PBEMhelper beta: testers required

I got bored and decided to write a small PBEMhelper. It's still rough around the edges, and therefore I would like to get some feedback.

What does it do (or supposed to do):

- It automatically fetches ".ema" sent to your gmail account and moves it to the right folder.

- It automatically send ".ema" files in the Outgoing Email folder to the correct opponents.

How does it work:

- It is an interactive program using the command line (very old school), so sometimes you will have to type stuff in it

- You run it by either clicking on GetTurns.bat or SendTurns.bat (alternatively you can use the command line and use input argument "1" to get turns and input argument "2" to send turns)

- When running it for the first time, it will ask for the path to your CMBN installation

- It will detect ".ema" files and ask you for the correct email addresses of your opponents and the Combat Mission game (for now only CMBN, but it will still ask you)

- The files detected are either in the incoming/outgoing folder or the folder where the program is

- You double click the GetTurns.bat to get turns from your gmail

- You double click the SendTurns.bat to send turns

What you need

- The zip file

- Being able to run .jar files (from java), this should be standard if you have Java installed (this is one the things I would like to find out)

LIMITATIONS:

- Probably needs some more exception handling, all inputs therefore have to be correct (you can correct wrong inputs in the .txt it generates)

- For now ONLY WORKS WITH GMAIL (you can always make one, I believe it is still free)

- Probably a bunch of bugs, although it works on my PC

I wrote this in my spare time and I tried not to break stuff, but I cannot 100% guarantee your pc will survive using this program, so use it at your own (limited) risk.

If it proves to be useful, I will upload it to the repository.

So get it here:

http://ubuntuone.com/p/10Xf/

If you try it, please post your feedback in this thread.

Nice one Stikkypixie!

I'm trying it out now. A couple of questions:

1) I presume it works for CMSF just a easily as CMBN... right?

2) One of the stages is taking a long time: "getting all mails from ____@gmail.com". Would it be correct to say that this step would be a lot shorter if you archived your gmail as much as possible?

I ask this because I haven't archived my gmail for years! So, now I guess it has to sort through 5000 odd e-mails dating back years, just looking for those from my PBEM opponent...

Anyway, I'll let it run for a while longer.

Cheers

Nice one Stikkypixie!

I'm trying it out now. A couple of questions:

1) I presume it works for CMSF just a easily as CMBN... right?

2) One of the stages is taking a long time: "getting all mails from ____@gmail.com". Would it be correct to say that this step would be a lot shorter if you archived your gmail as much as possible?

I ask this because I haven't archived my gmail for years! So, now I guess it has to sort through 5000 odd e-mails dating back years, just looking for those from my PBEM opponent...

Anyway, I'll let it run for a while longer.

Cheers

The program loops over all the mails in your inbox, so I believe that would take a long time :). If I figure out how to read from other folders from the mail server, I will recommend people to create a separate PBEM folder which should make things faster.

I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

Can we work on it together? I'm not interested in collecting from gmail, I'm more interested in dropbox integration...

GaJ

If you're using java, sure :). The plan is to move from gmail to other mail services as well where you have to fill in your mail servers. But I still reading into that, send me an email.

OK, I've created a Gmail label CMBNPBEM, which gives me the following URL:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/CMBNPBEM

Can this be used to prime the spider?

I'll see what I can do tonight. Maybe things can be made a bit faster. Searching mails would be faster if all PBEM mails were grouped in a separate PBEM folder I think. Right now the code is not set up to do that.

It could also be that only filtering on the subject of the mails will be faster than filtering on the attachment name (although I doubt this).

Will see how it goes.

I tested it, but... I'm not sure what it did, if anything? I think it tried to send my turns out, but I'm not sure if it succeeded in doing so.

Did you try running them in a cmd window to see what happened? I suspect it failed like mine - see stikkypixie's response.

If it sent them there would be a mail in your gmail conversation - snezpah?

Did you try running them in a cmd window to see what happened? I suspect it failed like mine - see stikkypixie's response.

If it sent them there would be a mail in your gmail conversation - snezpah?

No, I launched the send bat and there was no failure, presumably because I have my Java properly set up. It asked for the game folder and my Gmail account, and then recognized the PBEM games in there and asked me to name them, after it asked if I wanted to send my PBEM files. I said yes, and it just... well, I don't know what it did. Maybe it tried to send them, maybe it just quit.

I changed the code a bit. Apparently I made a small mistake and the program read the content of all the mails even when it was not necessary.

IMPORTANT: I made changes so that the program will not only search for games with the "CM_PBEM" label/tag. Exact wording is important.

I believe this should make things a bit faster.

I will now look to change the names of the attachments.

Can you guys give some usability feedback? Are the prompt clear and simple to follow?

Get the new version here (with source code):

http://ubuntuone.com/p/10g0/

No, I launched the send bat and there was no failure, presumably because I have my Java properly set up. It asked for the game folder and my Gmail account, and then recognized the PBEM games in there and asked me to name them, after it asked if I wanted to send my PBEM files. I said yes, and it just... well, I don't know what it did. Maybe it tried to send them, maybe it just quit.

That's strange. After inputting your username and password the program should just start to send mails and not ask anything any more. Can you post a screenshot/copy the text of what happened?

I noticed that the code always download old emails as well. I'll try to fix that. In the meanwhile it's best to delete old turn emails ;).

[EDIT] I think I fixed that: get the latest version here:

http://ubuntuone.com/p/10sP/

Remember that only emails labeled with CM_PBEM will be looked at. So add this label to your PBEM mails.

If you're trying it out, please post feedback on speed/usability, etc...