Artillery

BillyR

Can I ask a couple of things about arty (sorry if they've been asked)

1. Why is it so random on placement? I mean because of the scale of the maps, I could be wrong and it's as accurate as it can be...but it seems very innacurate. One of my friends was a Gunnery Sergeant Major and according to him, arty can be dropped within 10m accuracy from distances greater than 5 miles

2. As a result of this apparent innacuracy, why do we not have the ability to adjust drop? Again from what he says, you'd normally get a shot or two dropped on target area and then be allowed the ability to move the shot...spotting rounds I think he called them.

If it's a limit of the engine, fine...but I often feel arty is not only slow (10 minutes at times??) but wildly innacurate to the point where it's not worth my while using it. I need "eyes on" the enemy in order to send in a strike...but the eyse sometimes take casualties from the arty.

Also, with the length of time it takes, it's kind of difficult to employ effectively. A barrage that takes 10 minutes to drop?? My troops will be inside the compound by then...so I need to keep them back...and that's 10 minutes from a 60 minute scenario??

No bitching...just asking.

Thx - AND GET NATO RELEASED!!!

As above really - but if playing as Blue, what I do is get a quality FO up to the front asap, get them in a good high spot, and set a barrage to use light/maximum and then whatever the type. Then you can reposition it to your hearts content with the minimum of delay.

Don't forget too, TAC AIR is only really good for air support, and Mortar observer/FO etc etc are better at laying down artillery. You have to make sure they have good line of sight, are well rested, and have good green indicators to maxmise their potential! What I'm really trying to say, is use the proper asset for the best results. Don't go expecting a highly accurate barrage when using the wrong type of observer.

There's room for improvement. Here are some old threads.

From this thread

http://battlefront.com/community/sho...ight=artillery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good morning, Sir! You're back from the Brigade meeting sooner than I expected. What's the word for today?" asked the Artillery Battalion's First Sergeant.

"Well," replied the Artillery Battalion Commander, "Brigade is going to push hard this way." He emphasized the direction by smacking the situation map. "We're going to be on tap to provide support for the lead battalion. The plan is for them to take this village, here." So saying, he pointed his laser pointer right at the village on the map. "We'll have 2 hours till it kicks off. Let's get a rough plan going."

"Yes, Sir!" said the First Sergeant.

The Commander and First Sergeant then planned how to support the operation. They brought in the staff, prepped the men, ammoed the guns, laid in all the things that need laying. In short, a crack team of professionals went about their business.

Two hours later...

"Any word, Sparks?" asked the Commander of the radio net chief.

"Ah, just a minute, sir. Something's just coming in. I'll put it on speaker!"

"Arty support! We need arty support! This is zebra06, requesting a fire mission, come in!" squawked the radio.

"My God, man!! That's what we've been preparing for!" shouted the Commander. "Answer him, dammit, Sparks!"

Sparks keyed the mike: "Go ahead Zebra06, this is your Arty support. We've been humping ammo all day, waiting for your call!"

The voice replied, "Zebra06, requesting 2 tubes of 155, medium duration, medium attack, personnel, area target at coordinates AB123456. I say again, 2 tubes, medium, medium, personnel, area, at AB123456. Over."

"Hang on there Sparks," said the Commander. "First Sergeant. How long will it take us to figure out how to get a round over to AB123456. Isn't that the area we were briefed to expect?"

"Yes, sir! That's right where we expected the support call! We're ready. Let me look up the response time in the charts..." Quickly, the First Sergeant flipped through his charts. "I've got the answer, sir! Ten minutes!!"

"What? Ten minutes?" queried the Commander.

"Yes sir. Ten minutes." was the reply.

"Very well." The Commander turned to Sparks. "Tell them their arty support will be there in ten minutes."

Sparks did just that...

The radio crackled, "WHAT!?!? We're getting nailed. I SAW you at the Brigade meeting. What have you been doing all day!!!"

The Commander grabbed the mike, "Sorry, we're doing our best. Ten minutes. Oh, and we only have enough ammo for, say, two of those medium/medium missions. We got tired carrying those heavy things."

Another thread:

And,

Last,

Thoughts?

Ken

Lots of times I've had someone call in an artillery strike then in that 4-5 minute wait for the first shells I forget and move him outside of LOS! Ooops! No way for him to correct that first round fall unless he can see it! Something similar happens if the FO gets supressed or wounded at exactly the wrong time. A cowering soldier doesn't make a very good artillery spotter.

Lots of times I've had someone call in an artillery strike then in that 4-5 minute wait for the first shells I forget and move him outside of LOS! Ooops! No way for him to correct that first round fall unless he can see it! Something similar happens if the FO gets supressed or wounded at exactly the wrong time. A cowering soldier doesn't make a very good artillery spotter.

Ah I was wondering if that was what was going on. Tried to adjust a fire mission while my FO was suppressed and could only cease fire.

I believe it does as they use the warriors special periscope sights, also it can look over rises.

Now what i want are my SF GPMG's to be able to do indirect long range Grid-Ref beaten zones to pin the enemy down.

*Edit* just read elswhere that it doesnt have any spotting bonus' just better coms.

Question - when in a Warrior and you have a spotter in there...and presumably he's using the warrior periscope thingy - do you select the warrior or the spotter for directing? Just wondering if the spotter (from inside the vehicle) is able to get eyes on target? I haven't tried it yet so don't know....

I'm thinking specifically if the Warrior is in the hull down position - your spotter is going to be even lower than the rise - so I was wondering if the spotter had the same LOS as the warrior?

Question - when in a Warrior and you have a spotter in there...and presumably he's using the warrior periscope thingy - do you select the warrior or the spotter for directing? Just wondering if the spotter (from inside the vehicle) is able to get eyes on target? I haven't tried it yet so don't know....

I'm thinking specifically if the Warrior is in the hull down position - your spotter is going to be even lower than the rise - so I was wondering if the spotter had the same LOS as the warrior?

I think it doesn't matter. You can easily see this by looking at the time it takes to call in the strike. Also in some vehicles you need to UNBUTTON the spotter before he can use the optics. This depends on the specific vehicle, so you'll need to experiment with this.

A last point, the mast on the warrior is an antenna, but spotting is NOT calculated from the highest point (game engine limitation).

Good luck!

I thought it did matter. At least if your talking generally between passengers and vehicle. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember there being a difference between FO's and their vehicles. If your talking specifically warrior/FO, then I'm not sure. Since Army I've always used the FO.

I thought it did matter. At least if your talking generally between passengers and vehicle. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember there being a difference between FO's and their vehicles. If your talking specifically warrior/FO, then I'm not sure. Since Army I've always used the FO.

I'm sure for the Stryker arty observer vehicle it needs to be the FO selected as the Stryker is denied, so with that logic you should allways choose the FO?

I'm sure for the Stryker arty observer vehicle it needs to be the FO selected as the Stryker is denied, so with that logic you should allways choose the FO?

Always pick the FO. You will notice that the time to call in a strike goes down when he's in an observer vehicle compared to on foot or in another vehicle. I believe that this is the only advantage that observer and recon vehicles give you in the game. I have yet to notice spotting advantages.

The device on the top of the mast in the Warrior observation vehicle is the Man-portable Surveillance and Target Acquisition Radar (MSTAR).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-packable_Surveillance_and_Target_Acquisition_Radar

It should realistically help spot vehicles but I don't believe that this is modeled in the game. With that said though, the Wiki page says the device detects targets out to 30km, yet there is no mention of a minimum range. Considering CM maps are generally not more than 2km across, I suppose there could be a minimum range that makes it not relevant to CM.