Is it really that easy to rubble a European building?

Seems to me that we might be able to get more detailed building collapses at about the same time we get different vehicle damage graphics. Vehicle damage is already tracked precisely: add some of those classes to buildings and have them drive appearance modification...

With all the footage of fighting and building damage in Misratah I was reminded of the lenghty building damage debate in CMSF forum. Lots of damage but few fully colapsed buildings. I had the same knee jerk response to watching AAR 3. The new effects will be interesting to see and obviously look forward to more detailed building damage and cover.

I too find the rubbling of solid buildings way overdone, the more if mortars are involved. Think I noticed 81 and 120mm mortars involved in this AAR on german side. Tactically they would be used agains targets in the open or with little to none overhead cover, with maybe the exception of 120mm.

Knowing his scenario, Tyrspawn probably meant to plaster the GI´s in the surrounding foxholes and otherwise suppress building occupants, which could take cover in the basements, if there were any in the game. :(

I don't know if balkan houses in the early 90's are comparable to Normandy 1944 houses. But I have seen what a variety of different calibers do to those dwellings. And have dozens of photos, not scanned though.

Roofs were usually destroyed. But direct fire weapons splat into the wall, or through the wall. Surprisingly there were small houses with hundreds of small arms hits, including 20mm, and up to 76mm bullet hits that left holes only but did not take out walls entirely.

I have a photo of the same house below and as you can see what I described above.

http://skiprhode.com/w7.html

I think that the buildings all imploded too uniformly, representing a controlled demolition far more than a random detonation of shells.

Rubble used to be one of my fav terrains, especially for tank hunter teams. Maybe future releases could add some variety to the buildings intial trashed state with the inclusion of one or more partially standing walls.

Maybe all that's needed for now is to mod the rubble graphics so that bits of wall are still standing? I noticed in the AAR that at least one of the collapsed buildings still contained GIs who were combat ready.

I don't know if balkan houses in the early 90's are comparable to Normandy 1944 houses. But I have seen what a variety of different calibers do to those dwellings. And have dozens of photos, not scanned though.

Roofs were usually destroyed. But direct fire weapons splat into the wall, or through the wall. Surprisingly there were small houses with hundreds of small arms hits, including 20mm, and up to 76mm bullet hits that left holes only but did not take out walls entirely.

I have a photo of the same house below and as you can see what I described above.

http://skiprhode.com/w7.html

hey that photo illustrates it quite well. As I said before the direct fire weapons will knock sections of the walls out but will take quite awhile before they collapse the entire wall as you are only taking it out brick (or stone) by brick .

You can see in the picture that even tho' the roof is gone the structural rafters are still there, they are the bits that bind the tops of the walls, brick or stone, together. If they go the entire mid section of the wall, away from the corner, becomes unstable and will collapse.