Suppressing a defensive line.

So there are a lot of defended linear obstacles to clear in this game :) One approach (the one I'm starting off with) to fighting through them (cos you surely can't go around 'em; they're everywhere!) is to suppress the entire hedgerow, since I can't be sure there aren't Jerries lying doggo behind, waiting to pop up and nail my dogfaces as they scuttle across the open ground. As I can't see any targets, I have to area fire. If I keep a squad intact, I get to suppress one point, whereas if I split them into teams, I get some suppression on more points per squad and can bring their firepower together once I get something behind the hedge to twitch and show itself.

Is this an unnecessary process? Does a full squad spread its area fire over a wider frontage than a team?

Area fire is always spread around the whole action point from a single unit, and yes, splitting into fire teams is a good way to get more target orders.

When a unit fires independently - ie driven by the tac AI, individual soldiers will fire at different targets when they present themselves. I can be that some soldiers of a unit have LOS/LOF to one target and not to another, and other soldiers in the same team the other way around.

Good question - I know there have been tweaks to area fire several times in CMSF over the years so that a wider are is covered within the targeted 8x8 action spot. I don't know if this tweaking has allowed the area fire to 'spread' into adjacent action spots though.

I'm stuttering through the Bocage scenario right now, and I have 2 squads and an LMG team firing at the whole frontage, one action spot each.

Ideally, I'd love the ability to set linear area fire orders in the same way that you can with artillery/mortars.

Ideally, I'd love the ability to set linear area fire orders in the same way that you can with artillery/mortars.

That would be very helpful, especially for tanks and machineguns. In rereading Doubler's discussion of 29th ID bocage tactics (essentially what's been included in the scenario briefing for Busting the Bocage) the single tank per field was supposed to lay suppressive fire along the entire facing hedgerow, something that is not easily achieved right now (in WEGO, at least).

In WEGO you can have a tank fire at an area for 20 seconds (pause and fire order) then give them a very short quick move order (1 meter or so) and have them shoot at a different area for 20 seconds then a short/quick move to a third area and shoot for 20 seconds. Or for the third order just give them a facing to scan the area for anything that wiggled. Works well but a bit of work. Isnt that what us WEGOers love though?

No joy trying to use pause and movement orders to break up smoke targets. I'd love an option similar to artillery to control the suppressive target fire: duration or number of shells; linear or area; type of shells; etc. Particularly since suppression is one of the key factors in this game, along with the arty.

No joy trying to use pause and movement orders to break up smoke targets. I'd love an option similar to artillery to control the suppressive target fire: duration or number of shells; linear or area; type of shells; etc. Particularly since suppression is one of the key factors in this game, along with the arty.

Try clicking on the ballons/circles at the end of each movement and order a pause/fire from that point.

Works good/lasts long time

Does enfilade fire work ?

That is to say if I place an MG to fire along the length of a linear object will it everything along the object be attacked ?

absolutely, and if you want to see a bunch of pixel truppen scatter like roaches when the lights come on nothing beats it. Pulled this off in the tutorial along a hedgerow.