Rear Area Shelling

I mentioned this before. A lot of campaign maps I've had large forces which I can't immediately commit to combat responsibly. Or vehicles like jeeps and trucks which would make no sense to move forward... I finished all the campaigns and have been working on individual battles and I'm finding the same crap happening.

I have not played any games vs humans yet. But the AI continues to have a pattern of habitually shelling my rear areas liberally rather than even targeting units that are maneuvering against him. TBH in situations like this i'm not even sure how he's observing these areas...

CMNormandy2011-07-1016-46-42-57.jpg

Whats to stop human players from putting TRPs in your "safe" attack zones? IMO there should at least be some portion of the map that is deemed "safe" or a "retreat" zone of absolutely no strategic value where units cannot fire out of or be harmed. It seems ridiculous that something like this is necessary. But with artillery being much more devastating and accurate than in CM 1... It seems appropriate. Is anyone else not experiencing this constantly. There's rarely a map where the AI doesn't at least attempt to pull this BS off and TBH I've just about had it.

It may depend on what kind of plan the scenario designer planned for the AI. I can think of at least one designer who is evil enough to tell the AI to do that. Possibly the AI just does it naturally unless it is ordered to do something else. I vote for evil designers myself though.

I haven't had it bombard the deployment areas themselves yet, but I've had it shell likely avenues of advance out of them. One time it caught me on a first turn move. Killed 4 WIA 7 and destroyed the morale of a whole platoon.

Michael

With the exception of QBs, in the large majority of cases I would bet money on the AI doing it by itself on units within LOS. There's also the possibility that the AI was at aiming troops more forward, and the barrage incorrectly landed elsewhere. The chance of that happening should be much lower in v1.01

For the most part the AI is given limited artillery assets. The scenario author might place multiple opening bombardment squares and allow the AI pick one at random to shell. So it becomes the luck of the draw. Is he going to shell the intersection ahead of you or your setup area, or your left flank? Of course if the AI is given LOTS of artillery assets it may decide to shell all three! :D