Second Dumb Question

(since Baneman beat me to the first) In the demo, can I carry infantry on my tanks? I directed a squad to the nearest Shermie & hit the go button. All they did was run over & bid him a hearty farewell (it was then I noticed the waypoint icon/cursor turning red when I placed it over a tank).

Tank riding is like paratroopers or beach landings, it all happens either off-map or just before game start. :) BFC has made a laundry list of things that have to be accounted for before tank riding comes into the game. Coding appropriate behaviors for one. For instance, what is riding infantry supposed to do if the turret starts to rotate while moving? What do they do when a distant enemy is spotted? Should the tank ever gun fire with riders onboard? In other words, coding tank riding that people won't complain about is no small project.

To my knowledge, the western allies never (at least not in any significant manner) employed infantry riding on tanks directly into battle, unlike the Russians who did. Infantry tank riding was used to allow the infantry to keep up with the tanks in getting to the battle, especially in the British/Canadian forces which weren't flush with armoured personnel carriers of any sort.

To my knowledge, the western allies never (at least not in any significant manner) employed infantry riding on tanks directly into battle, unlike the Russians who did. Infantry tank riding was used to allow the infantry to keep up with the tanks in getting to the battle, especially in the British/Canadian forces which weren't flush with armoured personnel carriers of any sort.

Several US units did ride tanks during the breakout from Normandy, sometimes while in contact with the enemy, but it was hardly a standard tactic and was only feasible in special circumstances. It has not been excluded because it didn't ever happen in battle, it is simply far down the list below more important features.

Several US units did ride tanks during the breakout from Normandy, sometimes while in contact with the enemy, but it was hardly a standard tactic and was only feasible in special circumstances. It has not been excluded because it didn't ever happen in battle, it is simply far down the list below more important features.

Well I did qualify my "never" statement (not because I knew of such cases, but because I assumed that it must have happened a few times) :)

As for the Russians, it's been a few years since I read the books, but I think one of my Glantz books mentioned this to be true.

As long as it's in for ostfront I'll be happy.

I must have my T-34s running around with crack mechanized PPSh toting 7 man teams on their back! So many QB games in CMBB that bagged me a lot of points, destroying my opponents' entire rear echelon and all his support units hehe.

As far as coding, I'd just have the tacai make the infantry jump off the tank as soon as it comes under heavy fire or starts to engage an enemy target. If the tank happens to be moving along at 30kph just have a few of the guys be injured (either red injured or yellow) to simulate them jumping off and hurting themselves from not rolling properly.

... As far as coding, I'd just have the tacai make the infantry jump off the tank as soon as it comes under heavy fire or starts to engage an enemy target. If the tank happens to be moving along at 30kph just have a few of the guys be injured (either red injured or yellow) to simulate them jumping off and hurting themselves from not rolling properly.

Nothing is ever that easy I reckon

-crystal ball shows the complaints thread after the release of CM: Tank Riders on the Storm -

"My guys jumped off when an arty round landed 100m away !"

"My guys jumped off when the bow gunner fired a burst at a cow"

"My guys jumped off when the tank was only doing 5 mph and they all broke ankles"

"My guys are elite tank desant and shouldn't get injuries at all"

"My guys have rifles not SMG's so they should suffer more casualties 'cos they are heavier"

"My guys helmets are the wrong shape"

"The disks are still too round"

i do know gi's used tanks as taxis to head down the road, but not sure they went in to battle riding on them. i remember dad saying "you'd be surprised how many guys can fit on a tank to avoid walking". lol..

I think this link illustrates that quite well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_desant

I just love the optimistic hiding behind the turret of the Russian picture !