Artillery

BillyR

I'm sure for the Stryker arty observer vehicle it needs to be the FO selected as the Stryker is denied, so with that logic you should allways choose the FO?

I can't remember if it was based off of a question I asked (I remember a bit of a learning curve with Arty), or a thread I found on search...and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the crew doesn't actually use the extra equipment in the FO vehicles. Only the FO's do. That was the reason to never pick the vehicle.

I too have never noticed any spotting advantages, but there is a major disadvantage I have noticed. They are far easier for the enemy to spot. I normally only use the vehicle if its in the rear with the gear.

Vehicles equipped with dedicated target acquisition/observation equipment, most notably the US LRAS3, do get a major spotting advantage. Especially at night or when there's a lot of normal (i.e. not IR blocking) smoke around the battlefield.

Correct that the vehicle is a tool and like all tools is only as good as its operator. If you select the vehicle you are, in effect, selecting the crew of the vehicle to act as spotter. This is allowed but it is suboptimal. Always select the FO. This also helps if the FO dismounts or bails out during a call. As long as he maintains a C2 link with the Support Asset the mission should continue on just fine. Obviously if the FO is now out of LOS of the target that can affect accuracy, but that can happen if you move the vehicle out of LOS anyway.

Steve

What if the FO is at the crest of a hill with the vehicle just below and behind him but with a C2 link? Can the FO put in a request through the vehicles comms equipment, but dismounted so he has line of sight, but the vehicle remains masked from the target?

Forgive my ignorance, but would it require a major change to the code to draw line of site from the highest point of suitably equiped vehicles? In my opinion it would make a big difference to gameplay!

Here's another question: I believe that hiding reduces general spotting performance, at least for dismounted troops, but does hiding affect artillery/air spotting performance? I almost always leave my FO units on hide, but am wondering if a short range target arc might be better.