More than one way to contour a map....

Hah ahah! You managed to got overlay function for map editor. :)

It's seems to work just nice. Maybe I try to copy your invention (at work there should be one projector laying unused).

Hmmm.. I wonder is there 3rd party programs that could make CM:N windows transparent...

Go to this link

http://cthruview.sourceforge.net/#installation

Groovy little program that lets you place an "always on top" image on your screen and make it transparent. So you could open the editor underneath and Bob's your uncle

Looks like a good tool, but what do I/we need to download to get the program to run? Not a java expert :)

A projector borrowed from work used to superimpose an IGN map with a perfectly matched grid over the game map.

That is a feature I would like to see provided in the map editor. Surely it could be done better, simpler than projectors or third party apps.

Not saying your method is bad it looks fantastic compared to what we have. Given that I spent a couple of hours this morning very slowly drawing contour lines and <alt><tab> flipping back and forth I would take a projector or a third party app right now. I'm just saying given how much time must be collectively spent making game maps from topo maps I don't think there would be any feature that would be worth more bang for the programming buck than image overlay in the map. After all they could support zooming on the map -> zooms the overlay, scrolling the map -> scrolls the overlay. All other methods could not offer that.

It took me about 8 hours to trace all the 5m contour lines, water traces and major settlements and landmarks on a 2 x 3 km area around Le Meauffe using this method. One thing to check carefully is that the projector image dimensions match the ones on your laptop -- otherwise the map will be "stretched" horizontally and the E-W distances will be off.

I will take a look at that "transparency" app later.

This sounds very promising! Yes, I know you can run the CMBN editor (not the game) in a window -- I've already done that and ALT-TABBED back and forth between the editor and Google earth to check details in certain areas of my battlefield. What's the best way to make sure you've got the editor window (transparent, on top) and your reference image (opaque, on bottom) the same exact size?

This sounds very promising! Yes, I know you can run the CMBN editor (not the game) in a window -- I've already done that and ALT-TABBED back and forth between the editor and Google earth to check details in certain areas of my battlefield. What's the best way to make sure you've got the editor window (transparent, on top) and your reference image (opaque, on bottom) the same exact size?

What he said.

Cthru doesnt work in CM. Or it might work if we get CM work in window mode. Is it possible to open CM in windows?

I have got it to work with duel monitors NVidia 460x, where I put the Cthru image on one, open CM on the other and then slide the Cthru image back on top of CM, though it is touchy as I have had it lock up CM a few times... you cant scroll the CM screen, or mouse over to the other monitor... so IMO after all my excitement, I will have to go back to layered .jpgs on one screen with CM editor on the other... :(

This sounds very promising! Yes, I know you can run the CMBN editor (not the game) in a window -- I've already done that and ALT-TABBED back and forth between the editor and Google earth to check details in certain areas of my battlefield.

How do you do that? I have only ever had the editor run full screen just like the game. How did you get it to run in a window? I have been <alt><tab>ing between the full screen editor and my topo map.