mortar ammo for attached 81 mm mortar teams

On map mortar teams can be resupplied via ammo bearers, and IIRC from another thread, Mortar halftracks carry extra ammo.

You have to be pretty vigilant about on map mortars, as you found out they can go dry pretty quickly if left unchecked.

One way to slow them down is use the target light command (again, info from another thread).

Off-map mortars work as other Arty. In campaigns, often times arty is shared with other formations in your AO. The briefings aren't always good about letting you know. This leaves you slinging shells that you need in the next mission.

the german 81mm mortar teams i attached to a platoon run out of ammo in 2 minutes how can the ai resupply them. are there any vehicles with mortar ammo i can park next to them?

Only vehicles from mortar platoons that you get from larger formations. You can't buy 'single vehicles' that have mortar ammo in them, in the QB purchase screen. Any vehicles that do have mortar ammo would have to be in the same platoon or section to automatically share their ammo with the mortars. But the mortar team (or their assigned ammo bearers (if any) can always mount the vehicle and "Acquire" shells.

the german 81mm mortar teams i attached to a platoon run out of ammo in 2 minutes how can the ai resupply them. are there any vehicles with mortar ammo i can park next to them?

Permanent, if this is for the amazing looking Dog Red, Easy Green scenario you're working on, then have a look at this thread on ammo stockpiles. It'll work for German mortars, infantry guns, AT guns, and small arms. Pretty much everything but vehicles.

Here is my follow up question though.

It appears that each mortar team has 100 rounds if you look at the artillery call in screen. But each ammo carrier only has 50 rounds and the mortar team itself only has 10, where is the other 40? Is the 100 rounds aggregate for all four mortars in the platoon? I get sacked out every time I try to figure this calculus out. Any sane answers greatly appreciated.

Here is my follow up question though.

It appears that each mortar team has 100 rounds if you look at the artillery call in screen. But each ammo carrier only has 50 rounds and the mortar team itself only has 10, where is the other 40? Is the 100 rounds aggregate for all four mortars in the platoon? I get sacked out every time I try to figure this calculus out. Any sane answers greatly appreciated.

The artillery screen (I think) factors in ammo that's shared from other units.

It's a little strange that if you want to buy motorized mortar team you can only find halftrack's from panzergrenadier battalion. No trucks for mortar teams - so if you buy Opel Blitz you get no extra ammo for them.

I believe I've seen German trucks in a scenario with mortar bombs in them; it was one of the VAARs. So I think they have to exist in the TO of some formation somewhere. Unless there's a way of adding ammo to vehicles in the scenario editor, which I don't think there is, or it was a beta thing that got ditched.

• 2 weeks later...