Good laptop for CMBN?

My laptop is over a year old and it runs fine. CPU is an older core 2 duo, so any laptop with a modern i core should be fine. You'll need a good graphics engine, I have a Geforce GTX 260M in my laptop and CMBN runs smooth at the display's maximum 1440x900. Newer laptops with dedicated ATI or Nvidia engines in them should get the job done.

I'm currently using an Alienware M17x that I purchased in 2009. It's mostly stock with the exception of increased ram. The computer handles CMBN at max level with no problems. I am however upgrading to the M18x which I pretty much maxed out so it cost a lot of money. With computers these days you get what you pay for. Building your own laptop can be murder unless you really know your stuff and have a few trades under your belt. Good luck on your quest and expect to pay $2000.00 minimum for a quality laptop. Check out maingear dot com.

It depends on your philosophy of how often you change machines.

Laptops can't be upgraded easily, so I tend to assume I will hold onto a laptop a lot longer than a desktop. So, I'll spend extra to get a "closer to state of the art" laptop than my desktop - which is always a generation or two behind to get "best bang for the buck". But, of course the desktop can be upgraded a lot easier.

Do you think the GTX-series is needed, or could a slower card be sufficient, too?

I was getting about 20-21 fps with my card before the patch. And to be honest, you don't really want to go any lower into the teens, you'll start to notice screen lag. I haven't tested the fps since. Things seem smoother but I think that's because they improved the WSAD navigation controls.

You can use this site a as a basic benchmark to compare cards. My GTX 260M is somewhere in the middle.

I'm currently using an Alienware M17x that I purchased in 2009. It's mostly stock with the exception of increased ram. The computer handles CMBN at max level with no problems. I am however upgrading to the M18x which I pretty much maxed out so it cost a lot of money. With computers these days you get what you pay for. Building your own laptop can be murder unless you really know your stuff and have a few trades under your belt. Good luck on your quest and expect to pay $2000.00 minimum for a quality laptop. Check out maingear dot com.

I just received a max-spec M18x (processor overclocked to 4GHz, 2xGTX580m vid cards in SLI (OK SLI doesn't seem to really do much in CMBN), 16GB RAM, 2x256GB SSD). I can say right now that, to my surprise, CMBN with a large scenario (on max video specs) is more demanding than pretty much any other game using the same video options, including latest-gen flight sims such as IL2 CoD and Rise of Flight (SLI doesn't do much for them either). It certainly seems to chew on the CPU very hard.

I just received a max-spec M18x (processor overclocked to 4GHz, 2xGTX580m vid cards in SLI (OK SLI doesn't seem to really do much in CMBN), 16GB RAM, 2x256GB SSD). I can say right now that, to my surprise, CMBN with a large scenario (on max video specs) is more demanding than pretty much any other game using the same video options, including latest-gen flight sims such as IL2 CoD and Rise of Flight (SLI doesn't do much for them either). It certainly seems to chew on the CPU very hard.

My system is almost the same except only the one SSD and dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD HD 6990M instead of the NVIDIA cards. I've been using NVIDIA cards forever and decided to go with RADEON this time. What I find strange is the option differences between American and Canadian versions of the Alienware website.