Nvidia or ATI that is the question

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMD flagrantly ignores the OpenGL specification in some cases. If you're a heavy user of OpenGL-based software I would recommend Nvidia - not that they're all that awesome, they're just less awful about OpenGL than AMD.

^^^^^

What he said. After the whole craziness of the bridge way point mess (the root cause of which was AMD not implementing the OpenGL spec) and hearing Phil's fun with shaders I resolved that my next card would be an Nvidai. Not that I am expecting a panacea but the game I play is OpenGL based so it makes sense to base my purchase decision on that.

I have had both cards and none have given me any problems. Back in the old days when I was playing CMBB, the ATI card did not have the fog tables right but one day I updated the drivers and there they were but that was 8 years ago.

I have had Nvidia (GT220, GT640) and now run the ATI 7850 and I have not really had a problem in the last 3 computer builds. Bang for buck, I would recommend the ATI cards but each time I buy a new card I always go through the reviews and see how they all compare. I play CMx2 about 70% of the time but also play Bioshock and Skyrim the odd time and it works great.

One thing I did not notice is any type of improvement in using an SD for my OS and CMx2. It still takes forever to load a CMx2 game

AMD flagrantly ignores the OpenGL specification in some cases. If you're a heavy user of OpenGL-based software I would recommend Nvidia - not that they're all that awesome, they're just less awful about OpenGL than AMD.

Reminds me of an amusing blog post I read recently

http://richg42.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html

(talking about AMD):

"A complete hodgepodge, inconsistent performance, very buggy, inconsistent regression testing, dysfunctional driver threading that is completely outside of the dev's official control. Unfortunately this vendor's GPU is pretty much standard and is quite capable hardware wise, so you can't ignore these guys even though as an organization they are idiots with software"