Mac version Pre-order?

As one of the very early players of CMBO I remember the slogan "if we drop any platform, it will not be the Mac". It has seemed pretty hollow for the last decade but maybe we will finally get our reward for waiting. I just hope it does not turn out to be watered-down version of the Windows game, and always a couple of builds behind.

It's not. Steve has said he's been using the OSX build for (now) three months and everything's in parity with the Windows version. Apparently even the gameplay has little discernible difference in terms of graphics/framerate according to OSX-based testers.

That said, they are working on getting both the DRM (such as it is) and digital distribution/ecommerce code all rolled into the OSX code (the later being done out of house) and hence the (slight yet annoying) delay in the announcement of OSX pre-orders.

This is dragging on rather longer than I'd like and it's making me even more impatient, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what Phil et al are going through on a daily basis. Just hope the roadblocks aren't that insurmountable.

As I understand it.

I should ask Phil Culliton if I can just have access to the Xcode project and I'll do build for myself, but I rather doubt that the BF guys would go for that sort of thing.

P.S. This also makes me wonder why they simply don't sell the OSX version on the App Store. They wouldn't even need to put in DRM code or worry about distribution problems; simply grab a yearly dev licence from Apple do the build, and post it. Apple takes care of all that (for their 30% fee) and while 30% seems much, how much is this delay and external coding costing I wonder? Again, simply my impatient $0.02.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wonder about the App Store. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing BFC would do, and the overhead seems steep at first glance, but I'd think that if anything is going to broaden the market of this game it's the App Store. From what I have read, most companies who've put their apps out on the App Store have seen a huge increase in sales. Well more than enough to offset the cost.

Apple takes care of all that (for their 30% fee) and while 30% seems much, how much is this delay and external coding costing I wonder?

I don't think the delay will cost them many sales at all, not that they are complacent about it. Pretty much all the Mac users who might buy the game will buy the game, delay or no delay is my guess.

I understand your impatience, I share it to some extent. But I try not to let it distort my sense of reality.

Michael

Snow Leopard is the minimum requirement. I have to assume Lion will work fine when it gets released late this summer (?), but given the OSX version is still "out there" we don't know how far along any testing in 10.7 might be, if the spectacularly talented OSX programmer (and hell of a man, rumour has it) Phil has even bothered to set up a separate dev machine with the latest dev build of 10.7.

Snow Leopard is the minimum requirement. I have to assume Lion will work fine when it gets released late this summer (?), but given the OSX version is still "out there" we don't know how far along any testing in 10.7 might be, if the spectacularly talented OSX programmer (and hell of a man, rumour has it) Phil has even bothered to set up a separate dev machine with the latest dev build of 10.7.

Phil, you know you're only supposed to have one login.

Well there are some others who are ADC members you know. .... :cool:

The problem is deciding which NDA to break.

Well there are some others who are ADC members you know. .... :cool:

The problem is deciding which NDA to break.

I to am an ADC member, with both dev licenses for OSX and iOS. 10.7? Nice goodness (that is, if I hypothetically have it installed on my second machine). Run it on my main iMac and risk not running a CM after a ten year drought? Not right now