Rivers

How will river crossings be handled.They were handled well in CMSF.;):D

Will Armor only be able to cross water on bridges,or can our Tanks ford Rivers? Do Tanks have snorkeling capability? How will Infantry handle crossings?Are there any form of Rafts in game?Can Armor get bogged down in Rivers?Can Bridges be destroyed in the middle of a Battle?Just curious,thanks.

How will river crossings be handled.

I can't give you definitive answers, but from my reading here on the forum of BFC and beta tester replies the following:

Will Armor only be able to cross water on bridges,or can our Tanks ford Rivers?

As I recall, rivers can have one of three depths. At the shallowest depth, tracked vehicles can ford.

Do Tanks have snorkeling capability?

Good question and I haven't seen anything about this yet. My guess is that in general, no, although the DD Shermans could float in calm water and I think other Shermans were equipped to wade.

How will Infantry handle crossings?

They are able to ford all but the deepest class of river. Width might be a consideration too as wading can be quite exhausting.

Are there any form of Rafts in game?

I don't think so.

Can Armor get bogged down in Rivers?

Certainly.

Can Bridges be destroyed in the middle of a Battle?

Only by artillery.

Michael

Good question and I haven't seen anything about this yet. My guess is that in general, no, although the DD Shermans could float in calm water and I think other Shermans were equipped to wade.

Michael

Axis armour was using snorkeling equipment for river crossings in Russia in 1941, I believe? I'm not sure if that was fitted as standard, or just for a particular operation...

Axis armour was using snorkeling equipment for river crossings in Russia in 1941, I believe? I'm not sure if that was fitted as standard, or just for a particular operation...

Actually, I believe it had been fitted in anticipation of Operation Sea Lion. When that was canceled, they had a bunch of submersible tanks sitting around, so...

Michael

Since rivers are now that cool animated water sheet the trick to finding fords is going involve inspecting the riverbank. Fords have gravel entrances and exits. I don't think there's a visual cue to tell you if they're shallow or deep. If the ford won't accept a vehicle waypoint but will accept an infantry waypoint then its a deep ford.