Leaders, something new to consider

Here’s a new idea to consider.

Give leaders with a +1, or +2 rating the ability to issues a strict order timer that last for 60 secs. This strict order can only be used once(+1) or twice(+2) during the mission and when under the timer, the unit follows its orders to the letter with no self preservation checks. To qualify the unit receiving the strict order timer must be in the chain of command of the ordering HQ and must remain in C2 with the ordering HQ during the entire timer period. To issue the strict order timer the HQ/Leader moves into C2 with the unit to receive the order. The player presses the strict order button and targets the receiving unit.

Using this strict order timer an important leader can possibly effect the out come of a battle by being in the right place at the right time.

I realize a new command like this is not possible for this release of the game but might be considered for the future.

Would anyone else like to see key leaders play a more pivotal role on the Cm battle field?

its an ok idea, but that just takes away from the realism of the game. i like it the way it is. + if they did that they would all die. they follow self preservation behaviour to... well.... preserve themselves. occasionaly this backfires. i think its a nice idea for a less realistic game.

Something like this would only last for a minute at most and would be a way of simulating leaders inspiring their troops to do things they wouldn't ordinary do. A good example is this citation by Lt. Col Robert Cole of the 3/502 PIR 101xx

Ltcol_cole_moh_502.jpg

Medal of Honor citation

For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his own life, above and beyond the call of duty on 11 June 1944, in France. Lt. Col. Cole was personally leading his battalion in forcing the last 4 bridges on the road to Carentan when his entire unit was suddenly pinned to the ground by intense and withering enemy rifle, machinegun, mortar, and artillery fire placed upon them from well-prepared and heavily fortified positions within 150 yards of the foremost elements. After the devastating and unceasing enemy fire had for over 1 hour prevented any move and inflicted numerous casualties, Lt. Col. Cole, observing this almost hopeless situation, courageously issued orders to assault the enemy positions with fixed bayonets. With utter disregard for his own safety and completely ignoring the enemy fire, he rose to his feet in front of his battalion and with drawn pistol shouted to his men to follow him in the assault. Catching up a fallen man's rifle and bayonet, he charged on and led the remnants of his battalion across the bullet-swept open ground and into the enemy position. His heroic and valiant action in so inspiring his men resulted in the complete establishment of our bridgehead across the Douve River. The cool fearlessness, personal bravery, and outstanding leadership displayed by Lieutenant Colonel Cole reflect great credit upon himself and are worthy of the highest praise in the military service.

It fails the basic realism test, and thus will never be considered.

I'm not sure I understand why everyone thinks its not realistic. I gave an example of a real life leader that inspired his troops to ignore self preservation. There are many, many more real life examples of this happening in every war.

Since the effect would only last for 1 - Minute and then could not be used again. How would this be unrealistic?

I'm not sure I understand why everyone thinks its not realistic. I gave an example of a real life leader that inspired his troops to ignore self preservation. There are many, many more real life examples of this happening in every war.

Since the effect would only last for 1 - Minute and then could not be used again. How would this be unrealistic?

In real life you never know which leader will be that kind of inspiring. Your idea basically makes it a certainty that a certain leader will be able to do that. If it happen rarely and randomly maybe, but even in real life no leader will be able to inspire his men to run over a minefield or right into a line of MG42s. Again something that is not taken into account if your idea is implemented.

Because real life doesn't work that way on demand. It's just as likely that someone, not willing to move forward at all, could have told that guy where to shove it, and I'm sure that happened plenty of times as well. Having a "unit ability" like this goes against one of the core concepts of the game, which is the fuzziness of combat results. Can you point to *any* game features that work like this? There's a reason there aren't any, because they allow the player to skip the simulation by bypassing the morale model.

Besides, if those infantry were well and truly broken, they wouldn't have followed him. Liken it to a player giving the move out orders into a fire zone with a leader in front to relatively well-order troops.

I'm sure this was not going through his head at the time: "I'd better wait to use my Rallying Cry ability, I only get to use it once today and I need to make the most of it! ;)

I personally agree with the other posts that this just doesn't pass the realism test and feels too much like a "power up" kind of feature. I prefer utilizing my leaders in the current C2 structure to help motivate and influence the rest of my teams or if the leader is of low enough rank and placement in the C2 structure to actually move them to the critical point of combat- lead from the front soldier!