New DRM explained?

I was quite happy with the e-licence system, but I understand if BFC do not want to continue using it, it's up to them. However I'm a bit concerned over their choice of the new DRM, from what I can tell so far this is how it works:

* you get four activations per licence, these cannot be retreived by unlicensing, you just get four.

* every 365 days you can get another one activation.

Maybe I'm getting worried about nothing but I think some clear explanation of how it works would be nice, and can someone answer these questions?

Can I accrue activations? e.g. if I have two left after the first year does it go back up to three after 365 days?

If I use all four in the first year for whatever reason does that mean I can only activate the game once per year after that if I need to format my local drive, upgrade or buy a new pc?

What kind of upgrade will require a new activation? Obivously a new local drive, but what about MB, Video Card, RAM?

I think the two bulleted points are the default situation. The number of additional activations is unlimited so I would presume that if you need more then you just have to contact BFC tech support and ask.

No I think you are incorrect actually - go read Moons post on the subject. What is the point of saying there is a limit to activations and then say you can have as many as you like - your logic doesnt make any sense - the whole point of the DRM is to stop people licensing a game when they havent bought it.

I think the two bulleted points are the default situation. The number of additional activations is unlimited so I would presume that if you need more then you just have to contact BFC tech support and ask.

I'm not sure this is the case, I need some official clarification on this.

Or more, if you like to **** up your system often!

Remember that the four activations is for the lifetime you own the game, if this system was in place for CMBO I'm sure I'd have to buy the game again. I'd like to play CMBN for a long time without any licence problems.

Remember that the four activations is for the lifetime you own the game, if this system was in place for CMBO I'm sure I'd have to buy the game again. I'd like to play CMBN for a long time without any licence problems.

No, if CMBO would have had this system, you could have a new activation right now, assuming you hadn't used one during the last 12 months.

Oh well, 4 activations a year is not TOO bad. It's not like Ubisoft Silent Hunter 5 which required constant internet connection even for single-play... :D That one I refused to buy, even when being fan of sub sims.

But, hard drive failures happen...and sometimes also critical software errors leading to completer re-installations (of OS too). So, personally I think 4/yr is bit on low side, would prefer something like 6 to be on safe side.

Oh well, 4 activations a year is not TOO bad. It's not like Ubisoft Silent Hunter 5 which required constant internet connection even for single-play... :D That one I refused to buy, even when being fan of sub sims.

But, hard drive failures happen...and sometimes also critical software errors leading to completer re-installations (of OS too). So, personally I think 4/yr is bit on low side, would prefer something like 6 to be on safe side.

Gosh, if that is true some people must be running with some seruous low-standard kit. >4 new systems/complete builds a year? I have had my share of failures by never to that scale.

If it did happen to me then I am confident that I could explain the situation to BF and they would see me right. If I went back to them in year 2 with another set of dreadful coincidences/failures I would expect them to look askance. Mind you, if I had had to rebuild my machine more than five times in a two year period, the extra $45 for a new copy of CMBN would be well down my list of things to swear about.