Mission Briefing text size

I have downloaded both CMx2 games Shock Force and Afghanistan and they both have very tiny text for the mission briefing.

There is a large ammount of unused screen around the mission briefing.

I have a 1920 by 1080 resolution which is common for widescreens.

Could there be menu option to adjust the text display to widescreens or could this just automatically be adjusted to the correct size once the resolution has been determined?

I have tried the wide and tall character mod, but this doesn't appreciably fix the problem; I'm hoping there will be a better solution.

I tried to attach a screenshot but my IP was blocked temporarily.

Seconded, I tried at that same native resolution and simply can not play. It's not just the small text, but the overall UI is way too small. I find the 1360x768 just right for me, even though it's soft and fuzzy. They really need to scale the UI and text for high resolution widescreen players.

I had the same problem. There is a mod that increases the briefings text size. I regret I don't recall where I got it, but there was a link here for it a couple months ago.

I did try this mod but it didn't help the issue by very much.

What would really help is if the briefing screen itself could scale to at least the vertical extents of the screen.

I also agree with Meat Etr that the "Entire User Interface" is too small.

This would improve the over all polish of the upcoming product. Even though this might not be a dramatic change; it sure is noticeable when its not quite right. My eyesight isn't the greatest; I'd rather keep it challenged on the battlefield itself.

On a different note: I've got past some of my initial quandries about Combat Mission SF and I must say that I am very impressed with the intelligence built into this game. I'm pleasantly surprised with the path finding of squads. I was in a larger building which I was confused about the inside layout. The troops easily got to the 2nd floor where I aimed them and in a later turn they easily navigated their way out of the building and around the surrounding wall even though I waypointed them to directly load into the Stryker. I am also impressed with the targetting capabilities of the AI. I just hope they are dumbed down a little in the WWII Normandy setting. Overall if this the CMx2 engine is essentially the same as Shock Force there will be good times to be had.

While I too am in favor of a improved handling of UI resolution within the game, my gut tells me this is one of those improvements that needs significant time to get it right. Not necessarily hard, but time consuming to program and more importantly- test. Here's hoping it's "on the list".

One game I play that has impressed me with their treatment of UI customization is LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online). Enter a single key command and all the main UI screen components are outlined and labeled along with their size so you can drag and drop to your hearts content. Combined with the UI options menu that allows changing layout of toolbars from horizontal to vertical, visible vs. invisible, and a way to increase the size of all the UI components up and down with a keystroke there isn't much you can't do to perfect your personal experience. Ultimately that is where I would like to see Battlefront head with their CMx2 engine. Same could be said of re-introducing moveable waypoints in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

UI design/programming takes a lot of time, and since the focus for CMBN has been on game stuff needed for WW2 there are no big changes to the UI. A change as big as that has to wait for the next big title.

There's one little change to the briefing screen, though: the text is divided into two columns. It's easier for human eye to follow a narrower column than a full-width page, especially when glancing through a briefing.

Escenario4.jpg

your screenshot is actually readable. nice.

My native for playing this game in 1680 x 1050 for my lappy and 1900 x 1200 for my PC.

So needless to say the text is generally unreadable.

see all that black at the edges. Now imagine a standard 15.4in laptop screen and how big the text is?

Maybe I can use windows accessability features to help me read it?

5656910874_527097caaa_b.jpg