that is not necessary.

Ok, leave your opinion here, and if anyone haven't posted yet please, let's know if you are interested.

Ok people, now to the real deal! What map will it be? It will be all with mirror games? We will do with standard rules? We will makes leagues or just to be play-offs? Should there be any winning prize?

Ok, here is my position:

For the map, i would preefer Call to arms.

We should do all mirror games, if we play with leagues, and no mirror games for play-offs.

The rules should be diplomacy, research, production delay and with soft build limit.

I think we could do a tournament with leagues, but we need more people to do that.

I would like to see a prize for the tournament, but that is not necessary.

Ok, leave your opinion here, and if anyone haven't posted yet please, let's know if you are interested.

One option is to create table of all the players and start LEAGUE. The disadvantage of this type of tournament is long time as in league each player plays against all the players.

The other option are playoffs- we could randomly set pairs of opponents. However there is disadvantage that for some players the tournament will be short if they lose first game.

So I suggest that we play something in between, like in European Champions League: there will be couple of small groups (max. 4 players in each) and in first stage players play against each other within their groups. The second stage is play-off of the winners and runner-ups from the groups. The question is should there be just one game or match and rematch? The problem is that the both WW1 campaings are time consuming and in my opinion good tournament mustn't be too long.

Another question: will there be a referee (someone who solves the disputes)?

In terms of the rules, they are ok, I would only add NO UNDO MOVES options.

I'd suggest mirror matches of the mini campaigns for the initial stages of the competition. In this way the results would be fair and the games wouldn't take too long. Fate Of Nations for the semi final and Call To Arms match as a grand final, with a after action report on the forum. Some players would be out quickly but everyone will have next chance in the new tournament:) Now the question is who would be a referee - me not, casue I intent to win this goddamn thing! :eek:

so, if sharkman plays, we have 8, that does a tournament already. With only 8 we will do on play-offs, i will give until friday for anyone to sign here for the tournament. For now the rules will be:

1th and 2nd games will be decided by 3 mini camaping games with no mirror, the on to win 2 or more games moves up. Semi-finals will be a fate of nations game, winner go to finals. The finals will be a Call to Arms game, and to decide the 3rd position another Fate of Nation between the semi-final loosers.

The sides will be chosen ramdomly and the mini camapings scenarious will also been choosen ramdomly.

the rules for every game will be:

fog of war-ON

weather-ON

Undo moves-OFF

Retrats-ON

Production Delay-ON

Research-ON

Soft Build Limit-OFF

Diplomacy-ON

With standard scripts and the only official maps.

There is no prize for the winner in the tournament, for now it's only about fun and i would like to keep the first one just like that.

Please, give your opinion.

I'm interested but time is a constraint for me, so place me if you need an even number. Will deadlines be established for completing individual games? How much time per game?

I don't think there should be any time limitation because everyone's time is kind of limited. From my experience a large campaign takes usually around two months, playing a turn per day. O course players should have a possibility to surrender before time, if they decide that their situation is hopeless and that kind of result should be valid aswell. If we have eight players, starting with mini campaigns, then semi finals and a final, then I estimate that the whole thing will take around 3-4 months, so no rush.

Kommandant - I think that the game for the third place should be Call To Arms aswell.

so, if sharkman plays, we have 8, that does a tournament already. With only 8 we will do on play-offs, i will give until friday for anyone to sign here for the tournament. For now the rules will be:

1th and 2nd games will be decided by 3 mini camaping games with no mirror, the on to win 2 or more games moves up. Semi-finals will be a fate of nations game, winner go to finals. The finals will be a Call to Arms game, and to decide the 3rd position another Fate of Nation between the semi-final loosers.

The sides will be chosen ramdomly and the mini camapings scenarious will also been choosen ramdomly.

the rules for every game will be:

fog of war-ON

weather-ON

Undo moves-OFF

Retrats-ON

Production Delay-ON

Research-ON

Soft Build Limit-OFF

Diplomacy-ON

With standard scripts and the only official maps.

There is no prize for the winner in the tournament, for now it's only about fun and i would like to keep the first one just like that.

Please, give your opinion.

No we come back to the issue of the referee. I mean the players can control each other but how will we decide who will play with who and the sides of campaigns? Any ideas?

No we come back to the issue of the referee. I mean the players can control each other but how will we decide who will play with who and the sides of campaigns? Any ideas?

Ok, to choose i would do a random thing, it will not soud very professional btw, i would use this site http://www.random.org/ to generate random numbers, i would give a number to every one, 1-8 and another number to every mini campaing, and i would generate another random one to choose the side. as i said, it sounds unprofessional but it can be done. This is my present idea. Just for the record, Glabro will be helping me putting every thing in place.

Now, i could be the referee, when some one ends the game, send me the save, so i can say who is the winner and post a print in here.

Obs: There can be surrender by any player at any moment of the game.

Oh and Ivanov, i'm waiting your turn :P

I'd suggest mirror matches of the mini campaigns for the initial stages of the competition. In this way the results would be fair and the games wouldn't take too long. Fate Of Nations for the semi final and Call To Arms match as a grand final, with a after action report on the forum.

I like this suggestion because it should keep the pace up, though the question is which mini campaigns would be best. Perhaps a choice of Gallipoli, Kaiserschlacht or Race to the Sea as I think they are the most balanced?