A few tweaks that need to be made

When I say simulation, I mean to training standards - as in you will learn something that you can use in RL. I don't think that any commercial game has met those standards as DoD tried investing on COTS (commercial off the shelf) games in the 90's thru a few years ago, but wasn't very successful. Most of the $ now goes to big research outfits like USC's ISI labs in Marina del Rey etc.

I just want to control when my BMP-1 fires its HE gun or AT missles! Geeeezzzz.

I wonder if it would be practical to bring back a menu like in CMx1 where you could choose between main gun + machine guns or just machine guns, when area firing with a tank. But ONLY when using target light, you could then select which weapons you want. This way you can have finer controls if you want, but still the old behaviour in the other case.

Yeah, I agree with you and Lanzfield. It's frustrating when it fires a valuable missile, when a few rounds of HE would do. I also hate having to do a waypoint dance to restrict the number of round fired.

But, then I realize that we're lucky to have ANY game company developing amazing quality entertainment games like these for us grognards. I often feel sorry for the BF staff for all the flack they have to deal with. It's HARD to design and program games.

Again...since we are tweaking here....

1. I want to control if my BMP-1's use the AT missle OR the HE gun. I select area fire and they shoot 1 shell then 1 AT missle and spend 60 seconds or so reloading the AT missle and not shooting anything! I just wanted to hit the area with 3 or 4 HE rounds!

Lanzfeld,

I totally agree. I always play WEGO so I would also like to see the ability to name the number of rounds to be put on a target. (ie: Tank #1 - 2 HE rounds on that building to the left of the mosque). Probably too difficult to code.

Ron

It's good that one can do these quick fixes, but it's a pain and slows down making a move - esp if you are doing this for several units. There is also a increased risk of getting a movement order wrong and (say) having a unit reverse to a point that you needed it to move fast to etc.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe our SASR is 5.56, and it is accurate out past 600m. Don't insult my intelligence, I'm well aware that a lot goes in to long range marksmanship, which is why our snipers have to go through so much training. It depends on the Soldier and their experience level, but it is also still very possible to hit targets out to 300m with an M4 in a combat situation especially with an ACOG. I at least expect them to hit targets that far out when they are lying prone on a berm, have not been running, and are not being shot at. But if the enemy can hide from my guys IN THE OPEN, and I can't do anything about it but wander a Stryker or a squad in to get nailed, it's a little ridiculous. I understand them being able to hide from my behind cover/concealment and can take measures to negate the risks of getting hit from there, but if the enemy can be completely invisible in an open flat area whenever they want, that's a little much especially when I have a sniper team that is well trained in target detection positioned in a good vantage point that still cannot see them. Snipers are very effective for recon and target detection and can take out important targets at long range IRL, but if they can't detect a BIG ATGM launcher sitting in the middle of a runway and they can't hit the broad side of a barn at 500m that makes them completely useless.

Recce: I have seen that feature in other wargames, and you are right, that would be very useful and would speed up gameplay no end.

I think the longest part of doing my turns is figuring out all the LOS from the various waypoints to ensure either safety, or that I can hit a desired target.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe our SASR is 5.56, and it is accurate out past 600m.
No, but maybe you are thinking of Mk.12 SPR, which is more a designated marksman's rifle. But yeah, it is quite capable past 600m. 5.56mm versus 7.62mm ballistics is really irrelevant to the topic. It is not really harder to hit a target at 300m with a 5.56 M4 than it is to do so with an equivalent rifle in 7.62, all other factors equal. Caliber is not going to be the determining factor at that range.

The one feature I would kill for is the ability to click on a unit and see its LOS. Shade areas with no LOS, or color the grid red/yellow/green, or WHATEVER - just let me know what the unit can see without having to click "target" and drag the pointer around.

Ditto for next available game new features are going in. I too have seen this feature in other games.

A) no its not gamey

and

B) no I have no clue how hard it is (seems to be the two criteria for an idea).

I'd love dull way points showing when Toggle show all move paths is active.

Also hit dismount a lot when unbuttoning. This can lead to issues when you don't catch it in time during a PBEM game. I know I can change this myself but the next game I'd appreciate default setup to have dismount moved away from any other hotkey.

I would like it if snipers could have a 'setup' a la the MG of whatever length is deemed needed. Once done, BIG bonus to spotting and accuracy. Before they set up I'd be happy if they perform as infantrymen with big rifles.

In playing Alex's "HardRock" scenario the other day, I noticed that my MG3 team had ">1k" rounds. But when I moved the team from the action spot where they were when I loaded the scenario to another place in the setup zone (that is, before I hit the Go button), the ammo count dropped to "400". This tells me that a crew-served weapon team gets extra ammo if left in place, as if they were already dug in and had surplus ammo to hand.

If this "already set up" functionality is in place, why not apply it to snipers? Granted, these days snipers don't "live" in the prone position amid tall grass and shrubbery. But wouldn't a sniper team that was already in position (on an elevation with long lines of sight) before the start of a scenario have gotten rifle and spotting scope set up and done a thorough scan of the terrain and estimated ranges to certain spots and so forth?

As far as I know, all weapons and units share ammo now (if applicable, meaning same ammo type). I could be wrong, though, and I certainly haven't tested this. I know small arms ammo is shared, as well as MG ammo and GILL missiles. That's the ones I have seen explicitly being shared.