Print screen problem

Ted

This is an interesting one.

I want to take a screen shot.

I hit ctrl-printscreen

open paint

paste

and all I see (have captured) is what is behind the game i.e. this web page or my wall paper.

Does not the ctrl-prtscn work in capturing a picture of the game?

Yeah there's always been problems with taking screenshots of CMx2 with Vista/Win7. You need FRAPs which is a breeze to use. You can change the BMP to JPG by just renaming the extension, smaller size for easier upload times at little quality loss.

Tip: it doesn't need to be running prior to launching CMBN. So when you get a nice pic lined up, just alt-tab out, start it, alt-tab back in and snap away.

I have Win7 64 bit and was able to take several screen shots using print screen. I just tested it now to verify. You don't need to hold Control, you can just hit Print Screen and it's finicky. The first time I usually get the main menu when I paste and if you are taking several shots, you will have to go back and forth a couple times as sometimes the new screen shot won't take and you paste the old one. So you have to switch back to the game, retake the shot then try to paste again. If you want to take a lot of shots or take shots often, you may want to download something more reliable. I take maybe two or three a week so I just deal with the extra 10 seconds it takes me to use the print screen button.

I have Win7 64 bit and was able to take several screen shots using print screen. I just tested it now to verify. You don't need to hold Control, you can just hit Print Screen and it's finicky. The first time I usually get the main menu when I paste and if you are taking several shots, you will have to go back and forth a couple times as sometimes the new screen shot won't take and you paste the old one. So you have to switch back to the game, retake the shot then try to paste again. If you want to take a lot of shots or take shots often, you may want to download something more reliable. I take maybe two or three a week so I just deal with the extra 10 seconds it takes me to use the print screen button.

But why do you even bother when there's the Fraps available?

To be honest, just lazy I guess. It works well enough for me for the little I use it, so I just never bothered. I'm not saying that's the best way or even suggesting to do it my way. I was just saying it's possible in case TED was like me and found it satisfactory to their needs. Although apparently according to Lets All Fight I am just lucky :)

Well, if it works for you go for it. I wonder why it works for you? GPU? Something else?

Actually just gave it a try on my freshly installed Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it did work. Though as mentioned, the first try is a image of the main menu, but it did work on the second attempt. Before on my Vista 32-bit install it never worked, was always just a black screen.

P.S. Got the GTX 570 on the 280.26 drivers.

Actually just gave it a try on my freshly installed Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it did work. Though as mentioned, the first try is a image of the main menu, but it did work on the second attempt. Before on my Vista 32-bit install it never worked, was always just a black screen.

P.S. Got the GTX 570 on the 280.26 drivers.

Cool. I wonder if something got changed in a Windows update. I'll give it a spin myself tomorrow.

not to beat it to death, but fraps really is your best friend here. All you do is hit F10 and keep going and you can hit it as often as you like. Then you go and sort through your shots later. If you are working on an AAR or trying to fool a scene sequence to post, it makes all the difference betwen a laborious process that risks an out of memory issue and a simple button click.

I took your suggestions and downloaded the free FRAPS software and it seems you cannot change the screen capture from bmp to jpg without being a registered user (which costs $37).

Or am I missing something?

You are exactly correct, however considering you are going to want to crop the pic and clean it up to get the best from it for posting, that is simply a small step when you save it. I have been using Picassa for editing and have it set to save automatically as jpeg so I don't have to do anything additional.

If you haven't I highly recommend going back to this thread on the whole posting process. The suggestions really help get the most out of it and they are easy to follow.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=97288

Just wanted to point out one of the bonuses I found in the FRAPS program.

I have multiple monitors and when I did a print screen I would capture the screen on all the monitors and had to crop out what I didn't want.

FRAPS just captures the CM screen.

(I load it in to Paint or Photoshop and save as a jpg.)

Works great, thanks.