CMN AFVs hull & turret coordination

I find the synchronization/coordination of AFV drivers and gunners a bit too perfect in CMN. I´d rather like to see some noticeable delay between driver and gunner actions, i.e let the driver first turn the hull and then the gunner turn the turret, aim the gun. CMN AFVs behave much like modern (CMSF) ones, with all that computer hardware onboard.

I find the synchronization/coordination of AFV drivers and gunners a bit too perfect in CMN. I´d rather like to see some noticeable delay between driver and gunner actions, i.e let the driver first turn the hull and then the gunner turn the turret, aim the gun. CMN AFVs behave much like modern (CMSF) ones, with all that computer hardware onboard.

i think theres quite a bit of CMSF brought over that isnt fitting for a WWII game (pinpoint airstrikes, some infantry behaviour, tanks accuracy on the move, tanks not stopping to fire... stuff like that).

overall it kinda feels like BF made CMSF and then just tacked a WWII setting over that and released it as CM:BN :/

overall it kinda feels like BF made CMSF and then just tacked a WWII setting over that and released it as CM:BN :/

I think that overstates the matter, but yes, there are some things that need to be made more appropriate for the era, and tanks stopping to fire stands out.

Michael

The perfect synchronisation as is it now, should be possible only for Elite units, each step down from Elite should be less perfect in all actions - like target detection, time delay between target detection and target engage (now the turret starts to rotate at max speed the same milisecond as the commander detects the target, tanks act like terminators...), time spend on aiming ect...

I was thinking exactly the opposite. If you have a turret turned left to engage a target while the tank was moving, and you let the tank stop, it rotates the hull of the tank to point at your designated target. First it turns the hull a bit (pulling the turret off-target) then it realigns the turret (and sometimes gets a shot off, briefly) then it turns the hull a little more, kicking the gun out-of-line again, and so on, so you don't get any fire out of the turret while the tank is turning to face the target. Can be a killer. And this is with Shermans with fast turrets. It doesn't seem like too big an ask to have the gunner rotate his turret to keep the sights on target while the driver is doing his best to heave the hull round. Doesn't need any computers except the mark one cerebellum.

I agree with the odd tank behavior.What stands out to me is when a tanks spots another tank or infantry and the turret is not pointed at the target.Then the gun and the turret quickly point at the enemy tank and instantaneously fire off a kill shot.Once you turn the turret towards the enemy, Im guessing you would need at least a 3-5 second period to get the proper elevation angle.From a graphical standpoit this does not occur and looks realy strange.Maybe this is all going on under the hood, but it does not appear that way on the screen.

Agreed. A little more humanity in the process would be nice, not necessarily crucial. It is not at all unusual for a tank to rotate, elevate simultaneously then lick a shot the very same moment it arrives in place. No pause to confirm, no adjustments, just whirr-vzzzt-kaboom! Again and again and again I see it, and it feels phony.

Agreed. A little more humanity in the process would be nice, not necessarily crucial. It is not at all unusual for a tank to rotate, elevate simultaneously then lick a shot the very same moment it arrives in place. No pause to confirm, no adjustments, just whirr-vzzzt-kaboom! Again and again and again I see it, and it feels phony.

It seems like Shermans should be really fast in getting the gun on target. The commander gives the range and angle and the gunner already has the target in his periscope. Other tanks should be somewhat slower to get the gun onto a new target. Around 30 seconds for a Panther, for example, just for the gunner to get his sight on the target in the non-ergonomic environment of the Panther.

This is a funny turn of the thread. Before we go further down this road, could we please post the turret rotatation rates - as they actually were - not as they were erroneously reported by early wartime intel.

I think that would be interesting to some posters. :)

This is a funny turn of the thread. Before we go further down this road, could we please post the turret rotatation rates - as they actually were - not as they were erroneously reported by early wartime intel.

I think that would be interesting to some posters. :)

Well, if we include the human element, the Panther commander also has to let the driver know to rev up the engine to get the turret hydraulics pumped up to turn the turret. So add 20 seconds for that for an average crew and the commander may usually skip that step and use the idle speed travers. So the Average Panther, turning say 60 degrees at idle (no order to the driver) would get on target in say 15 +30 seconds or around 45 seconds. With better crew quality that would go to say 20 seconds and with worse 60 seconds (including orders to the driver). Shermans would be about 5-55 seconds faster (no need to say anything to the driver and the gunner can already see the target area).

Well, if we include the human element, the Panther commander also has to let the driver know to rev up the engine to get the turret hydraulics pumped up to turn the turret. So add 20 seconds for that for an average crew and the commander may usually skip that step and use the idle speed travers. So the Average Panther, turning say 60 degrees at idle (no order to the driver) would get on target in say 15 +30 seconds or around 45 seconds. With better crew quality that would go to say 20 seconds and with worse 60 seconds (including orders to the driver). Shermans would be about 5-55 seconds faster (no need to say anything to the driver and the gunner can already see the target area).

Good point. Is this modeled in CMBN based on crew experience. Recruit, veteran, etc?