What about some routing ?

Now im really confused...

Well the helpful answers are all over the place, aren't they. I'm going to stick to CMBN manual explanation (it does NOT describe the CMSF exclamation mark/disappearing act) and feel comfortable in stating that (like the manual) routing and surrendering are two distinct actions in the game. Like my fellow Beta testers, I've played a fair amount of QB's. With my talent as tactician, I've seen more than a few routs and an embarrassing amount of surrendering. Why not we both settle for "something to be watching for" and allow some playing time to sink in. Then we can all better judge If/what changes should be made.

Troops behind a wall have cover and reasonably understand that running away from three tanks is certain death... So panic-pinned seems fair, yes? Or am I missing your point?

Troops behind a wall have cover and reasonably understand that running away from three tanks is certain death... So panic-pinned seems fair, yes? Or am I missing your point?

But what about troops running out of buildings from 2 or 3 HE shells (what actually happened during my playthrough) ?

Such a small wall may give good cover against small arms...but 4 tanks have enough HE ammunition to destroy the hole wall 3 times...

But what about troops running out of buildings from 2 or 3 HE shells (what actually happened during my playthrough) ?

Such a small wall may give good cover against small arms...but 4 tanks have enough HE ammunition to destroy the hole wall 3 times...

So, what would _you_ do?

I think crouching in the corner and praying that they will forget you is an option.

So, what would _you_ do?

I recall an old Clint Eastwood movie where he hid behind a porcelain toilet to avoid incoming fire. :)

I mentioned a few days ago that with all these big-bullet guns in the game houses aren't really the best thing to hide in anymore. A modern M4 carbine or AKM round might bounce off the walls in CMSF, an M1 Garand round is another matter.

I recall an old Clint Eastwood movie where he hid behind a porcelain toilet to avoid incoming fire. :)

I mentioned a few days ago that with all these big-bullet guns in the game houses aren't really the best thing to hide in anymore. A modern M4 carbine or AKM round might bounce off the walls in CMSF, an M1 Garand round is another matter.

Now we have the mighty low stone-wall ingame anyway...using solid buildings as cover is for noobs. ;)

Ok, maybe you can blame me a bit for this thread.

I played a other wargame many hours the last few weeks were you would not expect a 795th Ost Battalion to put up a strong defense against armoured units...

I had a greek battalion routing infront of a german tank coy so i may expected the same from the bad-ass 795th. :D

I think the old option, routing = disappearing, is good when no enemy unit is near, while surrendering is a nice option when enemy troops are near. (unless you are wearing a black uniform).

Exactly, the old way you could have completely surrounded units vapourising into the ether, when really they should be streaming out with their hands up, with all the problems taking prisoners entails.