Map Preview in QBs-Possible Bug

This issue i encountered during the setup phase of a pbem game. My opponent-when he started the setup-set the 'Battle Type' param. to random.I'm playing with the allies,he's taken the side of the invading huns.Now,comes the interesting part :)

His turn safely arrives in my inbox,i open it,i'm prompted to input a password then i'm taken to the screen from where one purchases his troops.I click on 'map preview' and what i see is what you all can see in the first pic.

Naturally,i assumed-because no info is provided at this stage [the briefing button doesn't show any info. during the map preview]-that i'll be the brave defender. After all the manual states:

"The Setup Zones are visible as colored areas (in shades of red for the Axis player,

and shades of blue for the Allied player) overlaid on the terrain".I'm playing with the allies,so i should have the blue setup zone,right?Wrong!My designated setup zone-in the next turn-in which i can actually place my units is the one from the second pic.Needless to say i wasn't exactly thrilled at the thought of having to attack with mines,bunkers and AT guns.

So,my question is: am i missing something here,or this is a bug and while i previewed the map i was shown the wrong setup zone?Second,is there a way to tell what the battle params are during the purchase phase?Unless i'm missing the obvious the info is displayed just when the map+the units are first presented but not before-not even when clicking the 'Map Preview' button.And this means the player is pretty much left in the dark as he has no way to determine if the battle type is an attack/defence not to mention if it's a probe/attack/assault at the crucial point when he's purchasing units.

btw,if it's of any help the map is 'Probe Med Hills QB-055.btt'.

Thanks,

Raz.

9ee09b9066CM Normandy 2011-06-07 12-14-00-96.jpg

c69431e27eCM Normandy 2011-06-07 12-23-50-57.jpg

Thanks.Do you happen to know if this affects only certain maps or all attack/defense maps are flawed?

I can't be certain, but I was making successive QBs with the same setup (Ami Attack) and random maps, and it seemed (from a sample of about 5) to be alternating between showing me the attacker's setup zone and the defender's in the preview. So it could either be a problem with the previewer or with the maps' settings; couldn't really tell.

• 1 month later...

Its not just the preview thats the problem, the comp set him to be the defender and put him in the attacker zone. I am having the same problem in a probe PBEM, but when I input the same parameters for a one player game it works fine, is this a bug?

On another note, considering how robust and complex this game is it would be nice to see a few simple categories to help find information faster.

Yup - I've experienced this preview issue too. Foolishly I tried to use the information to my advantage in a H2H game, and then the setup zones moved. Oh well - serves me right.

That said - there is a definite problem with some of the maps.

And the reason it happens was one for a Sherlock Holmes Case. Thanks to all of you who took the time to post the bug and provided save files and pics. The Beta testers really did a great job digging into this one. It could serve as a text book for fan base, beta tester, and company problem solving.