Some Peng Challenge Threads are more interesting than others

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why but every few years or so I feel a driving need to conduct a virtual drive-by of the Peng thread.

Beyond the obvious question, as I stir my late night tea, of why the same old names keep posting on this lunatic reservation? I am still left wondering what the purpose of this particular thread is in the bold light of the 21st century.

Is it a chance to try and plant a piece of yourselves in a virtual garden in the hopes that some small portion of your identity will survive the cold dark of the end? Perhaps your own lives simply will not deliver what you hope to accomplish here in over a decades worth of inane arguments, comments and intentional obscurity.

At first, a long time ago I had raged, poked and inflamed the mad few who call this thread home. Then perhaps after my last war I think I began to understand, you all wish for solace and faternity in a world of shifting sands.

You dig in, inside this virtual trenchment and hope that the shells of reality fly past. You cling to each other so that somehow at the end of days a small splice of your soul will somehow move on, forever imprinted as pixels. Enshrined in the cold logic of ones and zeros.

Your encrypted and irrelveant banter will somehow lift you above the clouds of the end of time and act as some sort of electronic pyramid.

Ok, live with that and carry on. But I wonder if the sunrise you see outside your window. The smile in someone you love, deep, corney and cheesy as it may seem in the stark print of this post, can compare to the empty amusment of what looks to me like an eternal tennis game, increasingly less and less relevant.

In conclusion, it is time to put a flame to this thread. Peng is gone and the spirit of what he had tried to do has died with him.

Burn down these stale and dusty virtual halls. Let others pick up a torch.

In short end it, it is over. A weak shell of its former self. Stubborn self expression in the face of extinction has and alway be the sign of the last gasps of dying species.

Let younger and more vibrant souls pick up new and brighter threads; go gently into the night and be thankful you had a chance to express in the first place.

Shhh.....time for deep sleep and peace.

I don't know why but every few years or so I feel a driving need to conduct a virtual drive-by of the Peng thread.

Beyond the obvious question, as I stir my late night tea, of why the same old names keep posting on this lunatic reservation? I am still left wondering what the purpose of this particular thread is in the bold light of the 21st century.

Is it a chance to try and plant a piece of yourselves in a virtual garden in the hopes that some small portion of your identity will survive the cold dark of the end? Perhaps your own lives simply will not deliver what you hope to accomplish here in over a decades worth of inane arguments, comments and intentional obscurity.

At first, a long time ago I had raged, poked and inflamed the mad few who call this thread home. Then perhaps after my last war I think I began to understand, you all wish for solace and faternity in a world of shifting sands.

You dig in, inside this virtual trenchment and hope that the shells of reality fly past. You cling to each other so that somehow at the end of days a small splice of your soul will somehow move on, forever imprinted as pixels. Enshrined in the cold logic of ones and zeros.

Your encrypted and irrelveant banter will somehow lift you above the clouds of the end of time and act as some sort of electronic pyramid.

Ok, live with that and carry on. But I wonder if the sunrise you see outside your window. The smile in someone you love, deep, corney and cheesy as it may seem in the stark print of this post, can compare to the empty amusment of what looks to me like an eternal tennis game, increasingly less and less relevant.

In conclusion, it is time to put a flame to this thread. Peng is gone and the spirit of what he had tried to do has died with him.

Burn down these stale and dusty virtual halls. Let others pick up a torch.

In short end it, it is over. A weak shell of its former self. Stubborn self expression in the face of extinction has and alway be the sign of the last gasps of dying species.

Let younger and more vibrant souls pick up new and brighter threads; go gently into the night and be thankful you had a chance to express in the first place.

Shhh.....time for deep sleep and peace.

OR ... you could just Sod Off, that would work too.

Joe

I am still left wondering what the purpose of this particular thread is in the bold light of the 21st century.

Actually, I just came in to take a whiz and found the exit locked with a hand scrawled sign that said "Sartre was here" taped to the inside.

Michael

This is unacceptable lads, unacceptable.

The Peng Challenge Thread has been the one constant throughout the development of all the incarnations of the Combat Mission franchise and yet I see it third from the bottom of page one.

UNACCEPTABLE!

It's just a damned good thing I'm here now to keep an eye on things. I wonder, is Boo Radley good for anything, anything at all?

Joe

This is unacceptable lads, unacceptable.

The Peng Challenge Thread has been the one constant throughout the development of all the incarnations of the Combat Mission franchise and yet I see it third from the bottom of page one.

UNACCEPTABLE!

It's just a damned good thing I'm here now to keep an eye on things. I wonder, is Boo Radley good for anything, anything at all?

Joe

Does the Battlefront Forum have a spittoon?

I wonder, is Boo Radley good for anything, anything at all?

Good question. He's a bit rotund and would be awkward to use as a paperweight unless we first cut him up into handier bits. But it would be just like him to bleed all over everything. I could use a good footstool, but it would be necessary to have him deloused first. No, I'm afraid he is entirely useless. Rather like the last four decades of politicians.

Michael

OR ... you could just Sod Off, that would work too.

Joe

"Sod off"?! That is what passes for prose these days in this weak land of shadows. "Sod off", the catch phrase for the barely educated and barely literate.

If anything proves my passing point it is this dry, dead an overused cliche, aching for release from this world.

You poor and sorry old priests. The true prophets are gone. The one who could actually see the Promise Land have left the building. Leaving you sad and sorry custodians to worry the dust and clean out the collection plate.

See you in another decade. If the Good Lord is generous he will have taken most of you home. There are streets in Heaven in need of sweeping.

If Peng is stil alive, he is weeping.

"Sod off"?! That is what passes for prose these days in this weak land of shadows. "Sod off", the catch phrase for the barely educated and barely literate.

We knew you'd like it.

And in case you haven't heard, the Olde Ones are not gone.

I am an Olde One.

Joe, your junior assistance watch-beagle has been eating those funny weeds again!

Steve

I know, it's hard to keep him out of them though. We've tried shock collars and electric fences ... nothing seems to work.

Joe