1939 Storm Over Europe Player's Guide

Hi

Once you've downloaded and installed the 1.02 patch you will find a guide to this campaign in the game's Manuals folder.

It contains some important information that should be of some use while you play, along with a list of all the decision events together with their pros and cons.

Bill

• 4 months later...

Hi,

really love the game - actually all Games - have bought all SC and SC2 and SCWWI titles by now. I have a few questions though...

What can I do to keep the SU as long out of war as possible? Is there any possibilty to keep them out of war later then 1941?

What are their factors to enter war?

The same for the US - how to keep those guys out of war after the Peral Harbor incident?

Will Spain always join after I have not accpeted Vichy and conquered Algiers or are there other criterias as well?

Just found something else funny ;-) When my Italian forces crashed the remnants of France in North Africa ( I did not accept Vichy) all of France turned Italian - weakening my German forces PP wise a lot - cause they had conquered it all by themselves before - and it said Vichy was killed ;-) Please ficx it - Germany needs the PPs to get rid of SU...

How to see the partisan activities on the map - where to place garrissions?

Hi,

really love the game - actually all Games - have bought all SC and SC2 and SCWWI titles by now. I have a few questions though...

What can I do to keep the SU as long out of war as possible? Is there any possibilty to keep them out of war later then 1941?

What are their factors to enter war?

The same for the US - how to keep those guys out of war after the Peral Harbor incident?

Will Spain always join after I have not accpeted Vichy and conquered Algiers or are there other criterias as well?

Hi Steelwarrior

It's great to see that you're enjoying the games! :)

Being careful with your offensives in Europe, having a sufficient but not excessive number of units on the Soviet border, using diplomacy even (if one is feeling so bold) are all factors involved, especially with the USSR.

It's harder to keep the USA out, but generally sticking to Germany's historical declarations of war rather than attacking every single country possible will help, i.e. if you were to attack Switzerland then you'd soon see quite a jump in the USA's mobilization value!

Spain will always join if you haven't accepted Vichy, conquer Algiers and say yes to the Decision Event which basically pays for Franco to enter the war. I must say that I've not always found this the best strategy to use, but it's the sort of thing that varies from game to game depending on the situation.

Bill

Hi,

I just rejected Vichy and conquered Algiers (twice I tried atually), but never got that decision with Spain - Italy conquered it and then it said I have peace with Vichy France and they got the whole from Germany conquered France and North Africa - so somehow does not seem to work or has Germany to destroy Algier so that this event fires...

As I said really enjoy the series - any new part soosn to come? ;-)

For SU - when i dfo not honor the Polans pact and invade Yugoslavia (I do invade Greece as well - both Yugoslavia and Greece before the officially join the Al.lies) early SU ist already at 72 and rushes quickly higher - each turn like 5 points and blows up at 87 - any idea how to change it? Thanks

Is the suffiecient number of units for SU just the Garrisions or more units?

Should Finnland not join the Axis, when I attack the SU?

Probably not - historically the Fins were reluctant to join the Axis, however Stalin did everything to provoke them in the summer of 1941 ( like ordering mass bombing of the Finninsh cities, few days after the start of Barbarossa ). Why he did so, is very unclear to this day. So the brave Fins were happy to reclaim the territory lost during the Winter War, but refused to cross the pre 1939 border. If Finland joined the Axis in the game, you could for example attack the Leningrad from the North and that would be ahistorical. If you want the Finnish army on your side, you need to use the diplomacy.

I believe I found a bug - after I deployed my Garrison on iceland and the USA received a hit from the USA on war readiness - two turns later the britih put in a Garrison and the whole Island changes to them - both by event ;-)

This is an event that transfers control of Iceland to the UK after Denmark surrenders... unfortunately this is how the game engine handles these events, i.e. similar to how Axis units will be booted out of Vichy France once Vichy France is created.

When this happens, your Axis Garrison unit should have been returned to friendly Axis territory somewhere on the map, and in this case most likely mainland Europe.

Just found something else funny ;-) When my Italian forces crashed the remnants of France in North Africa ( I did not accept Vichy) all of France turned Italian - weakening my German forces PP wise a lot - cause they had conquered it all by themselves before - and it said Vichy was killed ;-) Please ficx it - Germany needs the PPs to get rid of SU...

How to see the partisan activities on the map - where to place garrissions?

If you captured the French capital with Italian units then this is the expected behaviour, i.e. France would surrender to Italy.

For SU - when i dfo not honor the Polans pact and invade Yugoslavia (I do invade Greece as well - both Yugoslavia and Greece before the officially join the Al.lies) early SU ist already at 72 and rushes quickly higher - each turn like 5 points and blows up at 87 - any idea how to change it? Thanks

Is the suffiecient number of units for SU just the Garrisions or more units?

You'll need to maintain border units in and near Konigsberg and Warsaw, for the most part, but even then Soviet mobilization will still slowly rise albeit not as fast as likely what you are seeing in game.

And to Partisans - if I put Garrisions wherever they spawn, can I hinder them from spawning - like the ones in the woods? Thanks! How can i surpress those guys or I just need to hunt them down?

On or adjacent to any Partisan pop up position will do the trick and prevent them from spawning.

Probably not - historically the Fins were reluctant to join the Axis, however Stalin did everything to provoke them in the summer of 1941 ( like ordering mass bombing of the Finninsh cities, few days after the start of Barbarossa ). Why he did so, is very unclear to this day. So the brave Fins were happy to reclaim the territory lost during the Winter War, but refused to cross the pre 1939 border. If Finland joined the Axis in the game, you could for example attack the Leningrad from the North and that would be ahistorical. If you want the Finnish army on your side, you need to use the diplomacy.

There is a chance that Finland will enter the war when Axis forces are approaching Leningrad, a 40% chance per turn as long as there is an Axis unit within 3-5 tiles of the city. Otherwise, it will be through diplomacy.

There is a chance that Finland will enter the war when Axis forces are approaching Leningrad, a 40% chance per turn as long as there is an Axis unit within 3-5 tiles of the city. Otherwise, it will be through diplomacy.

I continue this subject in the SOE balance thread.

• 2 months later...

There is a chance they will fight on for a little while longer, providing they still have some units left. So get killing off their troops, and you will be increasing the chance of their surrender every turn. Shouldn't be long then!