Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Fire Brigade

OK, first reply then:

I have been able to play it, just yesterday, in Realtime against the AI. It was quite interesting to watch the long range Panther vs. Sherman duels.

It took about 5 to 6 minutes to load (a guess, I didn't take the time) and it played quite sluggishly, as could be expected. But it was still playable.

Now the funny thing. At first, I tried to load Fire Brigade after doing one of my WEGO PBEM turns (small scenario, Deville). And surely, I got an OOM while loading Fire Brigade. I had this maybe three to four times before in total (including CMSF, which also had OOM crashes) and it always happened when trying to load big scenarios after playing another battle before.

Whenever I load big scenarios with a freshly started, "clean" CMBN, I will not have OOM crashes. Even when I played something beforehand it is not guaranteed that an OOM will occur.

Strange stuff, really. But it should be reproduceable, at least to some degree.

A wee screenshot to show that it is playable - this is about 1.5 hours into the action. Germans about to swing back and attack Orlovka.

I'm not sure why you guys are having issues with this - there is a thread over on the tech forum about OOM issues etc. I've not got a state of the art PC by any means. I think Mike has it nailed though and it's what I do. Start with a 'clean' load of CMBN - you can play your turns no problem. Latter in the game I start to save a lot more though as when the fighting hots up there is lot's going on and then my PC gasps. I will then get OOM issues. So at this stage I find I can run around three turns, then save, exit the game, reload the game, load the save file and kick off where I left off.

My suspicion is this is just a very, very large scenario. Very large map with a reasonable number of units - long LOS and LOF. That's lot's of game computations going on under the hood.

Hope this helps.

cmnormandy2011102721592.jpg

FYI - Fire Brigade this is not a battalion sized fight. Two reduced companies of panzergrenadiers in SPW, approx 15+ German AFVs versus roughly the same number of US units (numbers are approx so as not to spilt FOW). It is a large map though - althouhg most of the terrain is rolling hills and fields. Map pretty much hsows the amount of German units on map. I've lost several tanks and SPW to enemy action at this point.

Nice use of different shaped unit icons specific to their role. Can I ask where you found such a mod and what it's called?

Regards

KR

The icon mods I used in the above image are Wolfe's Geometric Floating Icons - you can get them in the repository:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1371

Cheery!

George

BTW, I did not have any loading and or saving problems with that scenario, besides the fact that it becomes sluggish at some moment. My graphic card then has difficulties catching up, my quick move on the map playing R.T

Huge map. Good scenario. Got in trouble having difficulties to keep my situation awareness because of the graphic card issue. Will try it in Wego later on.

FYI - Fire Brigade this is not a battalion sized fight. Two reduced companies of panzergrenadiers in SPW, approx 15+ German AFVs versus roughly the same number of US units (numbers are approx so as not to spilt FOW). It is a large map though - althouhg most of the terrain is rolling hills and fields. Map pretty much hsows the amount of German units on map. I've lost several tanks and SPW to enemy action at this point.

I decided to revisit this again just to verify the concerns about memory etc. I am 60 minutes in and no issues running it. No out of memory at all so far. I then saved the game as it was late and just to check tried loading the save. I did find that in loading the save I had to change some of my video settings. The game insisted I was out of memory depsite my 1GB video card. Still I was able to get it to load and will finish tonight.

As to the game itself, what a bloodbath George. I found myself very glad that CM doesn't depict the slaughter within a halftrack as it goes up. I obliterated the relief force at the cost of one crewman each on 2 StuGs, one of the StuGs weapons were disabled, a Pz IV lost and one 3 man recon team. Watching the halftrack mounted infantry do the Charge of the Light Brigade into the guns of 2 full Panzer companies was a little gory. Have the town surrounded right now and just finished up my initial artillery barrage and picked off a few more exposed units. Interestingly a good portion of my losses so far are to surviving AFV crews wandering the field like the Walking Dead.

Hi Guys - nice to know someone can play it :)

@sburke - this scenario does involve a lot of stuff going up in flames. You are right the inside of these half tracks would be pretty awaful after a hit... I've noticed that AFV crews and their small arms appear to be deadly at short range. It's like facing Wyatt Earp and his boys at gunfight at the OK corral! They are lethal!

