RO2 Beta Release

MeatEtr

Downloading now...

Anybody else pay the extra $10 for the now two weeks early access? I got the Steam 20% off, so was still only $40 for the beta deluxe edition. Hopefully it's not too buggy as it's still beta. I'll report back after some trigger time.

I absolutely love it, but it's pretty unstable for me. I usually get a CTD within 1 min of joining a match. About 1 in 10 tries I can play for a few rounds before crashing. Turning down the graphics seems to help some, but doesn't fix it. Hopefully they will get a patch out soon.

The feel of everything is awesome. They removed all of the clunkiness of RO1 but left the gameplay. Animations are great, sound is great, cover mechanic works, every time you fire a rifle it has some real *oomph* to it. Some people complain that the minimap makes the game less hardcore, but I like it. It gives you the exact same info as the map in RO1, but without the need to press a key to bring it up. It also shows the exact boundaries of the cap zone, no more searching around trying to find an invisible line.

Yeah I've had some problems as well, make sure your graphics driver control panel is not set to override, especially anti-aliasing. I had to change these to application controlled to restore some missing options, I had no controls or audio, just video options.

Also having trouble with the Fallen Fighters map, it crashes a lot. I can play all other maps on Ultra, but on that map my graphics have to be on medium or lower. It runs about half the time on High settings. So you may want to try and avoid that map.

But overall, I love it too, feels so much more smoother than RO1, well worth the wait. I even don't mind the relaxed realism servers either, although will eventually settle into the realism servers. Playing Firefight is pretty chaotic, it's a good change of pace from the classic territory mode.

well that's a bit crap.I can't find any servers in the browser list.Even after changing the master server lists as advised.Its also odd that I can still get a list of servers when I fire up RO.Its just RO2 that's broken.

arse

Gautrek, apparently using the Steam trading beta can fix this, worth a try anyway. Below is a post from a dev about it, used a quote instead of link since Steam is a commercial link.

For those who can't find servers in the server browser after the update tonight. Opt into the Steam Client beta. It is called the Steam Trading Beta. It fixes the server browser issues for RO 1 and RO 2.

To access the Beta, go to File/View -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Steam Trade Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself.

Good luck with it!

Btw, here is the update log:

Tonights Beta Update Changelog

posted by [TW]Yoshiro @ 05:05PM on August 31, 2011

- Fixed the server browser being slow/laggy

- Fixed some crashing issues with the server browser

- Fixed certain maps crashing in countdown game mode when 64 players would respawn at the same time

- Fixed some icons getting stuck on the screen (FT1, FT2, etc)

- Fixed choosing (defaults) in the key config menu removing keys

- Fixed some debugging tools so us devs can figure out what is causing crashes easier

Well i have finally sorted it.Adter much searching of the forums i found a post about port forwarding.Turned on the 2 ports needed and bob's you uncle.But i only played for a couple of matches as my heart can't stand the pace.I remember being like this with the original RO.I needed a limit myself to a few games at first as i got so frustrated with it that i needed to calm down whilst playing.

Its bloody fast isn't it.Possibly a bit too fast for me as I prefer the more slow paced RO style game.But we will have to stick with it and see how e go.But i am liking what i have seen

Well i have finally sorted it.Adter much searching of the forums i found a post about port forwarding.Turned on the 2 ports needed and bob's you uncle.But i only played for a couple of matches as my heart can't stand the pace.I remember being like this with the original RO.I needed a limit myself to a few games at first as i got so frustrated with it that i needed to calm down whilst playing.

Its bloody fast isn't it.Possibly a bit too fast for me as I prefer the more slow paced RO style game.But we will have to stick with it and see how e go.But i am liking what i have seen

Good to hear. Yeah I think sprinting has been beefed up some, certainly adds to the faster feel. Also for slower paced games, especially with full realism on, stick to Countdown(single life) and the classic Territory game modes . The relaxed realism is more fast paced, especially playing Firefight.

We're getting three more maps sometime tonight(-5 EST) details below:

Week 1 of the Beta has been a great success with tens of thousands of players getting their first taste of Red Orchestra 2. With the players' help we've been able to uncover and address several issues including a particularly nasty server browser issue which was duly fixed. After opening up the RO2 Beta with 3 maps (Fallen Fighters, Apartments and Gumrak), we are cycling in 3 more maps for everyone later today:
  • Grain Elevator - the iconic battle site in the south of Stalingrad featuring long range infantry fighting outdoors and room to room close quarters combat inside
  • Red October Factory - night-time fighting in the factory ruins on an epic scale with infantry and tanks fighting side by side
  • Barracks - a mix of close-quarter and medium-range combat, sure to be a fan favorite

All 3 maps will have both Territory and Countdown game modes, while Barracks also has the Firefight mode.

Screenshots for you on the front page!

I've been able to connect by using the "recently played" tab. Also I've read on the forums you can connect by IP address. The server browser not working is a known bug, details below:

We are looking into the issue of updated servers NOT showing up in the browser. For now, connect via IP. Look in the forums for some.

We also strongly suggest those who are crashing on the new build to try turning down their settings. You may be running out of memorry on one of the new maps.

We'll be working hard tomorrow while some of you are enjoying your holiday to try and figure these things out!

well that's a bit crap.I can't find any servers in the browser list.Even after changing the master server lists as advised.Its also odd that I can still get a list of servers when I fire up RO.Its just RO2 that's broken.

arse

join via steam.

Add a bunch of people in the RO2 group and join through them.

I was crashing on the server browser constantly at first so I used that and it worked fine.

P.S. Grain Elevator is insaneeee.