Amazing pictures from the ISS

Other Means

I like the one gazing out the porthole - photos of people in places are way more interesting than photos of places alone. That one - the porthole gazer - looks like someone gazing out their living room windows, except that instead of taking in dusk on the coast, she's taking in the whole freaking world at a glance. The combination of prozaic and spectacular is incredible.

His reflections on the emotional impact - rather than the usual technical/scientific mumbo-jumbo - of being in space are also quite moving.

This is one of my favorite Earth Shots, but I don't think it's a Hubble shot.

Rub%27_al_Khali_%28Arabian_Empty_Quarter%29_sand_dunes_imaged_by_Terra_%28EOS_AM-1%29.jpg

Some times its an optical delusion (sic). The sand dunes are hills then sometimes they look like the valleys.

Man that's trippy, seriously looks like something out of an LSD trip. The repetitive nature of it especially.

How do you get it to make it an optical illusion? Do I need to focus on something specific cause nothing's happening to me.

How do you get it to make it an optical illusion? Do I need to focus on something specific cause nothing's happening to me.

It's a mental thing. Normally I see it as being illuminated from the upper left, but if I imagine the light as coming from the lower right, the heights become depressions and vice versa. But there are better examples of the phenomenon than this.

Michael