How is someone supposed to defend on these maps?

Until now all of the Quick Battles I've played have been meeting engagements. Using random maps has meant that most of the time there are two or three victory locations, usually one near each player. However, my most recent game is another story. This time I chose an attack (Americans on Defense and the Germans on offense). This is the map that was chosen, with my setup zone shown in blue:

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-08-08%252520at%252520August%2525208%25252C%25252010.50.09%252520PM.jpg

Someone please tell me how in the hell I'm supposed to defend a victory location that is clear on the other side of the map. Additionally, let's say someone chooses, oh, some anti-tank guns for their defense (since Germans tend to, y'know, use tanks). What the heck kind of defense can I put up with that small of a setup zone? You certainly can't place any effective defense with a setup zone that small, and towing around a bunch of AT guns is probably not going to happen when you've got wide open lanes of fire that are just ripe for a Panther or Tiger to pick you off as you move.

Is this seriously how quick battles on these maps are supposed to work, or is there some serious flaw here that was overlooked? I can't imagine that this scenario is going to be anything remotely resembling fun.

its a bug in the setup zones

ive had this happen quite a few times,and as recently as yesterday

the QB generator screws up somehow and swaps the attacker/defender zones

however,ive also noticed that if you have map preview allowed,it can sometimes show you the oppositions deployment zones,and thus,gives you the false assumption that the zones have swapped,but,upon actual placement phase,the zones are correct

mighty confusing and certainly needs addressing

from your screen shot i can see the attackers intended deployment area in blue

the defender should have a larger area surrounding the objective,meaning that the highlighted area around the OB is highlighted to show the objectives zone,the defender should be able to deploy anywhere around it for some distance

with the use of arty in this game,its probably a good idea not to focus the static defence around the OB too much,and elect to use a mobile defence instead,and move into the OB zone once your certain the enemies arty is expended

my current game has had it happen again!!!!!!!

this is the 3rd attempt to setup an axis attacker v american defender QB

each time so far,the defenders forces are placed in the attackers deployment zone

driving me insane and wasting alot of gametime poncing about with the QB

BFC fix or do sumfink

the params for the battle were,(x3)

attack

med battle size

1 hour

map auto

map large

map type random(although last 2 attempts were village)

attacker german

force mix

human pick

map preview on

for what its worth

my current game has had it happen again!!!!!!!

this is the 3rd attempt to setup an axis attacker v american defender QB

each time so far,the defenders forces are placed in the attackers deployment zone

driving me insane and wasting alot of gametime poncing about with the QB

Are you actually getting as far as deploying your troops? As someone has already said, the bug sometimes only affects the map preview mode (that your screenie was taken from). It was, I thought, supposed to have been fixed in 1.01

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=281&Itemid=478

Quick Battles

* Corrected a problem that sometimes switched attacking and defending sides.

but it doesn't look like they quite hit the mark.

Edit: you have patched, I assume. If not, that might be the easy answer! Unless you're on a Mac, maybe.

Reload the file till the set up zones are correctly placed,that will solve this problem.

It's a kind of frustrating but it can be easily solved.

Just for clarification: do you mean if you see the wrong setup zone in the map preview quit the game and reload the turn file. Repeat until the setup zone is as expected?

i always continue to the deployment phase,just in case

so im positive the bug still exists,sadly

Ditto. I also went to the deployment phase and my setup zone was the blue area in the screenshot above. I'm on a Mac running 1.01.

I thought all of these side-swapping problems had been solved, so I figured this was a map issue and not a problem with the defenders and attackers swapping setup zones.

Attack (Assault&Probe)Large Forest(water)QB-145 is the only known QB Map setup error to date. I have the only fixed copy at the moment and plan to include in the next patch. If you send me an email I will be happy to send a corrected copy Mark.Ezra3591ATgmailDOTcom

If you are a MAC user the problem is most likely the particular download of V1.1 patch you have installed. Since I run a PC there is no way for me to test that problem. BUT:

If you and any H2H partner are playing on a PC here's what I need to know...

1. The full name of the QB Map

2. Either you or your partner use the map preview screen during unit purchase

3. Was US or German picked as Attacker.

BFC can't fix the problem until it's identified. Testing the QB game on my PC does not reveal the problem you guys are seeing. So I'll need your help.