Hi Guys - nice to know someone can play it :)

@sburke - this scenario does involve a lot of stuff going up in flames. You are right the inside of these half tracks would be pretty awaful after a hit... I've noticed that AFV crews and their small arms appear to be deadly at short range. It's like facing Wyatt Earp and his boys at gunfight at the OK corral! They are lethal!

Finished up, Allies surrendered at the 1:34 mark. Then I had to laugh after seeing I only got a tactical victory with a 900 point "friendly" bonus to both sides. I think I am playing an older version. Anyway whichever one I have ran okay and is the 3.5 x 3.5 map. I had I think 12 Panthers and 13 Pz Kw IV, though I'd have to go back and take a closer look. The tank kills are almost all from the Panthers and StuGs. The Pz Kw IV company was busy doing a long right hook and arrived on position in time to catch the armored Infantry in the flank. I destroyed 44 tanks and 50+ armored vehicles (Lost one PzKw IV to an AT gun and the StuG got a little banged up). Enemy casualties were just under 500. I think I still have your older version and it sounds like the force levels are a bit higher.

Finished up, Allies surrendered at the 1:34 mark. Then I had to laugh after seeing I only got a tactical victory with a 900 point "friendly" bonus to both sides. I think I am playing an older version. Anyway whichever one I have ran okay and is the 3.5 x 3.5 map. I had I think 12 Panthers and 13 Pz Kw IV, though I'd have to go back and take a closer look. The tank kills are almost all from the Panthers and StuGs. The Pz Kw IV company was busy doing a long right hook and arrived on position in time to catch the armored Infantry in the flank. I destroyed 44 tanks and 50+ armored vehicles (Lost one PzKw IV to an AT gun and the StuG got a little banged up). Enemy casualties were just under 500. I think I still have your older version and it sounds like the force levels are a bit higher.

Wow :) Good move with the Panzer IVs.

Possible Spoiler

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

It's worth minding there are three US AI Plans. Depending on how you choose to fight that right hook could have gone horribly wrong ;)

Hhmm I think you are playing the latest version. The bonus was down to the fact I had included EXIT zones for both sides as 'escape' options and also to allow fleeing units to exit the map. I had thought that giving both sides the same bonus would sort of cancel each other out but it would seem not.

I must admit when I've played it I've lost more armour - usually Panzer IVs and not a few SPW. Anychance you could send me a save file from any point in your gaem please? I'll check out the scoring with the bonus points. Might be I just remove that. Leastways you can see the game gave you a tactical victory but looks like you whopped their ass ;)

Anyways cheers for playing this right through and posting your comments on it. Very much appreciated ta :)

Cheery!

George

I must admit when I've played it I've lost more armour - usually Panzer IVs and not a few SPW. Anychance you could send me a save file from any point in your gaem please? I'll check out the scoring with the bonus points. Might be I just remove that. Leastways you can see the game gave you a tactical victory but looks like you whopped their ass ;)

Anyways cheers for playing this right through and posting your comments on it. Very much appreciated ta :)

Cheery!

George

I'll send you a link to the save I did at the one hour mark, after that I just played straight through to the end. It mostly consisted at that point of slowly picking off all the enemy hunkered down in the town.

The Allies surrendered at the 53 minute mark. Tactical Victory. AI used the plan that came down the center. This was version one. Played Wego.

It took about 4 minutes to load the first time. Saves take about a minute. The movie took around 40 seconds to compute.

There are alot of units to give orders to once the battle for the town starts, but that part wasn't to bad. With the four different groups ending up at the far reaches of the map, moving over to them to give orders was more of a challenge than giving the orders. :rolleyes:

This might be a harder challenge played as Allies, as those Panthers would be a real challenge once they got set.

Whenever the ram went over 1,600,000 being used, then next computation would have an OOM crash for sure. Early in the game could play several turns before it would reach the critical level. Later it might only take one turn and crash next. Also have seen OOM at lower levels, so go figure.

Once when the AI arty fired the ram usage seemed to make a bigger jump than I expected and stayed there, which hastened the OOM within another couple turns. It only hit ground in the open, so no great damage. Could be normal behavior, but just seemed odd at the time.

When the game is first started the main menu page would show 188,000 ram usage. Open Fire Brigade and ram usage was over 1,370,000. If you went back out to the main menu it now showed it was using around 400,000 of the ram. Try loading a saved game and get OOM crash. :)

Windows 7, 64

4 gig ram

450 nvidia 1gig