Crew/Bail out Questions

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The absolute worst thing you could do at the NTC while on rotation was to lose/misplace your rifle, gps, night gear or MILES gear. They'd get the whole freakin Squadron at their looking for your lost sh!t and guys would wish they'd gotten lost instead of their gear. Man I still remember forming up a line to literally comb the fn desert. :(

So yes, you were held accountable for your trash and when you ETS's you turned in all your stuff as well, although having a good supply SGT was always nice ;)

Yup.

I had to sign for my Bradley in GW1.

Good thing I didn't lose it. I'd still be making payments!

:D

It should be made clear that losing gear and combat attrition are two different things.

Discarded items in a firefight is one thing. Being a knucklehead has consequenses.

there's a good reason gi's are responsible for their gear. i was at a football game once. some idiots lifted some cs gas from ft hood and decided to throw the canasters into the stands. i can vouch for the fact that it burns... alot. we were damn lucky noone was trampled getting out. they really need to keep track of their stuff...

Yup.

I had to sign for my Bradley in GW1.

Good thing I didn't lose it. I'd still be making payments!

:D

It should be made clear that losing gear and combat attrition are two different things.

Discarded items in a firefight is one thing. Being a knucklehead has consequenses.

Try signing for 9 P-3 aircraft, $3M OPTAR and untold $$ spare parts...gray hair, anyone?

Heard of TC's comandeering another runner when their's was ko'd but never crews, so no re-crew of AFV's. If crews can remount any AFV, you will get people having their veteran PzIII, crew swapping with their regular Panther crew and such like, which is not on.

Signing for kit is something that never appears in the Films and something that people not involved with the Services would probably find ludicrous.

I think that LeakyD has covered it succinctly

Discarded items in a firefight is one thing. Being a knucklehead has consequences.

From my experiences and what I’ve heard, as long as you have a good proportion of the bits – whether it’s a Bradley, Challenger or bog standard shovel and it was damaged by actions that you had no control over (enemy ATGM, roadside bomb or forces of nature etc) you probably are in the clear.

So when a Blackhawk pulled the plug on my Light Gun 400 feet up over a German field and gravity had it’s wicked way, I didn’t have to pay for the gun – although I signed for it. I did have to write a report, however as the rigging of the gun for heli-lifting had been checked by a posse of people, British, German and American, I really had no case to answer. The only thing that really was strange was that although all of the gun stores (picks, axes shovels and other tools) that had been strapped to the gun were recovered by the hook up teams, the aiming posts (those red and white stripey poles – bit like stadia rods) had been put down the barrel, and the hook up teams forgot that, so at ENDEX when everybody else was chilling out and drinking Pils I had to drive all over North Germany trying to find out where they had put the wreck of my gun and rescue those two aiming posts – which probably cost less than the fuel I used to find them and certainly would have cost less than the beer I was hoping to swill.. :(

Getting back to the re-manning of Guns, must admit, if we had left the guns and then returned a bit later, whilst in theory we could have got the gun into action in a minute or so, we would probably be all over the gun platform looking at the ammunition, gun itself and immediate area just to ensure there were no booby traps or anything else that effect the safety of the crew, so it wouldn’t be a quick job getting the gun firing

To get away from Guns and back to tanks for a moment... ;)

I read that a only the tank's original crew may re-crew a tank.

Is this a coding issue similar to the gun code?

Is it a unique indentifier thing?

Is it an anti-gamey deal?

Just curious. You guys know best where your time and effort is invested for the most bang for our bucks.

I can see the possible gameyness, but would like the option of getting a tank back in action if the tank is good but the crew that bailed is below minimums and another crew is available.

Combining two partial crews to get a lightly damaged tank back into the battle would be nice as well.

I completely understand the probable rarity of these events, but wanted to know how difficult/time consuming it may be to include them at some future time.

--

From my experiences and what I’ve heard, as long as you have a good proportion of the bits – whether it’s a Bradley, Challenger or bog standard shovel and it was damaged by actions that you had no control over (enemy ATGM, roadside bomb or forces of nature etc) you probably are in the clear.

During the War (yes, that war), whenever a USN ship was lost there was always a Board of Inquiry. Usually it cleared the captain, who then continued his career unimpeded. However, there were a few that ended up with such jobs as overseeing a potato storage depot in Idaho, etc.

Michael

In the pregame set up you can swap around crews. In CMSF I've bailed a LAV crew and put them in the LAV-AT during set up and generally shuffled them all about before hitting start, they then seemed to become dedicated to the machine after start.

That makes sense as by far most of the time, reassignment or redistribution of crews would not be done under fire. We may all have read exceptions to that rule, but those exceptions were notable and noted precisely because they were unusual.

Michael

During the War (yes, that war), whenever a USN ship was lost there was always a Board of Inquiry. Usually it cleared the captain, who then continued his career unimpeded. However, there were a few that ended up with such jobs as overseeing a potato storage depot in Idaho, etc.

Michael

I've heard that grounding a ship was also a bad thing to do for a career in the navy. :)

I've heard that grounding a ship was also a bad thing to do for a career in the navy. :)

It does tend to get frowned upon. Somewhat redeemable if you manage to get free by your own efforts and no damage beyond a little scraped paint. And of course the exceptions Jon mentions. Otherwise, it's off to Idaho and a junior clerkship.

Michael