Just for clarification: do you mean if you see the wrong setup zone in the map preview quit the game and reload the turn file. Repeat until the setup zone is as expected?

Yeah exactly, i ve done it twice so far in PBEM Games.

Reload the file till the set up areas are how they are supposed to be

I think it is a H2H Mac vs PC issue that BFC are aware of. I strongly suspect that it will be fixed in the next Mac patch (still waiting...).

I've encountered this problem on numerous occasions and have posted prolifically on this subject.

If you carry on with the game you should find yourself in the appropriate set up location and not in the attacker's zone.

I think it is a H2H Mac vs PC issue that BFC are aware of. I strongly suspect that it will be fixed in the next Mac patch (still waiting...).

I've encountered this problem on numerous occasions and have posted prolifically on this subject.

If you carry on with the game you should find yourself in the appropriate set up location and not in the attacker's zone.

That didn't happen in my case. I picked my forces and when it was time to deploy I was still stuck with that small blue setup zone on the opposite side of the map from the victory location.

I'll try reloading multiple times, as suggested earlier, but I've already loaded this game twice and been stuck in the same predicament both times. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't get the non-updated "updated" Mac 1.01 patch...

It's not just Mac-related - and it should be fixed in 1.01. If you're running the latest Mac patch, playing against PCs or Macs that are also running 1.01, you shouldn't be seeing this problem. If you are, we need files and bug reports.

If it *is* something that has in fact *not* been fixed in 1.01, then the next Mac patch (which fixes Lion issues and some other things) will NOT have a fix for it, as it's coming out very soon - as I updated in the "When will Mac run under Lion?" thread last week, we've been waiting on our DRM partners to fix some crash bugs of their own but apart from that it's ready to go. Most importantly, if it's still a problem, chances are it's not fixed on *both* PC and Mac, so we'd need to look into that on both sides, not just Macs.

So - who here having the problem is running on Mac? And is fully patched to the latest 1.01? How many are on PC with the 1.01 patch?

Clark, are you seeing FPS information in the lower-right-hand corner when you run a scenario? If yes, you're running the latest patch. If not, you've got the non-updated patch. Our mirrors have been terrible about complying with our requests to update the files. I know the latest can be had from Atomicgamer.

Clark, are you seeing FPS information in the lower-right-hand corner when you run a scenario? If yes, you're running the latest patch. If not, you've got the non-updated patch. Our mirrors have been terrible about complying with our requests to update the files. I know the latest can be had from Atomicgamer.

Phil,

I don't recall seeing the fps numbers, so my guess is that my patch isn't correct. I downloaded after it was supposedly updated, but have a feeling that I got the "old" 1.01 and not the "new" 1.01. Tonight when I get home I'm going to just wipe everything out and do a complete reinstall and fresh download of the patch from Atomicgamer. We'll see if that sorts things out.

Until now all of the Quick Battles I've played have been meeting engagements. Using random maps has meant that most of the time there are two or three victory locations, usually one near each player. However, my most recent game is another story. This time I chose an attack (Americans on Defense and the Germans on offense). This is the map that was chosen, with my setup zone shown in blue:

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-08-08%252520at%252520August%2525208%25252C%25252010.50.09%252520PM.jpg

Someone please tell me how in the hell I'm supposed to defend a victory location that is clear on the other side of the map. Additionally, let's say someone chooses, oh, some anti-tank guns for their defense (since Germans tend to, y'know, use tanks). What the heck kind of defense can I put up with that small of a setup zone? You certainly can't place any effective defense with a setup zone that small, and towing around a bunch of AT guns is probably not going to happen when you've got wide open lanes of fire that are just ripe for a Panther or Tiger to pick you off as you move.

Is this seriously how quick battles on these maps are supposed to work, or is there some serious flaw here that was overlooked? I can't imagine that this scenario is going to be anything remotely resembling fun.

Find a way.

Thats what the gods created infantry for.

Reinstalled from scratch, re-downloaded and re-installed the Mac 1.01 patch, and now it's working okay. My setup zone is actually around the victory location instead of off in the far corner of the map, and I've got the fps meter (which is handy, I must say). Looks like this was just a case of the "old" 1.01 patch, even though I downloaded it well after all the links were supposedly updated.