Kiss My What(!), GoodBye??

So I have this M8 Greyhound (Vet/Fit) in the hunt mode topping a slight rise to recon the rear of a German position. Bingo!; the M8 & a PzIV simultaneously spot each other (under 500m), the PzIV slews its' turret to engage. My trusty Greyhound immediately 'buttons up' but does nothing else but to await its' certain fate (which is delivered 25sec later). Is there anything I can set in the game parameters to activate a units sense of self preservation? In CMx1 you could count on your units to pop smoke & reverse away from harm (or certain death). Am I going to have to manually add a smoke/reverse move to the end of every hunt? I would think a veteran commander would recognize a no-win situation & act accordingly (and immediately).

So I have this M8 Greyhound (Vet/Fit) in the hunt mode topping a slight rise to recon the rear of a German position. Bingo!; the M8 & a PzIV simultaneously spot each other (under 500m), the PzIV slews its' turret to engage. My trusty Greyhound immediately 'buttons up' but does nothing else but to await its' certain fate (which is delivered 25sec later). Is there anything I can set in the game parameters to activate a units sense of self preservation? In CMx1 you could count on your units to pop smoke & reverse away from harm (or certain death). Am I going to have to manually add a smoke/reverse move to the end of every hunt? I would think a veteran commander would recognize a no-win situation & act accordingly (and immediately).

How can you know the two vehicles spotted each other simultaneously?

Given that the M8 had actually seen the tank, what you saw is an unusual reaction. Normally, light stuff will GTFO of Dodge pronto. What was the leadership rating of the unit? Morale?

Sounds like a minor misfeature in the engine. I mean, even if he cannot see an enemy tank any more, it's not a like a commander who just saw instant death in front of him is going to forget about it.

Maybe it would be better if the crewmen acted on their own in that kind of situation. A panicked driver could create some hilarious situations. :D

Perhaps it simulates the driver stalling the engine, panicked by the terror in the commanders voice, or the commander fainting at seeing the Pz IV. Question is, if you test numerous encounters like this what is the most common result. If it's, get the hell outta Dodge, then this reaction is a statistical outlier and lifes a virtual bitch!

without multible testings, nothing to complain about. My units normally seem to have the reverse gear figured out. But I have done no testing to see if what is being said here happens too often. But I have seen similar results. where I am wondering why the unit is not getting out of there, its a no win situation.

Only thru test can you really decide what the game will normally do.

Maybe it would be better if the crewmen acted on their own in that kind of situation. A panicked driver could create some hilarious situations. :D

Not just under combat conditions - i saw drivers under training stress killing their engine when trying to leave cover - or slamming in reverse and killing the engine at the same time ...:(

without multible testings, nothing to complain about. My units normally seem to have the reverse gear figured out. But I have done no testing to see if what is being said here happens too often. But I have seen similar results. where I am wondering why the unit is not getting out of there, its a no win situation.

Only thru test can you really decide what the game will normally do.

Based on my game play, armoured cars (and jeeps/kübelwagens) have NO problem hitting reverse when they see something deadly to themselves. Pumas seem to be less likely to reverse in my experiences, but since they have a good shot of killing US tanks, it's understandable.

Jyri

Thanks Guys;

I don't recall what that CO's leadership rating was, he was Vet/Fit/Typical. Guess I'll just chalk this one up to FOW. Earlier in the same scenario I has two M8's stumble upon a IV sneaking along in a gully. One was under 50ft at exact right angle & his overwatch was less than 100ft to the right rear of the IV. Result?: four penetrations as fast as they could load those popguns. The IV blew in a big way & nobody got out. (Karma's fickle)

Thanks Guys;

I don't recall what that CO's leadership rating was, he was Vet/Fit/Typical. Guess I'll just chalk this one up to FOW. Earlier in the same scenario I has two M8's stumble upon a IV sneaking along in a gully. One was under 50ft at exact right angle & his overwatch was less than 100ft to the right rear of the IV. Result?: four penetrations as fast as they could load those popguns. The IV blew in a big way & nobody got out. (Karma's fickle)

This is one thing in this game engine that is much more common, it is the side that spots first and fires that normally wins the conflict, not the side with the best armor. Of course taking on panthers from the front is still not recommended. but even then. I have seen four short barrel shermans at range , blind and then target practice on a panther and do plenty of damage even at range (700-800 meter) just because they spotted first and fired.

Much harder to dictate what you want as a battle result. But much more realistic to real life. Spotting and shooting first is very important. The frustration in the game is at times you cannot figure out why the unit is not spotting the enemy that you see should be within clear sight.