Target lines missing

One squad can now fire at multiple targets (I believe). Wouldn't it be too cluttered if every unit had multiple red arrows going from them?

Generally, if I click on a unit and they can see the enemy and they are firing, it is pretty easy to tell who they are firing at. This is on elite though were units spots are pretty low.

There's no 'show all target lines' like there is for 'show movement paths', AFAIK. You have to click through each unit to see where you've told it to fire. If they're firing due to their own reaction to the enemy, rather than due to an explicit command, the only way is to watch them and see what they're pointing at.

I have to say I miss the target lines too. But not so much the lines showing who my guys are firing at but more so the lines showing who's firing at me. Is there any way to figure this out?

The tracer lines help but are so quick they're hard to follow.

Fog of War.

It's been a long time since I played any CM1, and I've not really missed the show all targets option too much in CMSF or CMA having got used to this functionality, but that doesn't mean I'd not like to see them return as an option in the future.

I'm all for more options - I read an interesting idea in a post earlier today about having different coloured lines to represent directed fire by the player versus AI-controlled fire on targets your unit could see but had not been directly ordered to fire on (as one unit can engage several enemy units simultaneously in CM2).

I think this is a great idea, which if toggle-able would not necessarily clutter up the screen too much, especially if the AI non-human-directly-controlled-targeting lines were fainter than those given direct targeting orders (or some similar work around).

However, this information is currently available to the player by selecting the unit and seeing which enemy icons light up - this then gives you an idea of who you can see and therefore who your troops may be firing at. Coloured lines may make this a bit easier in the 'info at a glance' sense though.

The main reason I'd like a toggle switch for show all targeted fire is because I'm playing scenarios over several days - I can forget who was doing what, so being able to tell at a glance that I'd set up one of my BAR teams to area fire one corner of the bocage where I suspected an enemy MG team was hiding right at the start of the session, rather than after 5 turns when I suddenly wondered where that gunfire was coming from during the replay! Lots of ammo was used up, and it turns out the MG team had long since retreated - seeing the target line without having to select that specific unit would have been handy. It's not like it made any material difference to the outcome of the game, but it would have been handy.

As for seeing who is targeting my troops, personally I'm less worried about seeing this information presented, but hey, if it's toggle-able, then why not?

My desire for seeing the target lines of incoming fire is primarily to determine where the shot came from, not necessarily what type of unit shot it. I was playing yesterday and had a tank rolling down a road. All of a sudden the text came up saying turret hit or whatever. I scanned the map and watched several replays but never could tell where the shot came from. Was it something right next to me or far off? In which direction? And where did I need to move to for cover? I understand FOW and not always knowing what is shooting. But I would at least like to know from what direction it came.

But either way I'm happy with the game.

My desire for seeing the target lines of incoming fire is primarily to determine where the shot came from, not necessarily what type of unit shot it. I was playing yesterday and had a tank rolling down a road. All of a sudden the text came up saying turret hit or whatever. I scanned the map and watched several replays but never could tell where the shot came from. Was it something right next to me or far off? In which direction? And where did I need to move to for cover? I understand FOW and not always knowing what is shooting. But I would at least like to know from what direction it came.

But either way I'm happy with the game.

That is an intended feature of the game. I don't imagine it's going to change. FoW is one of the things that's been worked on very hard in the CMx2 line, and even on the easiest setting, if you can't see the tracers you will have no idea from where the incoming is coming in. I would believe that you, the player, see more tracer when the units on the ground start to get their own idea of rough direction, and that it scales as 'spottedness' does, until you get to an '?' icon then the unit type.

The easiest setting already has 'borg' spotting a la CMx1.

the first few times I played CMSF after CMBB+AK I missed those lines. a Few scenarios later I forgot about them until you mentioned them. And now I don't even want them :)

Honestly, I only find myself directing fire at specific targets on rare occasions, so no need for them. I didn't play CMSF but really didn't even notice that they were missing since CMx1. The AI does a fine job of engaging the proper targets.

As far as seeing who's shooting at my guys, I actually love that I can't anymore. Some may chafe at the "FOW" response, but I find the immersion much higher now that FOW is increased :)

I too, found after playing CM:SF and CM:A a while that I didn't miss the incoming Target lines, though in the begining it took some getting use to, like most changes...

Now I find myself getting 'worked up' as my troops take fire from the 'unknown', but I then think about how great it is when my boyz are laying fire on my H2H opponent (who I hope gets that pissed off feeling) :)