My opinion of this game

I purchased this game a few weeks ago and wished it would have come out earlier in the year so I had more time to play with it. I did download the Demo and had no problems with it.

I think this game overall is really GREAT! The graphics are very detailed and watching this on a high def 20" computer screen makes it look almost like a movie...:-)

It is jerky in the Campaigns at full game speed so I play it at half speed and have no problems. There are some other minor issues that I'm sure future patches will come out to fix. I have both CMBO and CMBB which I bought soon after the were released. I think this is giant leap from those games at least in the form of graphics.

Battlefront is an excellent company to deal with and can't wait to see what comes out next!

Keep up the great work!

Warren.

As far as the game play. I have been tinkering with this game for a few weeks now. I kind of had the impression (hope) before I started playing it that the developers had made a combat simulator as close to realistic as it could be. And it was up to me to learn how to make the functions provided work just like they should in a real world battle situation. I can say that I have taken the time to learn and develop the tactics that have already been built into this game. And I am very satisfied with the depth of realism that they have captured.

If you approach the game with the understanding that before your first move you need to develop a strategy and make your moves tactically sound. That means always bringing the fire power. Attack the enemy from more than one angle. Use the terrain to your advantage. Use lots of cover fire. This isn’t a arcade / console type style GAME. It’s a simulator. Its really well done. If you haven’t figured out all the controls heres some helpful one’s that I’ve found.

Understand all the control functions. Functions are stackable. The move button defaults to Defend. The sneak button defaults to Ambush. A vehicle providing cover fire starts to take to many hits and you start to retreat it, it will still provide cover fire as it backs up unless you stop it before retreat. Attaching the infantry to tanks helps to get them forward with some protection. Attach a tank to the infantry helps the tank get through areas were the enemy could be hidden.

The performance of this game has some mixed issues. The biggest problem is the frame rates dropping off. I had this issue. But I think mine was mild compared to what I have read. When I experienced a slow down it seem to be when there was a lot of units on the map all at once. I could run the game perfectly fine on half speed all the time. On normal speed it would get alittle choppy. I did the usual clean up of my pc and trim down the processes, this alone helped a lot. I did some over clocking and it picked up on performance a lot. I’ve been thru the campaigns twice now. The second time is after I got my PC running good. I think the game is running at about 90% from perfect on normal. I can’t say the issue is the game or capability of the PC.

ASUS P5E 1600mhz Fsb

Q6600 Processor 2.4 ghz OC 3.2 ghz

Corsair H50 liquid cooler

Corsair Dominator 2gRam 1066mhz

Nvidia 8800 GTS 650m 512m

250g Raid Hardrive

1000 watt powersupply

30 inch LCD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no "memory leak". At no point does the game use more than 1.8 mb of memory in peak. If you dont have that, you would prob. have slowdowns, otherwise you are fine.

What happens is a strain on the CPU when all the shooting starts, and all the calculating of projectiles are done in realtime. If you dont have a strong CPU, that will slow the whole game down, and thats why you wil gain approx. 50% of fps if you play at half speed.

Cheers,

What is happening for peoples who are most affected by the slowdown (happening only in the campaign missions) is that the game starts very smoothly, but the more you progress in the battle, the less framerate you got, untill you've less than a frame per second (and the game becomes thus unplayable). It does'nt seems to be related to the number of units on screen, nor to the ammount of firing. Hiding dead bodies don't help, and the more you progress in the mission, the less units there is due to casualties.

At first, playing at 50% speed is helping a lot, but after a while, even at half speed you have one frame every few seconds...

I have no idea why this is happening in the campaign missions and not in the single missions. It looks like the memory is full after a while and there is not enough power to keep running the game.