1. Recon mission of Panzer Lehr campaign

All of my teams get shot before reconing enemy positions. I only see the tracers somewhere from the bocage...

I tried:

a) hunt

B) hunt + hide

c) slow

d) slow + hide

e) move

f) move + hide

g) different direction

Any hints or tips?

-->Overall i ve the feeling that the player is fighting more against the engine and not against the enemy :(

-->eg: the pathfinding of the vehicles is often"§$%&/ !!

--> infantry isn't using terrain unless you micromanage every detail (move order)

--> i've played every CM-title from the beginning of the series. I don't see any improvements in the engine (ai and stuff) besides better graphics. Sorry, i'm a bit frustrated..

**Spoiler**

I tried getting to the bocage line from within the field using move and for the last 2 action spots slow, combined with a very short cover arc(like 4m), so i had eyes on the crossroad,

then i moved the armored cars along the road to the crossroad to try drawing fire. It worked...found the at gun and the mg position . Afterwards i decided my recon teams had seen enough and withdrew.

Dont move along the road with infantry, dont sprint to the bocage line, dont get your infantry into a firefight with the enemy, they have more firepower and better positions.

Drescher - all well and good for getting the points and a good way of getting through it but getting the Amis to fire on you goes against the mission objectives as expressed in the scenario description ie don't alert them to your presence or get fired upon. I don't know in that case if you can actually achieve the scenario conditions without getting the Amis to fire on you though you can get 350 points by scouting the 4 victory areas then run away I guess. Speedy - did you actually spot any Amis just by sitting there and listening?

it took me two tries but this is how I did it.

1. I didn't disembark anyone

2. I saw the little fences on the right and left side of the road, that is where you tell your armored cars to drive through.

3. Move your armored cars/half tracks to the green things and then reverse and move back to the exit. You will see the green things disappear as you tag them.

4. When mounting the little mrs, some barking is in order

5. William Shatner is my hero

Speedy - did you actually spot any Amis just by sitting there and listening?

Yes no absolute id's obviously but lots of question marks along the bocage - it took about 20 mins+ but one turn went from nothing spotted to about 10 - 15 spotted somethings.

This was on Elite difficulty.

Spoilers:

(Iron difficulty) IIRC I simply used the infantry with Hunt orders upto within 30m from area objectives, then slow. Parked said units for a few minutes and not a single shot was heard. I also gave a short cover arc in case I spotted first to prevent firefight.

I then also moved a couple of vehicles to said spots and nothing happened.

I then tried to go and find more about the defense emplacements as requested by the scenario, but whenever I tried crossings fire erupted from the amy side across the bocage. I used area fire from my vehicles and supressed a couple areas. I even managed to see an AT gun placed right behind the bocage in one of the corners at the main crossing, and decided to head back and exit.

The debriefing showed a minor german victory and did not stated anything about the AT gun detected (?).

spoiler alert

I used a couple of the recon squads and crossed the road on the right side of the map (if you're facing the american lines from your own)

On both the left and ride sides of the road splitting the Ami lines in half theres a large field bounded by hedgrows. My Aufklarung crossed the road, and set up position on the hedgerow on the right side of the large field to the right side of the road. (The one before the farm buildings..) After a few minutes Ami troops moving in to occupy the road front lines and some troops moving out were spotted. One split squad of troops moving out came to within a few meters of my troops so they were ambushed and killed. Fire was exchanged for a few minutes before I pulled my troops out and pulled back.

Even if you blunder into the lines and get massacred in this mission it does serve its recon purpose - if you plot pre planned artillery fire in the next mission on the discovered American front lines its easy to punch through the dazed remnants..