Never ending Ammo

My light machinegunner ran his ammo down to 20 rounds, but as soon as he reaches zero it immediately refills to 20 rounds again. He never seems to run out. Nearby troops don't seem to be sharing it - so I just wanted to know if this is normal? Does ammo ever run out?

Definitely ammo sharing, though I'm not sure of your particular circumstances. The way the system works is the units only take what they need when they need it, as opposed to two units permanently dividing their ammo up between each other.

Ammo is finite in CMx2, unlike CMx1's "there's always a little more ammo, even after 2 hours of fighting on empty".

Steve

And the ammo is definitely not coming from that unit 25 meters away?

I've never actually tested the range limit of ammo sharing...

But if the ammo is truly not coming from any unit nearby, then you may well have found yourself a bug...

Other random thought: Are there any friendly casualties in the same action spot as the MG? I've never heard of this, I suppose it's possible that BFC has added some sort of function that allows soldiers to pull ammo off nearby WIA (without full-out buddy-aid).

Dunno about this. If my failing memory can be relied upon, I seem to recall that even from CMBO no infantry unit ever ran totally out of ammo, wasn't there something whereby although they could never attack again they always had a few rounds for self-defence? Perhaps what you are seeing is just a modern version of that, the new interface showing precise round numbers as it does. 20 rounds for a LMG being about 4 bursts, it is pretty desperate state.

CMBO's never ending ammo is not something that exists in CM:SF. Ammo is explicit down to individual rounds.

Steve

Ok, Steve, thanks for pointing out that my thought was erroneous but you could have given some clue in answer to the OPs question while you were here.