Panic has me in its tight grip! No WeGo Tcp/IP

Well FWIW I reckon its the other way round. :)

In WEGO you issue orders and sit back and see what happens. If 15 sec into the turn something unexpected happens - too bad your men are commited to the current course of action and you have 45 secs of stress and hope that at the end of the turn you'll have enough stuff left to react.

In RT you can micro manage to your heart's content and adjust as often as needed.

Guys not going where you want them to? Simple, cancel the remainder of that movement command and issue new ones.

New threat emerges? Simple. Issue new target commands and that squad will instantly react to your new orders.

If you are supposed to be the Company commander (say) then you have infinitely more control and much less lag / "friction" in RT than you RL counterpart has.

Exactly, thats one of the big differences is that WEGO really simulates being a commander, in your example, after giving orders to your aid to get the 5th Infantry to leave the trenches and assault that hill, the order is passed to the 5th's commanders, the assault commences, and then you notice some Vickers machineguns that you did not see before, to late, need to wait it out as your now committed (wait out the remaining 45 seconds), because there is no way you can order them back without a delay.

In realtime, it is as though the commander is giving orders to each individual soldier or squad, all the orders are instantly carried out, not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In realtime, it is as though the commander is giving orders to each individual soldier or squad, all the orders are instantly carried out, not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

A bit of a cross post, but ....

“zonks40“, have you read about this:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94721

It has been on the front page for about 12 days now so wasn’t sure if people weren’t interested or alternatively couldn’t be bothered reading beyond the first 2 or 3 “sticky“ posts? :)

Exactly, thats one of the big differences is that WEGO really simulates being a commander, in your example, after giving orders to your aid to get the 5th Infantry to leave the trenches and assault that hill, the order is passed to the 5th's commanders, the assault commences, and then you notice some Vickers machineguns that you did not see before, to late, need to wait it out as your now committed (wait out the remaining 45 seconds), because there is no way you can order them back without a delay.

Good point.... pausing for 20 minutes and then giving orders that get carried out the moment you press go is more realistic than not being able to be everywhere at once giving commands to everybody.

What commander gives commands to every single frontline squad by messenger or radio every 60 seconds?

I understand the conundrum. In WEGO your chain of command is complete and instantaneous perfection. Your "Commander" acts like a perfect hive mind by freezing time and jumping into the mind of every level of command down to squad NCOs.

With real time you get back some of that command delay and also that confusion with orders that happens when each commander interprets what he thinks the orders actually mean. Also some of the stupidity that happens to people under pressure.

In having real time though you lose some of the initiative for those troops that you cannot control while managing others. I think its a good trade off, especially considering what the AI is.

Player VS Player is where you WEGO may have more advantages over real time. Being that in part when you move men against your enemy you may or may not be moving against human controlled men at that point in time. With WEGO you are always moving against a human. However I still consider Real Time to be much more fun and am happy to make sure I am in the right place at the right time. Not that I have ever played head to head with this game.

In fact I am kinda a rookie with this game engine in general. Only having paddled with it compared to other games. I had a lot of trouble getting in the mood so to speak to fight a theoretical enemy with modern equipment.

I agree I think RT with auto-pause every 60 seconds would be preferable to WEGO tcp-ip (with you able to issue orders in between the pauses... the pauses just giving you time to look at the "big picture" and issue orders accordingly).

Although replay is a very fun feature... it honestly isn't very realistic. It's a bit TMI, especially for WW2.

Although replay is a very fun feature... it honestly isn't very realistic.

Of course it isn't realistic, but it is fun. It is grossly enjoyable to see you opponent walk into your carefully placed ambush and do so from diverse angles and powers of zoom. It is also super-abundantly fun to watch as your Firefly gets the killing hit on the Panther, over and over again whilst screaming "Target!".

On the other hand looking at a bunch of smoking hulks, or a scattering of dead pixeltruppen, whilst having no idea of what caused their destruction because you were paying attention alsewhere on the map at the time is not fun. It is just frustrating.

CM is a game, if it is not fun why play it.

Of course it isn't realistic, but it is fun. It is grossly enjoyable to see you opponent walk into your carefully placed ambush and do so from diverse angles and powers of zoom. It is also super-abundantly fun to watch as your Firefly gets the killing hit on the Panther, over and over again whilst screaming "Target!".

On the other hand looking at a bunch of smoking hulks, or a scattering of dead pixeltruppen, whilst having no idea of what caused their destruction because you were paying attention alsewhere on the map at the time is not fun. It is just frustrating.

CM is a game, if it is not fun why play it.

Exactly - I play wargames because it's like elaborate chess - ie. far more variables. I want to be able to try to outthink my opponent. I want to be able to apply my theories to the simulated battlefield to see if I did outthink my opponent or if he outthought me. Either way, it's an intellectual exercise which is also fun. The morale effects on my pixeltruppen are a factor I have to take into account. It's not meant to be real, it's meant to be based on reality.