Low Frame Rate CMBB

My CM:BB became really really slow after changing my computer. Now CM:BB has very very low frame rate in battlefield. It doesn't slow down at all in menus and stuff. Any ideas?

My new com:

Asus P4PE

P4 2533MhZ

512 DDR RAM

GF4 Ti4200

My sound card is intergrated so I can't tell the model.

Windows XP

Thanks for answers.

[ April 13, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr DeadMeat ]

Is it really slow during all your games or just when you're playing in a heavily forested area? If it's just during games with a lot of trees, try knocking back the tree coverage ( SHIFT + T ) to moderate or sparse. Reducing the terrain element display ( SHIFT + N ) & horizon range ( SHIFT + H ) helps a bit too, but the big one is the amount of trees. That's all I know about this one; sorry I can't be of more assistance.

The problem could very well be your videocard drivers. Nvidias newest drivers, version 43.45, caused my framerates to crawl after I installed them and I had to uninstall them and revert to an older version. You might have had these preinstalled on your computer.

You can find older drivers on Nvidias homepage in their Drivers archive

You'll have to experiment some I'm afraid.

[Edit]

In case you can't find your way through Nvidia's web site here is a link to the version 29.42 drivers. These work with CMBB, you will get decent frame rates though some features are not perfect.

[ April 13, 2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Kalle ]

Most likly the drivers.

I have an Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4200.

I had the 41 drivers on there, works fine no prolbem. Now the new drivers, 43 come out, I install them and try CMBB.

CMBB is so slow, no matter what I do or where I look, the screen moves very slowly, it's like I am getting 5FPS of something.

So I reverted back to my old 41 drivers and works just fine again.

So that might be your problem.

The 30.82 drivers don't support Geforce 4-series cards though. They will work with them without problems, but they won't give optimum perfromance.

If you play other games than CMBB I advise you to use newer drivers for better overall performance. The 29.42 drivers are a newer version than 30.82, I should probably add, Nvidia's numbering system is just funky.

What you give up with the 29.42 drivers in CMBB is only antialiasing as far a I know.

Forgive me. Not to be argumentative, but I believe you're mistaken. If you have an 8X AGP version of the Ti4200 (what's the point of that, really?), then you indeed have to modify the .ini file to get 30.XX files to work.

But with the original 4X AGP Ti4200s, 30.82s work just fine, including AA and AF support.

Meat,

I have a somewhat similar system to yours, at least as far as the video card: Athlon 2100, 1 gig RAM, Ti4200/128 meg RAM.

I am by no means a techie. However, you may want to make sure that anti aliasing is turned off. If it is on, your frame rate will drop to a crawl. I had turned on AA, and it made my system crawl.

Cheers, Richard :D

Originally posted by Kalle:

The 30.82 drivers don't support Geforce 4-series cards though. They will work with them without problems, but they won't give optimum perfromance.

If you play other games than CMBB I advise you to use newer drivers for better overall performance. The 29.42 drivers are a newer version than 30.82, I should probably add, Nvidia's numbering system is just funky.

What you give up with the 29.42 drivers in CMBB is only antialiasing as far a I know.

You sure about that. I have a Ti4400 and I get nearly as good numbers in 3dmark (easy test) and similar, if not better, performance in anything else using the 30.82s. You might have meant to say they did not support the newer series (8x 4200s, 4800s and FXs) too well, which is true.

WWB

Could someone identify the specific .ini file that has to be modified in order to use 30.82 with an 8X AGP card. I have an EVGA GForce Ti 4600 8X AGP and am currently using the 41.09 drivers. This works well but if I want to use anti-aliasing I have to alt-tab and then bring the application back up in order to see the text. A small price to pay but I would prefer not to have to do that. My other machine has a Jaton GForce Ti4600 4X AGP card and uses the 30.82 drivers with no problem.

If anyone has the specifics with the .ini file and the entry to put in it, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks and God Bless.

Hi all... I'm sharing CMDR DeadMeat's problem.

I'm currently using a "backup" computer with the following specs :

P4 1.6

128Mb SDRAM

Ge2 GTS 32Mb

onboard sound

Det 30.82 and Dx 8.0

In small battles I create with the mission builder it goes fine, but almost every scenario in the CD (and forget about ops) turns into a slide show.

Everything I do, from changing to lower settings ingame or disabling AA and AF doesn't change anything, even lowering the resolution to 800x600 doesn't help.

It seems a video problem because I don't notice any HD access.

In anycase, my specs are far from the required 233Mhz (as shown in the box) and I didn't have any kind of problems on my other computer (which I can't use right now) and I remember CMBO running fine in a Celeron 600 with a Voodoo3.

What was the highest version of the Detonator drivers you installed on that computer ? How did you change to your current driver version and what was the version prior to 30.82 on this machine ?

Does your video share an IRQ with any other device. On most P4 motherboards this shouldn't be too much of an issue since most of them have greater than 16 IRQs to hand out, but some motherboards may not completely operate this way. Which motherboard do you have for this machine and have you updated the BIOS (though that VERY rarely solves performance problems). Have you installed the chipset driver for your motherboard, this can sometimes help with AGP issues which could cause performance problems ?

I have installed the latest Via 4in1 drivers for my MB. to be honest, I haven't tried any driver more recent than the 30.82's on this computer because of the AA problem (and because I'm using a Ge2).

Should I use a more recent one? I had the latest det's on my other machine but then again, I had a Ge4 Ti4200.

If you haven't installed anything newer than the 30.82 drivers then that should be good. I would not recommend anything newer than the 30.8x drivers for CM right now (with the exception of the 41.09's for some GeForce 4 users - with particular caveats).

Regarding video drivers you usually want to uninstall the current drivers (reboot), go back to some sort of SVGA Default or GeForce if you're running XP (possibly reboot again) and then install the new drivers. Using some specific driver removal software can help get rid of previous file versions that can cause problems.

The performance problems that you're seeing have been described by those using the 43.xx series of drivers. That's why I assumed that you may have installed them at some point.

Are you using any video 'tweaker' programs to change settings on your video (Riva Tuner, etc.) ? These programs can enable settings in the driver that may eat up a lot of performance for the sake of better images.

I haven't messed with the latest VIA chipset drivers, so I don't know if they could be at all responsible either.

I just tried the 40.72 and it improved a lot. And the best thing is that I'm using 2xAA without ANY problems (I thought that was almost impossible with 4x.xx drivers).

With AA I lowered the resolution to 800x600 and it's quite fast except on the large scenarios. I would say a 40% improvement on what I had before (same res. without AA).

I still think it should be a lot faster, but with these drivers at least it's playable.

[ April 23, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Jard ]

I just uninstalled 43.51 and went back to 30.82.

CMBB now works well again. With 43.51 I was getting bad stutter even in medium sized QB's.

Just ran and finished Royal Opponent (7900 pts on a large map) and it ran smoothly. smile.gif

Oh well, loose a few fps in FB to gain playability in CMBB.

• 2 weeks later...