limited budget

i ran into a big problem while researching video cards. i discovered that my dell 4600 only has a 250w psu. ive heard that you can only put a dell psu into a dell and not a third party psu. is their any truth to this? if not, can anyone reccomend a psu that may fit my pc, or are they usually about the same size?

Originally posted by f-bomb:

i ran into a big problem while researching video cards. i discovered that my dell 4600 only has a 250w psu. ive heard that you can only put a dell psu into a dell and not a third party psu. is their any truth to this? if not, can anyone reccomend a psu that may fit my pc, or are they usually about the same size?

Not sure about the Dell issue, but all the psu's I've used have been pretty much the same size (except my current one, but that's because it's part of the liquid cooling system I use now).

Originally posted by f-bomb:

A 250 Watts PSU get you nowhere.

It is not generally true that Dell PSUs are not compatible. Dell resells a gazillion of manufacturers all of which might or might not decide to go nonstandard PSUs based on Dell's space requirements.

Actually there are some Dell power supplies that are not pin-out compatible with standard power supplies. That means a specific model number (from Dell or another supplier) has to be used with the motherboard to match the pin-out. Dell often uses motherboards OEM'd from Intel in most of their computers. I'm not sure how often Dell utilizes proprietary pin-outs, but I have personally seen a Dimension 4100 use what appeared to be a standard ATX power supply, but with a different pin-out. There are manufacturers who sell power supplies customized for the proprietary Dell models, but they cost a bit more than a standard power supply would.

According to the Dell Dimension 4600 (with videocard) Service Manual the 20-pin ATX power connector is standard and not proprietary when compared to a standard ATX power diagram. So upgrading with a 'normal' power supply should work fine. Call Dell Tech Support with your 'service tag' to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...